or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are there any MTM companies out there that will copy a suit/coat that you supply them with?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are there any MTM companies out there that will copy a suit/coat that you supply them with?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

I own a Oxxford SC that I really love. The fit is spot on, the construction is just how I like it. (Soft shoulders, wide enough lapels, good button stance, etc.) 

I've wanted to get a matching Oxxford suit for a long time now, but since I live in Europe that's out of the question. 

 

Are there any decent and respectable MTM companies that could take this jacket (and perfect fitting trousers from some suit that I own), and basically copy/clone it? 

 

Kent Wang looked promising at first: full-canvass, good reputation, quality fabrics to choose from, etc...but from what I understand, it can be a quite lengthy and pricey process, since you're shipping the suit back and forth for modifications until it's perfect. The customs in my country can be quite difficult to work with, so I fear that I'll end up paying 2-3 times the original buying price just in customs, taxes and expensive shipping. 

 

If you know about any companies like that, please let me know. 

post #2 of 30
I don't understand why you can't send it to Oxxford and have them make the suit based on the sports coat. How would sending it to a MTM be any different, other than being less expensive?
post #3 of 30
You are wrong about the Kent Wang process. You order a stock trial suit, see how it fits, and then send it back. After that, you will receive your suit (based on how the trial one fit) in the mail. You get it tailored locally.

I would be very hesitant about sending my (presumably expensive) sport coat out to some MTM factory.
post #4 of 30
Elite Suits offers what you are looking for, and I did just what you are looking to do. They did an excellent job and I am looking forward to future purchases. They are a StyleForum sponsor as well.
post #5 of 30
Avoid Elite Suits at all costs. There are better places out there. Research here on Style Forum to find a few of them.
post #6 of 30
Redmaynes in Wigton, Cumbria, (UK)
post #7 of 30

I've never tried them out (yet) but Tiberias, who are affiliates here, seem to have some good reviews.

post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace View Post

I own a Oxxford SC that I really love. The fit is spot on, the construction is just how I like it. (Soft shoulders, wide enough lapels, good button stance, etc.) 
I've wanted to get a matching Oxxford suit for a long time now, but since I live in Europe that's out of the question. 

Are there any decent and respectable MTM companies that could take this jacket (and perfect fitting trousers from some suit that I own), and basically copy/clone it? 

Kent Wang looked promising at first: full-canvass, good reputation, quality fabrics to choose from, etc...but from what I understand, it can be a quite lengthy and pricey process, since you're shipping the suit back and forth for modifications until it's perfect. The customs in my country can be quite difficult to work with, so I fear that I'll end up paying 2-3 times the original buying price just in customs, taxes and expensive shipping. 

If you know about any companies like that, please let me know. 

Many people have explored this route before, and seldom with good result. Take something like the lapels. Even if we assume that the MTM provider gets their shape copied to a T (an unsafe assumption), there's still no guarantee that they will roll like the lapels on the Oxxford coat, for how they move and feel is down to more than the measurements. Things such as the interlining, the cloth, and -- I'm guessing here -- the interplay among the various seams that hold them in place will also greatly determine their properties.

With this in mind, imagine the challenge in trying to copy a soft shoulder or a particularly pliable canvas. Must be an absolute nightmare.
post #9 of 30
You can only copy the sizing not the attributes of the construction and sewing.
post #10 of 30
Check out the Luxire thread. Many folks have had great success, copying shirts and trousers. A few have have done with suits and jackets as well. I will probably going this route soon to stock up on some fall SC.
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post

Check out the Luxire thread. Many folks have had great success, copying shirts and trousers. A few have have done with suits and jackets as well. I will probably going this route soon to stock up on some fall SC.

Copying shirts and pants is a whole different kettle of fish. Any pics of the jackets?
post #12 of 30
Agreed.

Goto the Luxire thread, and navigate to the right to "Recent Images in this Thread" and click "View All". And here's the lazy man link: http://www.styleforum.net/t/304965/lightbox/

Most jackets posted here are unstructured or lightly structured, but they ones they do do are full canvassed.
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan5653 View Post

I've never tried them out (yet) but Tiberias, who are affiliates here, seem to have some good reviews.

 

Tiberias must have said something wrong, because their affiliate thread has been locked. The suits looked pretty good, though, and they should - they appear to be using the same manufacturer as Kent Wang and Proper Suit (and, I believe, Suit Supply). 

post #14 of 30

Mears of Walsall will copy your suit. I needed a new hacking jacket in a hurry two years ago but I've never been happy self-measuring, so I sent them a sports jacket I had had made. Their copy was perfect in every respect and I am happy to recommend them. 

 

Some time googling will bring to light many other companies that will do the same thing.

post #15 of 30
Hemerajani (Mytailor.com) did that for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are there any MTM companies out there that will copy a suit/coat that you supply them with?