or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Just spent $900 at Jos Bank
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just spent $900 at Jos Bank

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 

I've been really following a lot of forums regarding suits and style, but now I think I made a bad decision.  I am 23 years old with a banker position, so I need suits on a daily basis.  People say that Jos. Bank suits don't last and have a VERY boxy look.  I am 6'0, 190 lbs with an athletic build and broad shoulders.  In my opinion, my shoulders look extremely big with the new suits I just purchased, but my mom and gf said I am just paranoid.

 

I got the deal where it is 70% off and if you buy 3, you get 1 for free.  I thought that was a great deal and since I need a suit 5 days out of the week, and 4 suits seem really appealing.  But like with every suit I need it altered and can imagine each suit costing around 110 to 150 in alterations.  I can stick a lot more than a fist in my jacket.

 

I just want to know my options.  I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them since i didn't do any alterations to them.  I just bought it today and am regretting my decision.  I have 1 suit in my closet from high school that I can still wear for now because I start the job tomorrow, but I would like opinions on the route to go.

 

I live in the LA area and they measured me as a 42R

post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

I think I made a bad decision.  
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

In my opinion, my shoulders look extremely big with the new suits I just purchased
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

I can stick a lot more than a fist in my jacket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

I just spent 900 dollars on 4 suits but I really don't like the boxy look and can still return them


Sounds like you know what to do.
post #3 of 43
Thread Starter 

what would be my next best alternative?

post #4 of 43

Sounds like you are out of options for now, if you start the new job today and need to wear a suit five days a week.  Brooks Brothers and Suit Supply are the two most common recommendations for quality, just starting out suits.  Brooks Brothers has frequent sales, where you can get their suits for 30% off (or more if you are buying more than one).  I don't think Suit Supply has sales, but their regular prices are pretty good.  Both Brooks Brothers and Suit Supply have dedicated threads that discuss the suits, cuts, options and prices pretty extensively.  Good luck.

post #5 of 43
Most women know essentially nothing about men's attire, especially more formal dress. It is so easy to just take a girl along and defer to her judgement, but as a 26 year old that works in finance I can tell you that it is blatantly obvious who has had their clothes picked out by their moms/girlfriends and who actually makes the decisions themselves. I will admit that women seem to be good at avoiding really truly horrendous decisions, but generally speaking they do not know how to dress a man "well" on any budget.

I believe it is largely due to the fact that the types of things that are most important to women in their wardrobes (color coordination, prints, accessorizing, comfort, etc) are much more subtle in menswear or non-existent. So taking a woman suit shopping, where the keys are shoulder fit, jacket length, and very subtle color variations and patterns, is asking them to provide an opinion on something they never really consider for themselves. Worse still, many women do not even know the basic tenants of business formal dress, such as thou shall not buy a black suit or anything that can be mistaken as black, as an entry level employee thou shall dress very subtly, thou shall not buy square toe shoes, etc.

Return them. Figure out what is the bare minimum number of suits you can survive on right now (probably 2). Purchase these suits from Brooks Brothers in either Milano or Fitzgerald cuts. MAKE SURE THE SHOULDERS FIT. Buy one solid navy and one solid grey/charcoal. Don't get pinstripes.

Over the next couple of months, gradually flush out your suit wardrobe. Go shopping every weekend and try on 5-10 jackets. Figure out if you really are a 42R. Figure out if you like the modern cut suits or if you prefer more traditional ones. Figure out which brands fit you well and how much those brands can be had for. Buy one suit at a time and get them tailored. A suit should be something you respect and you should be able to think of buying one as a treat. If you treat it as a chore you will always wind up buying crappy suits in bulk because you just want to get it over with and it will show.
post #6 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug funnie View Post

Most women know essentially nothing about men's attire, especially more formal dress. It is so easy to just take a girl along and defer to her judgement, but as a 26 year old that works in finance I can tell you that it is blatantly obvious who has had their clothes picked out by their moms/girlfriends and who actually makes the decisions themselves. I will admit that women seem to be good at avoiding really truly horrendous decisions, but generally speaking they do not know how to dress a man "well" on any budget.

I believe it is largely due to the fact that the types of things that are most important to women in their wardrobes (color coordination, prints, accessorizing, comfort, etc) are much more subtle in menswear or non-existent. So taking a woman suit shopping, where the keys are shoulder fit, jacket length, and very subtle color variations and patterns, is asking them to provide an opinion on something they never really consider for themselves. Worse still, many women do not even know the basic tenants of business formal dress, such as thou shall not buy a black suit or anything that can be mistaken as black, as an entry level employee thou shall dress very subtly, thou shall not buy square toe shoes, etc.

Return them. Figure out what is the bare minimum number of suits you can survive on right now (probably 2). Purchase these suits from Brooks Brothers in either Milano or Fitzgerald cuts. MAKE SURE THE SHOULDERS FIT. Buy one solid navy and one solid grey/charcoal. Don't get pinstripes.

Over the next couple of months, gradually flush out your suit wardrobe. Go shopping every weekend and try on 5-10 jackets. Figure out if you really are a 42R. Figure out if you like the modern cut suits or if you prefer more traditional ones. Figure out which brands fit you well and how much those brands can be had for. Buy one suit at a time and get them tailored. A suit should be something you respect and you should be able to think of buying one as a treat. If you treat it as a chore you will always wind up buying crappy suits in bulk because you just want to get it over with and it will show.

This.
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug funnie View Post

Most women know essentially nothing about men's attire, especially more formal dress. It is so easy to just take a girl along and defer to her judgement, but as a 26 year old that works in finance I can tell you that it is blatantly obvious who has had their clothes picked out by their moms/girlfriends and who actually makes the decisions themselves. I will admit that women seem to be good at avoiding really truly horrendous decisions, but generally speaking they do not know how to dress a man "well" on any budget.

I believe it is largely due to the fact that the types of things that are most important to women in their wardrobes (color coordination, prints, accessorizing, comfort, etc) are much more subtle in menswear or non-existent. So taking a woman suit shopping, where the keys are shoulder fit, jacket length, and very subtle color variations and patterns, is asking them to provide an opinion on something they never really consider for themselves. Worse still, many women do not even know the basic tenants of business formal dress, such as thou shall not buy a black suit or anything that can be mistaken as black, as an entry level employee thou shall dress very subtly, thou shall not buy square toe shoes, etc.

Return them. Figure out what is the bare minimum number of suits you can survive on right now (probably 2). Purchase these suits from Brooks Brothers in either Milano or Fitzgerald cuts. MAKE SURE THE SHOULDERS FIT. Buy one solid navy and one solid grey/charcoal. Don't get pinstripes.

Over the next couple of months, gradually flush out your suit wardrobe. Go shopping every weekend and try on 5-10 jackets. Figure out if you really are a 42R. Figure out if you like the modern cut suits or if you prefer more traditional ones. Figure out which brands fit you well and how much those brands can be had for. Buy one suit at a time and get them tailored. A suit should be something you respect and you should be able to think of buying one as a treat. If you treat it as a chore you will always wind up buying crappy suits in bulk because you just want to get it over with and it will show.

 

This is good advice if OP did not start the job today.  Brooks Brothers will not have a decent sale on solid suits for at least another month, which means the best he can do is signing up for a corporate card and get two suits for $1,450 plus tax and alterations, which is kind of pricy for BB.  He also needs to hope BB will expedite the alterations.  This is why I think he might be stuck and need to keep at least one of the JAB suits.

post #8 of 43

Both Brooks Brothers and Suit Supply have dedicated threads that discuss the suits, cuts, options and prices pretty extensively.  Go shopping every weekend and try on 5-10 jackets. Figure out if you really are a 42R. Figure out if you like the modern cut suits or if you prefer more traditional ones.

post #9 of 43
BB will probably expedite the tailoring. It's the offseason, so they could probably facilitate same day service.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

BB will probably expedite the tailoring. It's the offseason, so they could probably facilitate same day service.

If it's in stock.  My experience has been that I usually had to have my size in a specific cut/color ordered from the warehouse or another store, which can take an additional day or two.

post #11 of 43
Thread Starter 
I have one suit that I have that I can wear until I find a good suit. So I believe timing is crucial but i don't need it immediately. I think bb is a bit out of my budget and hoping to wait for a sale. I have a 15% corporate discount but doesn't really help that much.

Next best option right now is j crew but I just don't think they are business appropriate
post #12 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwang1219 View Post

I have one suit that I have that I can wear until I find a good suit. So I believe timing is crucial but i don't need it immediately. I think bb is a bit out of my budget and hoping to wait for a sale. I have a 15% corporate discount but doesn't really help that much.

Next best option right now is j crew but I just don't think they are business appropriate

Did you read the posts about suitsupply.com? Or Kentwang.com (MTM, a little more extensive) or Howardyount.com?

post #13 of 43
I believe OP also posted this in the "Ask a question, get an answer" thread, and the background is that he works at a Chase retail branch, which, I shit you not, requires its employees to wear a black suit.

Or, in lieu of a suit, they can wear a Chase-branded sweater facepalm.gif I wish I were making this up.

Quoting Van Veen:
Quote:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xGeFmYuifxsJ:betweenmypeers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/chase_dressguidelines.doc+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

"Professional Apparel – Branch Managers, Personal Bankers, Business Bankers, Loan Officers

c. Men and Women must wear a black dress jacket, blazer, or suit. Chase Brand approved sweaters (cardigan and V-neck sweaters) may be worn in place of a jacket."

OP, given that this dress code is completely insane, that you will never look good wearing what they require, and that you (hopefully?) don't want this job for the long-term, buy the cheapest thing you can. 4 suits for $900 ain't bad. Just buy the closest thing to your size and have them tailored (sleeve and trouser length, take in the waist, etc).
post #14 of 43

One of the things you do not mention is your budget.  You have $900 for 4 suits.  Quantity wise, you aren't going to get a better deal than that.  HOWEVER, if you want better quality suits that won't break the bank, you can use that initial $900 for 2 suits and like what other people have stated slowly build your collection.

 

I'd hit up stores like Nordstrom Rack, Century 21, Off Saks Fifth, Syms, as well as any outlet stores near by.

 

Brands I would recommend:

Hickey by Hickey Freeman, Jack Victor, Joseph Abboud, Hardwick, Hart Shaffner Marx, Brooks Brothers 346 (outlet line)....

 

Colors:

Start off with Gray/Charcoal and Navy as the two suit purchases

 

Assuming that budget is a concern, once you purchase your first two, then you can build your wardrobe in a couple of different ways:

1) look for better brands at various stores

2) use the thrift store on forums

3) ebay --> do your research before committing

 

Also search the forums more and it will help you a bunch. 

post #15 of 43
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. As stated I do need a black suit but I don't mind getting 1 black, tailor the one I have now and then getting a navy suit.

My budget is around 700 800 before alterations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Just spent $900 at Jos Bank