or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys, how many of you can honestly tell if somebody is wearing a quality suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guys, how many of you can honestly tell if somebody is wearing a quality suit? - Page 3

post #31 of 74
Come to think it over, probably the biggest giveaway is not the suit itself but the shoes. If a guy is wearing a pair of unshined casual bluchers with thick rubber soles (something I see all too often), I immediately surmise the suit is probably a cheapie.
post #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFu View Post

Just out of curiosity, what brand of suit was he so adamant about advertising on his sleeve? I hope it wasn't Pronto Uomo...
The suits were Canali and the jacket was Burberry... IIRC
post #33 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Come to think it over, probably the biggest giveaway is not the suit itself but the shoes. If a guy is wearing a pair of unshined casual bluchers with thick rubber soles (something I see all too often), I immediately surmise the suit is probably a cheapie.

Ha, you're probably right. A quality pair of shoes is a more foreign idea to people than a quality suit...
post #34 of 74

It's interesting that the standard of connoisseurship in painting is to be able to recognize the artist in a work that one has not seen before. I would think that with enough experience and training, one might be able to tell the difference, not only between an expensive and cheap suit, but between a Huntsman and A&S, or a Roman and a Neapolitan style suit. For instance, a cran necker lapel and roped shoulders can give away a Parisian suit.  Part of the benefit of looking at Styleforum and other sources is to develop an eye for the tailoring details that, like brushstroke and color, can identify an artist.

post #35 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSox View Post

It's interesting that the standard of connoisseurship in painting is to be able to recognize the artist in a work that one has not seen before. I would think that with enough experience and training, one might be able to tell the difference, not only between an expensive and cheap suit, but between a Huntsman and A&S, or a Roman and a Neapolitan style suit. For instance, a cran necker lapel and roped shoulders can give away a Parisian suit.  Part of the benefit of looking at Styleforum and other sources is to develop an eye for the tailoring details that, like brushstroke and color, can identify an artist.

 

crackup[1].gif

post #36 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Come to think it over, probably the biggest giveaway is not the suit itself but the shoes. If a guy is wearing a pair of unshined casual bluchers with thick rubber soles (something I see all too often), I immediately surmise the suit is probably a cheapie.


This is the first place I look as well.

post #37 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post

Come to think it over, probably the biggest giveaway is not the suit itself but the shoes. If a guy is wearing a pair of unshined casual bluchers with thick rubber soles (something I see all too often), I immediately surmise the suit is probably a cheapie.

You mean shoes like these:

The picture above makes me sad (that such a thing should exist).

post #38 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

 

crackup%5B1%5D.gif

 

Why do you think this is so funny?

post #39 of 74

hi gentlemen,

 

I was reading the above, and I read something about cleaners who press your lapel flat.

Now, I just bought a tailor made suit, but it was a cheap job and the lapel rolls don't seem to be done properly.


Is there a way to fix this? What makes the lapel roll anyway, the inner canvas? And do the use heat to roll it?

Hence if it isn't rolled properly, it is possible that the didn't craft the suit properly?

 

Regards,

Joshua

post #40 of 74

I would be the first to say that my own eye is not well trained enough to recognize the maker of a suit on sight.  But as you get more experience looking at clothes, you start to pick up on more details.  For instance, it's rare to find a cran necker lapel on a non-French suit.  If a suit is straight hanging with lapped seams, a hook center vent, no darts, and 3-roll-2 buttons, it's likely J. Press or a similar traditional American clothier.  If painting seems too "high art" of an analogy, think of antique dealers.  After enough years they can start to identify the maker or at least the general school of certain kinds of furniture.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who can do the same thing with cars.  

post #41 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

 

Why do you think this is so funny?

Because it's over the top to say that with "training" you'd be able to make out the difference between specific tailors (I am pretty sure Crimson was being sarcastic in that post). Since VinnyMac has made it clear that he has nothing but disdain for this thread, I suppose he found it amusing (and, if taking sarcastically, in concordance with his point of view).

post #42 of 74

If experienced people can do it with paintings, furniture, and cars, I don't see why suits would be any different.  What would surprise me is if someone like Manton or Despos never had any idea of the period, style, or maker of any suits.  In fact, Manton did a profile on suit silhouettes in 2007: http://www.styleforum.net/t/48875/manton-suit-thread#post_754224

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFu View Post

Because it's over the top to say that with "training" you'd be able to make out the difference between specific tailors 

post #43 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFu View Post

Because it's over the top to say that with "training" you'd be able to make out the difference between specific tailors (I am pretty sure Crimson was being sarcastic in that post). Since VinnyMac has made it clear that he has nothing but disdain for this thread, I suppose he found it amusing (and, if taking sarcastically, in concordance with his point of view).

 

He wasn't being sarcastic and it's really not immpossible at all.

post #44 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

 

He wasn't being sarcastic and it's really not immpossible at all.

I'll have to take your word for it as I don't know how you'd go about differentiating specific tailors. I have two suits from the same Savile Row tailor, but since I asked for very different details (including different shoulder and sleeve-head configurations), the two suits look almost nothing alike, other than both being vaguely English.

 

I'm not being dismissive, I just genuinely don't know how you'd do it.

post #45 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSox View Post

If experienced people can do it with paintings, furniture, and cars, I don't see why suits would be any different.  What would surprise me is if someone like Manton or Despos never had any idea of the period, style, or maker of any suits.  In fact, Manton did a profile on suit silhouettes in 2007: http://www.styleforum.net/t/48875/manton-suit-thread#post_754224

 

With paintings, the technique is right on the canvas (along with a signature biggrin.gif). With furniture, I think most experts validate their assumptions about the maker by inspecting the construction. As a serious car enthusiast (who can describe pretty much any car on sight), even certain very good AC Cobra replicas, for example, require popping the hood or inspecting the door jam to confirm their real vintage (some, using the proper cast-iron 427, sound exactly like the real thing).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Guys, how many of you can honestly tell if somebody is wearing a quality suit?