or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 358

post #5356 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Related to StyleForum, there have been a bunch of complaints circling around about how fashion designers don't market clothes for average (read: overweight) women. Seems odd to me that if there's really demand, nobody has filled it. Capitalists leaving money on the table? Seems like there's some more complicated dynamics going on than "they're just not available." Seems likely that there's some self-reinforcing patterns, like the desirable brands are the ones worn by skinny women.
We had a family friend who went to FIT and specialized in designing stuff for middle aged women. I forget what he called it. It is definitely a market and attended to, but it is not high profile. Vogue doesn't do articles about the hot new designer for fatties and housewives but WWD might and the real trade mags certainly do. The industry knows who they are.
post #5357 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

We had a family friend who went to FIT and specialized in designing stuff for middle aged women. I forget what he called it. It is definitely a market and attended to, but it is not high profile. Vogue doesn't do articles about the hot new designer for fatties and housewives but WWD might and the real trade mags certainly do. The industry knows who they are.

Karl Lagerfeld went to FIT!!!???
post #5358 of 5646
So I guess the cosmetics industry figured that since they've convinced teenage girls around the world that they are better looking with tons of makeup on then without, that its time to do the same to teenage boys:


http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/covergirl-names-teen-james-charles-coverboy-article-1.2827045
post #5359 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

So I guess the cosmetics industry figured that since they've convinced teenage girls around the world that they are better looking with tons of makeup on then without, that its time to do the same to teenage boys:


http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/covergirl-names-teen-james-charles-coverboy-article-1.2827045

More of an embrace of relatively marginal gay subcultures than anything else, a quick look at more "edgy" fashion publications like Dazed will show you their typical articles are now titled something like "5 gender non-conforming mixed-race trans artists under 5 who create the most exciting multidisciplinary feminist skater-themed art." (cue-in friends of the publications in a rancid display of clannish you hashtag me I hashtag you). We did arrive at a time where there is a little more male grooming than in recent decades but that is about it. Men in skirts and makeup aren't happening more than fetch outside of where they were already happening in the 80s.

#youth #queer #blacklivesmatter #contemporaryart #feminism #skate #pleasebuygucci


ps: men, on average, greatly underestimate the amount of makeup they prefer on a woman.
post #5360 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

So I guess the cosmetics industry figured that since they've convinced teenage girls around the world that they are better looking with tons of makeup on then without, that its time to do the same to teenage boys:


http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/covergirl-names-teen-james-charles-coverboy-article-1.2827045
This is the tamest edmorel reference that I've ever clicked on
post #5361 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

ps: men, on average, greatly underestimate the amount of makeup they prefer on a woman.

It's kind of funny when guys say that they "prefer a natural looking woman." It almost always translates to "I prefer a heavily made up woman, but it shouldn't be obvious that it's makeup."
post #5362 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

More of an embrace of relatively marginal gay subcultures than anything else, a quick look at more "edgy" fashion publications like Dazed will show you their typical articles are now titled something like "5 gender non-conforming mixed-race trans artists under 5 who create the most exciting multidisciplinary feminist skater-themed art." (cue-in friends of the publications in a rancid display of clannish you hashtag me I hashtag you). We did arrive at a time where there is a little more male grooming than in recent decades but that is about it. Men in skirts and makeup aren't happening more than fetch outside of where they were already happening in the 80s.

#youth #queer #blacklivesmatter #contemporaryart #feminism #skate #pleasebuygucci


ps: men, on average, greatly underestimate the amount of makeup they prefer on a woman.

I take your final point, but I suspect there's a chicken-egg thing, as we we're conditioned to find beauty in women who resemble those who are held up as standards of beauty.
And I'm not sure your first point and ed's are mutually exclusive. LGBT folks and culture are definitely being embraced a bit more in mainstream teen culture, which overall is a good thing. But that doesn't mean corporate Madison Avenue folks aren't seeing that zeitgeist and doing everything they can to hitch as much sellable crap as they can to the bandwagon. Gender non-conforming, and the incorporation of gender fluidity or ambiguity or whatever word you prefer can just as easily take the form of no make-up, shorn heads and baggy clothes. But that's a much harder crowd to sell make-up to.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to guess that Covergirl's motivation has more to do with sales opportunities than any sort of principled "embrace of relatively marginal gay subcultures".
post #5363 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

More of an embrace of relatively marginal gay subcultures than anything else, a quick look at more "edgy" fashion publications like Dazed will show you their typical articles are now titled something like "5 gender non-conforming mixed-race trans artists under 5 who create the most exciting multidisciplinary feminist skater-themed art." (cue-in friends of the publications in a rancid display of clannish you hashtag me I hashtag you). We did arrive at a time where there is a little more male grooming than in recent decades but that is about it. Men in skirts and makeup aren't happening more than fetch outside of where they were already happening in the 80s.

#youth #queer #blacklivesmatter #contemporaryart #feminism #skate #pleasebuygucci


ps: men, on average, greatly underestimate the amount of makeup they prefer on a woman.


I occasionally use some of my wife's stuff like a foundation or eye cream or face mask (I'm actually a beautiful beast) as I find women's cosmetics to be much better then mens . I don't think they are really looking to "normalize" transgender/non-conforming cultures with this, I think they are trying to get people talking, get a bit of controversy stirred up and get younger guys to think more about make-up. I get that a business needs to drum up as much business as possible but I just think that young faces are better off left alone or with as minimal make-up as possible, and when they are bringing in youtube stars to flog their stuff (or Zendaya!), they are obviously going after a young crowd. Its not as bad as Proactiv infomercials and it is great to see someone like him getting paid .
post #5364 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

If items such as soap, razors, etc. are truly fungible why not just buy the cheaper stuff? If there's a material difference then it's not an A to A
Why not just make all personal hygiene products untaxed?

Also, if razors, soaps, etc. are truly fungible why not just buy the cheaper stuff?

 

I think we can agree all taxation is theft and should be stopped.

post #5365 of 5646

notsureifsrs. 

post #5366 of 5646
I have what I think is called "foundation." It comes in a little tube with a brush to dab. Mrs. Piob helped me pick the one for my colouring. I bought it as did you ever notice the night before you have a major public speaking engagement, or are getting videoed for local news or an event, you get a angry, red zit on your nose?
post #5367 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I have what I think is called "foundation." It comes in a little tube with a brush to dab. Mrs. Piob helped me pick the one for my colouring. I bought it as did you ever notice the night before you have a major public speaking engagement, or are getting videoed for local news or an event, you get a angry, red zit on your nose?

You sure it is not bb cream? Lots of people are using that now. (I never wear makeup)
post #5368 of 5646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

You sure it is not bb cream? Lots of people are using that now. (I never wear makeup)

Really not sure what it's called but guess I'll ask tonight. I swear to god though it always seems a zit pops up the night before something like this. Just a little dab, then feather with your fingertip, and you're good to go.
post #5369 of 5646
notsureifwantoknow what "feather with your fingertip" means
post #5370 of 5646
Google it; I dare you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr