or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 328

post #4906 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

And yet you go to them.

This is such a non-response.
post #4907 of 5611
And "most doctors are the fucking worst" is worth responding to? Lulz.
post #4908 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

And "most doctors are the fucking worst" is worth responding to? Lulz.

Quick, make some more appeals to authority! Maybe double down on some unfounded conclusions.
post #4909 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

Quick, make some more appeals to authority! Maybe double down on some unfounded conclusions.

JFC people misuse logical fallacies these days. That was not an appeal to authority fallacy. When a person actually has authority in an area it's not a fucking fallacy. Now, if I said, "Of course this guys knows about cars! I mean, he's a doctor," that would be a fucking appeal fallacy.

WAFM.
Edited by Piobaire - 5/19/16 at 7:29am
post #4910 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

JFC people misuse logical fallacies these days. That was not an appeal to authority fallacy. When a person actually has authority in an area it's not a fucking fallacy. Now, if I said, "Of course this guys knows about cars! I mean, he's a doctor," that would be a fucking appeal fallacy.

WAFM.

LOL you have no idea what you're talking about.
post #4911 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post

LOL you have no idea what you're talking about.

Well, that's a snappy retort after being handed your ass.
post #4912 of 5611
Okay, so...

Saying "Doctors know more about medicine than you do" is not an appeal to authority fallacy. Saying "97% of doctors agree about x, therefore, x is true" would be one.

But recognize the limitations -- it's a logical fallacy. What someone believes, no matter who they are, doesn't prove that it's true. But it sure suggests it sometimes.
post #4913 of 5611
Does quoting a website on logical fallacies constitute an appeal to authority fallacy?
post #4914 of 5611
Logic is the Newtonian mechanics of truth.
post #4915 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Well, that's a snappy retort after being handed your ass.

Dude. you are an idiot.
To recap. You state (roughly) that "we know more than we don't know" about disease.
I point out that is a statement that would be near impossible to quantify.

Problem number one. You don't understand what "quantify" means. If A is what we do know about disease, and B is what we don't know, we can't measure B without more information that we don't have (since we don't know what we don't know). Therefore a claim that A is greater than B is nonsense in this example.You're just throwing out an opinion. Maybe you're right, maybe not, but we have no way of knowing because we can't quantity A and B in a meaningful way.

Maybe in a theoretical future when we have a near total understanding of disease and a rock solid methodology to quantify knowledge we will be able to point to this moment and determine that your opinion is correct, but we are nowhere near that now.

Problem number two. After misunderstanding what "quantify" means you attempt to address the quantification issue by an appeal to your authority saying basically "oh, I'm in a medical field so I'm in a position to know what we do and don't know."

Never mind that does not in anyway address the issue of of quantification that I initially brought up, it is another logical fallacy.

Problem number three. You think that the appeal to authority fallacy is a problem only if you are, in fact, not a member of the relevant authoritative class. This is a misunderstanding of what the appeal to authority fallacy is.

The problem is not whether or not you are a member of a given authoritative class, the problem is that you use as the sum total of your argument your membership in said class.

So no, you did not in fact "hand me my ass." But being Pio, you'll cherry pick half a quote, misapply some logic, and claim victory.
post #4916 of 5611

:rotflmao:

 

Calm down, bro. 

post #4917 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

rotflmao.gif

Calm down, bro. 

Whatever, I'm calm as a cat.
post #4918 of 5611
Dood, that was a classic "Wall of Text" fallacy.
post #4919 of 5611
I don't know what my fiancé really has but she was diagnosed with FM. You know what literally wiped her symptoms out? Powerlifting. My theory is fibro is largely nerve tissue acting abnormal due to lack of regular acute stress, weak ligaments and probably just an unhealthy microbiome.
post #4920 of 5611

Are cats ever really calm? I don't think they are. Tortured creatures such as they are. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr