or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 4

post #46 of 5586
Maybe your experience with women hasn't been... representative.
post #47 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Am I the only one who finds the deluge of female fighters in popular culture distracting? It's like bad CGI -- every time I see a woman beat a man up, goodbye suspension of disbelief. Girls swinging swords is almost harder to believe than the wizards and dragons.
you do realize Arya trains to become an assasin not to fight with a sword and buckler. even avoiding one does not need strength to utilize a stiletto
post #48 of 5586
You do realize she's not the only female fighter in the books? I'm not going to try to list them, but there are a lot. More than ten.
post #49 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

Am I the only one who finds the deluge of female fighters in popular culture distracting? It's like bad CGI -- every time I see a woman beat a man up, goodbye suspension of disbelief. Girls swinging swords is almost harder to believe than the wizards and dragons.

And it isn't just that they're women, it's that they're 115 lbs. women beating up muscular men. It would be like showing a twelve year old boy beating up a college offensive lineman. It's so ludicrous.
post #50 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post


Would hit.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
With a copy of "Weight Loss for Dummies"


LMAO

post #51 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausen View Post


As far as Game of Thrones, this guy is supposed to be one of the best fighters in the kingdom





Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


So yeah, given that I can certainly see someone like this beating his ass

 

 


 

 

goodpoint

A sword(longsword) weighs only about 3lbs you don't need to be super strong to be proficient with it

A woman swordmaster isn't too far fetched since it's more about skill. However 115lbs

woman beating 240lb 6'4 strongman in hand to hand combat is kinda dumb.

post #52 of 5586
She would win if she showed him her tits

(Seewhatididhereinfeminismthreak)
post #53 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

goodpoint
A sword(longsword) weighs only about 3lbs you don't need to be super strong to be proficient with it
A woman swordmaster isn't too far fetched since it's more about skill. However 115lbs
woman beating 240lb 6'4 strongman in hand to hand combat is kinda dumb.

What sword weighs three pounds? A cheap axe weighs five pounds and it has a wood handle.
post #54 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojt View Post

goodpoint
A sword(longsword) weighs only about 3lbs you don't need to be super strong to be proficient with it
A woman swordmaster isn't too far fetched since it's more about skill. However 115lbs
woman beating 240lb 6'4 strongman in hand to hand combat is kinda dumb.

Eh. Longsword style fighting does involve a heavy strength component, since the opponent would usually be wearing armor and carrying a shield. You also need to be pretty strong to carry all the armor and such yourself. If you're fighting an unarmed person, well...you're in good shape then.

Women could be decent at rapier/fencing style fighting. They usually aren't nearly as good as men at the same level for whatever reason, but I don't physically have an explanation for that. I sure wouldn't want to fence Mariel Zagunis, would definitely kick my ass even when I was still decent.
post #55 of 5586
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

Longswords do only weigh about 3 lbs, but don't forget the blade is typically 4 ft long, so it does take a lot of strength to wield one due to the torque.
post #56 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

Longswords do only weigh about 3 lbs, but don't forget the blade is typically 4 ft long, so it does take a lot of strength to wield one due to the torque.

An epee only weighs ~2 lbs and most of that is the guard. It was always funny watching freshmen get too tired to hold onto the blade after a couple hours because they had weak puny hands.
post #57 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

An epee only weighs ~2 lbs and most of that is the guard. It was always funny watching freshmen get too tired to hold onto the blade after a couple hours because they had weak puny hands.

if you are already using epee you should not have weak hand nor wrists since you probably have done at least 1 to 1.5 years of foil first.
post #58 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

An epee only weighs ~2 lbs and most of that is the guard. It was always funny watching freshmen get too tired to hold onto the blade after a couple hours because they had weak puny hands.

That's my point. A rapier type weapon has much less weight, but it still takes strength and endurance to wield it. A longsword is going to much tougher due to the weight being in the blade.
post #59 of 5586
Ofc fencing requires strength, but not heroic strength. Nota bene most powerful blows come from using you're whole body not just the strength of your upperbody. You had to strike with force, since if you don't you would be slow(read dead) otherwise. So I take a woman swordsman could challenge a man and provided she's more skilled probably beat him. But obviously if the skill is the same, even a weak man is usually stronger than a strong woman so he has an edge.
post #60 of 5586
this thread is now about swords
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr