or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 298

post #4456 of 5616
So who/what is Thor now if someone else is "Thor?" confused.gif
post #4457 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post


For some time now Marvel has been more media savvy then DC. Currently they are in try hard mode with their female properties trying to generate as much mainstream news buzz as possible and appeal to the tumblr crowd. It has really worked as sales are still in a decline even as the female Thor is reblogged 10’s of thousands of times by young women. It’s largely pandering and hallow as when it comes to betting real dollars on their female heroes the company can’t even bring themselves to release a Black Widow solo film. Calling them SJW for it seems a bit of a stretch.

Eventually they will return everything to normal and move on to the next stunt that gets them talked about on the Daily Show and maybe even The View. At the end of the day comics are largely still bought and read adult men with the largest part of the female audience collecting artwork they like online and not spending much other than for the occasional cosplay costume.

 

I don't understand this because to your point they have plenty of female characters they could capitalize on.

Also, I'm shocked that comics are mostly consumed by adults.  I knew plenty of people who were big into comics but grew out of them in their late teens/early 20s.

post #4458 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

So who/what is Thor now if someone else is "Thor?" confused.gif

I'm not actually reading this stuff right now, but from what I understand he's off doing his own thing trying to regain his "worthiness" so he can use the hammer again. He did something to be declared not worthy of it anymore.
post #4459 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I'm not actually reading this stuff right now, but from what I understand he's off doing his own thing trying to regain his "worthiness" so he can use the hammer again. He did something to be declared not worthy of it anymore.

Appeared in an MC fit pic with a center vent?
post #4460 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I don't understand this because to your point they have plenty of female characters they could capitalize on.

Changing big name characters into new versions generates buzz. Thus we have a black Captain America, a female Thor and a young black Spider-Man (Peter's still around). They are stunts like the Death of Superman was back in the 90's. No one who read comics really thought Superman would stay dead for long, but it generated mainstream coverage and sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Also, I'm shocked that comics are mostly consumed by adults.  I knew plenty of people who were big into comics but grew out of them in their late teens/early 20s.

Fact is the largest demographic of comic readers these days are people who grew up reading them. Don't get me wrong, there are still children and teen readers but they are no longer the bread and butter for the big publishers. They just are not bringing in new (young) readers like they used to and overall sales have been on the decline for a long time.

If you ask me, when you want to charge $4 for a monthly comic with 20 pages worth of content you can't expect to bring in the children like you used to.
post #4461 of 5616
The new Spider Man actually is half black, half Latino. His name is Miles Morales. Let's grab two groups in one go, shall we?

Ms Marvel is now a Pakistani American teenager

Iceman from the X-Men has come out as gay

Wolverine is now female (Logan replaced by his clone/"daughter" X-23)

There's a Korean American Hulk now - Amadeus Cho

Not sure where you draw the line between embracing and pandering
post #4462 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post


Iceman from the X-Men has come out as gay

I guess gay runs in mutants as the first gay comic book character was Northstar who came out officially in the early 90s.
post #4463 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

The new Spider Man actually is half black, half Latino. His name is Miles Morales. Let's grab two groups in one go, shall we?

Ms Marvel is now a Pakistani American teenager

Iceman from the X-Men has come out as gay

Wolverine is now female (Logan replaced by his clone/"daughter" X-23)

There's a Korean American Hulk now - Amadeus Cho

Not sure where you draw the line between embracing and pandering


Fair points across. Miles is a much loved character who was developed naturally over time in the Ultimates universe. The new Ms Marvel and Hulk are also well liked. I could do without X-23, but while Logan's "dead" she's as good as any replacement. I'm not a fan of the recent decision to have Iceman come out of the closet, to be honest. Seemed like a forced change to a character with a very long history in the universe.

I was speaking mainly to the female Thor and FalCap in regards to being stunts. Pandering is a strong word, but I don't see these changes as having a lasting impact. FalCap felt especially lacking in impact considering it wasn't that many years before that we got an extended, and much loved, run with Bucky having taken over the mantle.
post #4464 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I guess gay runs in mutants as the first gay comic book character was Northstar who came out officially in the early 90s.

Well the X-men comics have never been afraid to touch social issues. It's one of the core themes of Marvel's mutant lines.
post #4465 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post


Not sure where you draw the line between embracing and pandering

Sounds like a perfect straight line for HRoi . . .
post #4466 of 5616
If "pandering" is too strong, then "forcing" might be a better one. I read the Kamala Khan book and it's pretty good. But why not give her her own identity instead of appropriating an existing character? The writing and concept is certainly strong enough for its own franchise. That's what I kind of object to, just like what Mouse said with Foster and Sam Wilson. It's even more annoying with FalCap because Falcon is an existing character that is pretty good in his own right.
post #4467 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Well the X-men comics have never been afraid to touch social issues. It's one of the core themes of Marvel's mutant lines.

Almost like...being a mutant...was like...an allegory or something.
post #4468 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

If "pandering" is too strong, then "forcing" might be a better one. I read the Kamala Khan book and it's pretty good. But why not give her her own identity instead of appropriating an existing character? The writing and concept is certainly strong enough for its own franchise. That's what I kind of object to, just like what Mouse said with Foster and Sam Wilson. It's even more annoying with FalCap because Falcon is an existing character that is pretty good in his own right.

Well I'm ok with them doing it with Ms. Marvel. It's a character with a history of other females taking over the mantle. It's happened before and will likely happen again in the future.

I will say I know there are a lot of upset Nova fans because of him being replaced with a kid, but he was never a character I had much attachment to.
post #4469 of 5616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

For some time now Marvel has been more media savvy then DC. Currently they are in try hard mode with their female properties trying to generate as much mainstream news buzz as possible .

I keep seeing posters for the new versions of their female characters popping-up in people's bedrooms all over TV, most recently Captain Marvel on Modern Family.

Also, just so I can keep up: Which Iceman is gay? Is it the younger, original timeline one from All-New X-Men? I can't even remember....

Comics have always been stunty, though. The new push for inclusion isn't a bad thing, nor has it ever felt over the top, at least as far as I've seen. And you've got to cock an eyebrow at the guys who'd too strenuously object to it. It'd be like the same person being a fan off shitty soap operas for years, enduring all the sudden amnesias and evil twin after evil twin, then standing up and shouting, What, there's a GAY DUDE NAO!!?? SO UNLIKELY!!!!1
post #4470 of 5616
Nova changed too??

Also back to lady Thor - it's somewhat ironic that she's a feminist symbol but is dressed in the typical female hero outfit that people decry as sexist. Not to mention no woman warrior can wear a breastplate like that and not have her entire ribcage and sternum destroyed with the first heavy blunt impact
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr