or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 247

post #3691 of 5611
I am glad my intentionally provocative poast provoked some provocatative poasting. smile.gif
post #3692 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

I don't disagree on a very general level but (and I suspect you get this and are just trying to respond to the question on a broad policy level than a narrow legal), but there's a fundamental difference between crimes that have a serious mens rea (intent, more or less) requirement and those that don't.

I believe DUI is a strict liability offense in most jurisdictions. That is, it doesn't matter what your intentions were or whether you knew what you were doing. If you were so drunk that you thought you were turning on the television when you were actually starting the car, you're still guilty.

I agree that you probably shouldn't have tried to strictly parse the comment (I wasn't offering an example, after all; I was posing a rhetorical question expressly premised on a proposition). But, regardless, I think you're wrong about the DUI example. A strict liability offense is called that because has a relaxed mens rea requirement for one or more of the elements of the offense. DUI has at least two elements -- .08 or above BAC, and operating a motor vehicle. It's pretty much universal that there's strict liability as to the BAC, but I'm not aware of any cases holding the same for the other element. I would expect (setting aside the special issues about voluntarily intoxication) that not knowing you were operating a motor vehicle would be a defense to DUI. Imagine if, unbeknownst to you, your remote really did somehow operate a car. Are you guilty of DUI for watching TV drunk? Would any court let that conviction stand?
Quote:
If you're so drunk that you mistakenly think the person in your bed is actually your inflatable sex doll, you're not guilty of rape (although you're probably violating your university's code of conduct).

This could be a harder question than you seem to present it as. I don't want to try to speak to every court in the land, but many states consider rape to have some degree of strict liability. For example, some states won't allow the defense of apparent or mistaken consent -- as absurd as it sounds, if she says yes but really meant no, you can argue she really meant yes, but you can't argue you're not guilty because you reasonably relied on her saying yes.

Maybe that illustration is incompatible with what I'd implied about courts' reasonableness above...
post #3693 of 5611
12096059_913267608709553_9112232714958777888_n.jpg?oh=711020661abea165bc46723b751bc875&oe=569D9F9B
post #3694 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post

Some of these broads put themselves in some really bad situations. I feel bad for them, but they're fucking stupid.

Don't remember which thread it was (probably this one), but there was a comment about the required level of support to be considered an "ally." For modern (well, Facebook/Tumblr) feminism, that kind of self-evident statement would be considered support of "rape culture" and just shut down the whole conversation. It's a level of utopian demands that just makes the conversation useless. Obviously everybody should have the level of restraint you described, but it's not "rape culture" to ask people to protect themselves. People have to understand that making themselves incredibly vulnerable through foolish behavior is dumb.


My car got broken into because I left it unlocked. The thief is a scumbag, but it's not "burglar culture" to say that I was a dumbass for not locking it.
post #3695 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

This could be a harder question than you seem to present it as. I don't want to try to speak to every court in the land, but many states consider rape to have some degree of strict liability. For example, some states won't allow the defense of apparent or mistaken consent -- as absurd as it sounds, if she says yes but really meant no, you can argue she really meant yes, but you can't argue you're not guilty because you reasonably relied on her saying yes.

Maybe that illustration is incompatible with what I'd implied about courts' reasonableness above...

Haven't there been some cases where men have successfully defended themselves in rape cases because of somnambulism?
post #3696 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Haven't there been some cases where men have successfully defended themselves in rape cases because of somnambulism?

I dunno, but at common law that's a distinct defense. There's mens rea and actus reus, the latter which just requires some voluntary movement. Moving your fingers to control the remote counts as voluntary even if you have no idea it's controlling a car, but sleepwalking doesn't.
post #3697 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

12096059_913267608709553_9112232714958777888_n.jpg?oh=711020661abea165bc46723b751bc875&oe=569D9F9B

Where is a letter from a female RN praising male Nurses?
post #3698 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post

Where is a letter from a female RN praising male Nurses?

Trick question. There's no such thing as a male nurse. They're called doctors.
post #3699 of 5611
Poor Jared needs to have his balls drop. He also needs to read the reams and reams of data that indicate girls, on average, outperform boys in math science by high school graduation. This would indicate if there's any systemic barrier to learning in 2015 that it exists against boys.
post #3700 of 5611
Also, you'd think an obvious SJW like Jared would realize that white privilege means his second-to-last paragraph is bullshit.
post #3701 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Poor Jared needs to have his balls drop. He also needs to read the reams and reams of data that indicate girls, on average, outperform boys in math science by high school graduation. This would indicate if there's any systemic barrier to learning in 2015 that it exists against boys.

I read (in a Freakonomics or similar book) that girls who have a female elementary school teacher who is uncomfortable/bad at math has a lifelong effect on the girl's math scores and probability of going into a STEM field. This effect isn't seen if they have male teachers, and boys are unaffected by either gender.

It was kind of interesting because everyone I know who went into teaching at the elementary level were bad at math or had little interest in it.
post #3702 of 5611
The extremes some poor guys have to go to to try to get a date . . .
post #3703 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I read (in a Freakonomics or similar book) that girls who have a female elementary school teacher who is uncomfortable/bad at math has a lifelong effect on the girl's math scores and probability of going into a STEM field. This effect isn't seen if they have male teachers, and boys are unaffected by either gender.

It was kind of interesting because everyone I know who went into teaching at the elementary level were bad at math or had little interest in it.

See the real insidiousness of the patriarchy? They've programmed women to damage other women!
post #3704 of 5611
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

The extremes some poor guys have to go to to try to get a date . . .

Reminds me of beta dad that embarrassed the hell out of his daughter by writing about how he hopes she has good sex.
post #3705 of 5611
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Reminds me of beta dad that embarrassed the hell out of his daughter by writing about how he hopes she has good sex.


Oh god, I still cringe at that. It was so try-hard pathetic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr