or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 210

post #3136 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post

In any case, I normally don't like Matt Lauer but he's the perfect person to interview this crazy lady. Matt Lauer doesn't give a fuck. 

http://www.thetakeaway.org/story/rachel-dolezal-and-complicated-history-passing/

Her constant smirk = "I know I'm peddling bullshit but you can't make me admit it."

I would love to see a Venn for the two groups:

Usual folks that complain about black cultural appropriation
Support Rachel D.
post #3137 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

And for what it's worth -- as old as I am, Goldwater was before my time as well.

rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

If I had to choose, I know which I'd prefer my kid opt for when she's a few years older.

Honestly I think I'd prefer the habit you could quit and not return to rather than the one that you'll never be able to get rid of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

"If a girl says no, but you pressure her into saying yes, and then you have sex with her, that is RAPE."

Ehhhhh. I'm willing to give them this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston View Post

Transgenderism is psychological disorder. Race is biological.

Won't get into the former but the latter is absolutely wrong. You go to Brazil where part of your race comes from if you were a freed slave or your mom got fucked by the owner and then start from there. There's over 50 races of Brazilians alone, IIRC. And you look at the original census in the U.S. which had two races. Eh, why bother you probably don't care.
post #3138 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I was always taught that chromosomes were the definitive way to define gender. I believe that is what the Olympics use too.
If we're going to be all serious and shit, then it probably makes sense to be more precise in distinguishing between sex and gender. I think gender really refers to the exhibition of characteristics - in both appearance and behavior - that are commonly associated with a particular biological sex. I'm not suggesting the two concepts are unrelated, of course. But sex is clearly a biological concept. Gender perhaps less so, especially given prevailing cultural norms. That's one reason why issues like who should be permitted to use which bathroom are particulary tricky for some folks. While it's becoming more mushy as societal norms change, Olympic competition eligibility, for example, has traditionally been keyed to biological sex, not gender. Carl Lewis presented as a bit more - let's say "metro" than some of his competition. But I don't recall anyone seriously suggesting that he should compete as a woman just because his voice and build differed from that of Ben Johnson or because he didn't have facial hair like Edwin Moses's.
post #3139 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

If we're going to be all serious and shit, then it probably makes sense to be more precise in distinguishing between sex and gender. I think gender really refers to the exhibition of characteristics - in both appearance and behavior - that are commonly associated with a particular biological sex. I'm not suggesting the two concepts are unrelated, of course. But sex is clearly a biological concept. Gender perhaps less so, especially given prevailing cultural norms. That's one reason why issues like who should be permitted to use which bathroom are particulary tricky for some folks. While it's becoming more mushy as societal norms change, Olympic competition eligibility, for example, has traditionally been keyed to biological sex, not gender. Carl Lewis presented as a bit more - let's say "metro" than some of his competition. But I don't recall anyone seriously suggesting that he should compete as a woman just because his voice and build differed from that of Ben Johnson or because he didn't have facial hair like Edwin Moses's.

I have heard this many times, and I wonder whether it is a modern invention. I checked a couple older dictionaries and they all say gender in this context is just another word for sex.
post #3140 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I made some clarity edits, but you quoted me before I could get them entered.

Regardless, I agree with you generally in this conversation; I was trying to elucidate for BC why, in this context, the words aren't viewed as interchangeable.

I'm on the wrong side of history, and it might be too late for me to change.
post #3141 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I have heard this many times, and I wonder whether it is a modern invention. I checked a couple older dictionaries and they all say gender in this context is just another word for sex.

Wikipedia says it was the feminists in the 70s who started pushing the dichotomy.
post #3142 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

"If a girl says no, but you pressure her into saying yes, and then you have sex with her, that is RAPE."

Ehhhhh. I'm willing to give them this one.

 

I was a little late for work this morning and told my gf I didn't have time for morning sex, but she pressured me into it. 

 

I'm wondering if I still have time to go to the police station for a rape kit before lunch. 

post #3143 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

I have heard this many times, and I wonder whether it is a modern invention. I checked a couple older dictionaries and they all say gender in this context is just another word for sex.
It probably is. Not that Justice Scalia and I agree on much, but I know he has a dissent or concurrence out there from some time ago where he chides the majority for referring to "gender discrimination" when (he argues) the real issue is discrimination based on biological sex rather than gender.
post #3144 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariokartfever View Post

I was a little late for work this morning and told my gf I didn't have time for morning sex, but she pressured me into it. 

I'm wondering if I still have time to go to the police station for a rape kit before lunch. 
Uhh you got a learn about what equality means to a lot of women
post #3145 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

It probably is. Not that Justice Scalia and I agree on much, but I know he has a dissent or concurrence out there from some time ago where he chides the majority for referring to "gender discrimination" when (he argues) the real issue is discrimination based on biological sex rather than gender.
Must be a lot of fun to interpret laws written in words that mean one thing when written yet quite another years later especially when the current definition is based on some sort of vague, socially agreed upon, mode of usage . Kinda like what's been going here
post #3146 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by englade321 View Post

Must be a lot of fun to interpret laws written in words that mean one thing when written yet quite another years later especially when the current definition is based on some sort of vague, socially agreed upon, mode of usage . Kinda like what's been going here
True. If I recall correctly, Scalia was more being pedantic about the Court's semantics (perhaps out of concern about how the language might later be cited) than arguing that the distinction should be determinative of the case at hand.
Here's a quote from what may be the case I'm recalling (I have not gone back and re-read the case).

The terms sex and gender have not always been differentiated in the English language, and it was not until the 1950s that they formally began to be distinguished. In an effort to clarify usage of the terms sex and gender, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia wrote in a 1994 briefing, "The word gender has acquired the new and useful connotation of cultural or attitudinal characteristics (as opposed to physical characteristics) distinctive to the sexes. That is to say, gender is to sex as feminine is to female and masculine is to male" (J.E.B. v. Alabama, 144 S. Ct. 1436 [1994])

Source: Boundless. “Defining Sex, Gender, and Sexuality.” Boundless Psychology. Boundless, 10 Jun. 2015. Retrieved 16 Jun. 2015 from https://www.boundless.com/psychology/textbooks/boundless-psychology-textbook/gender-and-sexuality-15/introduction-to-gender-and-sexuality-75/defining-sex-gender-and-sexuality-294-12829/
post #3147 of 5586
This is pretend world, where mentally ill people are being coddled and normalized. They need help, not encouragement.
post #3148 of 5586
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanm View Post


Oh, so you're a doctor now?


Yes.
post #3149 of 5586
He's always been a doctor. Of laws.
post #3150 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

He's always been a doctor. Of laws.


Actually, dummy, he's a doctor of juris. I don't know what a juri is though. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr