or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need feminism because tumblr - Page 185

post #2761 of 5586
C'mon, H, you know that's not what most people mean/hear when "he said/she said" is used.

The point is that it comes down to two people's differing stories about an event where there's no objective evidence that proves either side. It may not be a literal he/she said in the context of the judicial system, but it's still an accurate description in spirit (so to speak).

I do agree that the "reeducation" statement was a little much, and that it's weird that colleges feel entitled to hold extrajudicial proceedings on criminal matters.
post #2762 of 5586
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

C'mon, H, you know that's not what most people mean/hear when "he said/she said" is used.

The point is that it comes down to two people's differing stories about an event where there's no objective evidence that proves either side. It may not be a literal he/she said in the context of the judicial system, but it's still an accurate description in spirit (so to speak).

I know it's not what most people think of, but it should be. I hate those little sayings and bullshit things people with no idea what they're talking about throw out as if they mean something. "Possession is 9/10s of the law!" "Ignorance of the law is no excuse!" "Conne told me she was 18!" Etc.
post #2763 of 5586
Read the article. Seems like a pretty self-aware person and clearly sees the complexity of the situation.
post #2764 of 5586
...
post #2765 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post


A criminal justice system already exists. If you were raped, call the fucking cops. Otherwise just shut the fuck up you whiny cunt.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post


Agreed, 100%. That's why I don't get why people ever call the police, I guess except in cases where insurance requires a report for theft or damage. There's no situation so fucked that can't be made worse by the presence of the police.
post #2766 of 5586
Thread Starter 
I ain't never been raped and ain't never called the cops.
post #2767 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

I simply do not get this stupid obsession with having Colleges adjudicate sexual assault allegations. It's ridiculous, who wants to pay tuition to a board of assholes to determine whether you have to undergo forced reeducation?

This is bigger than just sexual assault cases too. Students want the colleges to provide everything for those four years, and it introduces all kinds of conflicts of interest.

My alma mater is having a whole imbroglio over mental health services, basically that depressed/suicidal students are claiming the school pressured them to withdraw so that they wouldn't kill themselves on campus. True or not (and suicidal college students may not exactly be processing advice accurately), it's quite hard to expect totally unbiased support from the school when it may go against the school's interests.


Along the same line, I'm told to never go to your frat for legal advice. Their loyalty is to the frat, not to you. If selling you up the river is the best choice for the frat, by God that's what they'll do, "brotherhood" notwithstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG 
and that it's weird that colleges feel entitled to hold extrajudicial proceedings on criminal matters.
A remnant of in loco parentis, maybe?

These days, it seems like students expect a parallel process from the college. Maybe they expect that it will be more tuned to their needs (kinder and fuzzier) than the normal process?
post #2768 of 5586
I think part of this is "Campus as City." Basically they're trying to create a little city, insular and controlled, properly programmed and following the administration's dogma. That goes for the main stream left wing places and the counter-culture right wing religious places.
post #2769 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think part of this is "Campus as City." Basically they're trying to create a little city, insular and controlled, properly programmed and following the administration's dogma. That goes for the main stream left wing places and the counter-culture right wing religious places.


REO Speedwagon.
post #2770 of 5586
Thread Starter 
It's all gonna be internet college in a decade anyway, no need to fret. One of the next big bubbles to burst will be physical higher education. It's simply so inefficient.
post #2771 of 5586
Internet college??! What happened to the Matrix style direct memory downloads?? I feel robbed
post #2772 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I think part of this is "Campus as City." Basically they're trying to create a little city, insular and controlled, properly programmed and following the administration's dogma. That goes for the main stream left wing places and the counter-culture right wing religious places.

post #2773 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold falcon View Post

It's all gonna be internet college in a decade anyway, no need to fret. One of the next big bubbles to burst will be physical higher education. It's simply so inefficient.


I doubt it, man. Maybe for most gen ed and low level classes but I feel like professors of higher level courses want to be seen and heard. 

post #2774 of 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Internet college??! What happened to the Matrix style direct memory downloads?? I feel robbed

Fuck that. I'm going to risk waking up every morning to to one of those auto-play Dos Equis or Axe Body wash ads in my head?
post #2775 of 5586
"I don't always appear as a voice in your head. But when I do, I tell you to strangle your roommate"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › I need feminism because tumblr