or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I tried cleaning my shoes and this is what happened
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I tried cleaning my shoes and this is what happened

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hello. I have a pair of CAT steel tipped shoes that I tried cleaning with a CAT cleaner and conditioner by applying a small amount onto a brush and then brushing the shoe. After cleaning the first pair it got dark, so I let dry out but nothing happened. Are my shoes ruined? Is there any hope to repair them cause they're my favorite pair.


 

The shoes are nubuck or suede. (i cant tell the difference)

post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastivv View Post

Hello. I have a pair of CAT steel tipped shoes that I tried cleaning with a CAT cleaner and conditioner by applying a small amount onto a brush and then brushing the shoe. After cleaning the first pair it got dark, so I let dry out but nothing happened. Are my shoes ruined? Is there any hope to repair them cause they're my favorite pair.




The shoes are nubuck or suede. (i cant tell the difference)

You don't want to use conditioner on suede. I would use a suede brush (or a tooth brush if you don't have one), some suede cleaner (or mild soap), and water. Brush out the conditioner. Hopefully it will come out.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post


You don't want to use conditioner on suede. I would use a suede brush (or a tooth brush if you don't have one), some suede cleaner (or mild soap), and water. Brush out the conditioner. Hopefully it will come out.

So there's still hope? It isn't ruined?

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastivv View Post

So there's still hope? It isn't ruined?

Can't hurt to try, right?

post #5 of 8
Welcome to Styleforum Rastivv.
I know what I would do in that situation. It may or may not be the right thing to do so at your own risk and peril. I would follow jerrybrowne's approach only I would:
dunk both shoes into some cool water with a tablespoon of liquid detergent
let them sit for an hour
then, under the water, use the toothbrush just like Jerry said, gently working out the lotion out of the nap of the nubuck.
Also, use the toothbrush wherever the nap had flattened. Check the lace eyelet areas, tongue & heel area.
If you have removeable inserts, remove them but also wash them in the drink with the shoes.
Remode the laces.
After a soaking and tooth brushing, drain water, refill and work the detergent out of them.
Drain water.
Let shoes rest in sink upside down at the heels to drain as much water out of them as possible (1/2 hour).
Then place them outside for 3 days to dry out.
If it takes 4 days, then so be it.
Use a Nubuck brush very gently on them to 'lift' the nap back up when they are half-dry...after day 1 outside.
Coax the nap back up but do not overwork the nap. Nubuck is not as tough as suede proper. Be gentle. Be patient.
When completely dry, insert properly sized shoe trees into them (medium packed newspaper will do if no trees are available)
The trees will re-shape the shoe.
Spray suede protector from a distance of 1 foot away. Short controlled vursts of the protector along the length and tops of the shoes.
Let dit 10 min.
Use the Nubuck brush on them again, gently.
Re-insert the cleaned laces. If the laced are frayed, replace them or use a cigarette lighter to burn the frizzies off the laces.
If you use the lighter trick, be quick as you go. You'll be amazed hot lightning fast those frays burn off almost instantaneously.
They should be ready to wear again. They may feel stiff for a wearing or two but will relax soon enough.
If all of this doesn't work, then BEFORE you have applied the suede protector spray,
you'll have to decide of you can live with the result, or opt to spray dye them to perhaps a deeper colour to give them a fresh look.
I take no responsibility for your results but I have done the above procedure before and all worked out well.
Good luck and give us updates!

Browse these threads as well before engaging in any restoration...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/220775/restoring-faded-suede-shoes
http://www.styleforum.net/t/355338/suede-restoration-sanding-suede
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks Man of Lint. I'll try your method and hopefully it works. I'll be sure to post my results here.

"fingers crossed"

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post

Welcome to Styleforum Rastivv.
I know what I would do in that situation. It may or may not be the right thing to do so at your own risk and peril. I would follow jerrybrowne's approach only I would:
dunk both shoes into some cool water with a tablespoon of liquid detergent
let them sit for an hour
then, under the water, use the toothbrush just like Jerry said, gently working out the lotion out of the nap of the nubuck.
Also, use the toothbrush wherever the nap had flattened. Check the lace eyelet areas, tongue & heel area.
If you have removeable inserts, remove them but also wash them in the drink with the shoes.
Remode the laces.
After a soaking and tooth brushing, drain water, refill and work the detergent out of them.
Drain water.
Let shoes rest in sink upside down at the heels to drain as much water out of them as possible (1/2 hour).
Then place them outside for 3 days to dry out.
If it takes 4 days, then so be it.
Use a Nubuck brush very gently on them to 'lift' the nap back up when they are half-dry...after day 1 outside.
Coax the nap back up but do not overwork the nap. Nubuck is not as tough as suede proper. Be gentle. Be patient.
When completely dry, insert properly sized shoe trees into them (medium packed newspaper will do if no trees are available)
The trees will re-shape the shoe.
Spray suede protector from a distance of 1 foot away. Short controlled vursts of the protector along the length and tops of the shoes.
Let dit 10 min.
Use the Nubuck brush on them again, gently.
Re-insert the cleaned laces. If the laced are frayed, replace them or use a cigarette lighter to burn the frizzies off the laces.
If you use the lighter trick, be quick as you go. You'll be amazed hot lightning fast those frays burn off almost instantaneously.
They should be ready to wear again. They may feel stiff for a wearing or two but will relax soon enough.
If all of this doesn't work, then BEFORE you have applied the suede protector spray,
you'll have to decide of you can live with the result, or opt to spray dye them to perhaps a deeper colour to give them a fresh look.
I take no responsibility for your results but I have done the above procedure before and all worked out well.
Good luck and give us updates!

Browse these threads as well before engaging in any restoration...
http://www.styleforum.net/t/220775/restoring-faded-suede-shoes
http://www.styleforum.net/t/355338/suede-restoration-sanding-suede

 

Thanks Man of Lint. I'll try your method and hopefully it works. I'll be sure to post my results here.

"fingers crossed"

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
 

 


Edited by Rastivv - 8/4/13 at 8:28pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I tried cleaning my shoes and this is what happened