or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much waist suppression do you prefer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

Poll Results: How much waist suppression do you prefer?

 
  • 3% (3)
    No waist suppression; sack coat
  • 1% (1)
    Slight hint of waist suppression
  • 24% (21)
    Light waist suppression
  • 48% (42)
    Moderate waist suppression
  • 22% (19)
    Significant waist suppression
86 Total Votes  
post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

 

A.  No waist suppression; straight-hanging, as in a traditional, undarted sack suit.

 

 

B.  Just a slight hint of waist suppression.

 

 

C.  Light waist suppression (Paul Stuart's "Stuart" model):

 

 

D.  Moderate waist suppression (Paul Stuart's "Paul" model):

 

 

 

E.  Significant waist suppression (Tom Ford; Viscount Thurso in Aquascutum, from 1985):

 

 

 

 

Image sources, with larger pictures: A,  http://www.styleforum.net/t/74417/sartorial-color-photos-from-1940-a-look-back#post_1232270

B.  http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/04/APTOPIX_THE_PRESIDENTS_CLUB_4065201.jpg

C.  http://www.paulstuart.com/product_info.cfm?ProdID=4664&ProdCatId=1007&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0

D.  http://www.paulstuart.com/images/items/md/7071234.jpg

E.  http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/tom_ford_2007_03_26.jpg

E.  http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/NPK001387/viscount-thurso-with-dog

post #2 of 30
IME, the amount seems to be governed by the wearer's physique more so than by their stylistic preference (taste). In my case, I'm probably in the light category, but would love to be in the moderate category. Unfortunately, my taste for Oreo cookies makes my physique unable to achieve that moderate category.
post #3 of 30
Judging from your pics, it looks like D has just as much waist suppression as E.
post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 

If one tries both on, the Tom Ford is definitely more suppressed than PS's Paul model.  The TF is a drop 7 or 8, depending on whether it's a base A or B, versus a drop 6 for the Paul.  For some reason, though, it's difficult to find photos online of normal people wearing the Paul.  Most are wearing the older Stuart or Edward model.  The catalog photos make the Paul look as suppressed as the TF, since the PS suit is shot from a greater distance away, and it's in a lighter color, which shows its lines better.  You make a good point that the "significant suppression" category could use a clearer picture:

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75


Edited by CrimsonSox - 7/28/13 at 8:10am
post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboys View Post

IME, the amount seems to be governed by the wearer's physique more so than by their stylistic preference (taste). In my case, I'm probably in the light category, but would love to be in the moderate category. Unfortunately, my taste for Oreo cookies makes my physique unable to achieve that moderate category.

 

That's true -- one's physique does limit one's choices.  At the same time, it's interesting that some people who can pull off a tighter waist choose to have less suppression.  For instance, the sack coat was popular for many years, and today some men with a higher drop choose the less suppressed suit, since it's seen as more conservative.

post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboys View Post

IME, the amount seems to be governed by the wearer's physique more so than by their stylistic preference (taste). In my case, I'm probably in the light category, but would love to be in the moderate category. Unfortunately, my taste for Oreo cookies makes my physique unable to achieve that moderate category.

+1 to this. I'm in the moderate/significant category. Tom's "significant suppression" picture is really just tight across the button.

post #7 of 30

I want C, but my tailor always gives me D. My alterations tailor knows what I like though (after they made several OTR jackets into D)

post #8 of 30
I prefer C (light waist suppression). I get my jackets with very lightly padded shoulders and think that a light amount of waist suppression gives enough shape and goes well with the less structured look. Plus I have wide hips so too much waist suppression will make the vents flare out.
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I prefer C (light waist suppression). I get my jackets with very lightly padded shoulders and think that a light amount of waist suppression gives enough shape and goes well with the less structured look. Plus I have wide hips so too much waist suppression will make the vents flare out.
+1

Exact sentiment.
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I prefer C (light waist suppression). I get my jackets with very lightly padded shoulders and think that a light amount of waist suppression gives enough shape and goes well with the less structured look. Plus I have wide hips so too much waist suppression will make the vents flare out.

 

Another +1 for this. I always seem to look better with light padding in the shoulders and just a little waist suppression. I have a gigantor ass that just looks weird if the waist is too narrow on my jackets.

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

 

I have a gigantor ass that just looks weird if the waist is too narrow on my jackets.

 

+1

post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 

Most of my suits are a C, light suppression, but I could fit a D or E (moderate or significant).  I was thinking of having the suits taken in, though not to the Tom Ford degree.  My major concern is whether the additional waist suppression will seem less professional or serious?  Interestingly, both Presidents George W. Bush and Obama are quite fit, but they wear suits with barely any suppression. 

post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSox View Post

Most of my suits are a C, light suppression, but I could fit a D or E (moderate or significant).  I was thinking of having the suits taken in, though not to the Tom Ford degree.  My major concern is whether the additional waist suppression will seem less professional or serious?  Interestingly, both Presidents George W. Bush and Obama are quite fit, but they wear suits with barely any suppression. 

 

do not use politicians as style inspiration...unless, of course, you are an aspiring politician.

post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 

Most politicians do dress badly, and their suits tend to fit like a box.  But do you think that "D" would be too much for the office?

post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSox View Post

Most politicians do dress badly, and their suits tend to fit like a box.  But do you think that "D" would be too much for the office?

...for the Oval Office? Yes....for your business office? No...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › How much waist suppression do you prefer?