or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hall of Shame - eBay Listing Bloopers, What NOT to do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hall of Shame - eBay Listing Bloopers, What NOT to do

post #1 of 327
Thread Starter 

You've all seen the eBay Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions thread where we help each other out on what to do in certain situations, or offer advice on listing layouts or photo/lighting set ups. On the other end of the spectrum, you can see what not to do in an eBay listing. 

 

As Eleanor Roosevelt said...

 

 “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.”

 

Post your eBay blooper discoveries here. Your post could include listings with poor photos, terrible spelling or just plain bad all around. Who knows, someone may learn something from your post, but we should all get a little chuckle from time to time.

 

 It's probably be best to do screen shots since the listings will be dead after a few months.

 

I nearly forgot.....the typical commentary is more than welcome here.


Edited by capnwes - 7/24/13 at 5:09am
post #2 of 327
Thread Starter 

I'll start it off. Creating a "pair" of shoes from two brands is probably not a good idea. Unless of course you are throwing in a free glasses case.lol8[1].gif

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221258488024?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

 

 

If you wear the glasses case like this, you can hardly tell the difference in the shoes.fing02[1].gif

 

 

 

From the listing description....

 

 

You're bidding on a pair of"brooks brothers/johnston & Murphy" shoes size 9, great conditions high class,
classic,they look all most identically the same ....but are different brandsleft shoe is "Johnston & Murphy,
right shoe is "brooks brothers"upper tongue on one is semi flat the other is oval, 1 heel is slanted
the other square, the color is identical, they come with a authentic "brooks brother" glasses case,
these brands of shoe's are 100% authentic and very pricey if bought new,"
(they DO NOT come with the shoe shaper)" as seen on pictures, but are for bidding on different category,
any question feel free to ask, happy bidding, thank you.

Edited by capnwes - 7/24/13 at 5:22am
post #3 of 327
Unbelievable.
post #4 of 327
I can't find it now, but about a year ago, there was what I believe was an AE Clifton with a leather velcro strap sewn onto the upper. It was billed as an AE monkstrap.
post #5 of 327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I can't find it now, but about a year ago, there was what I believe was an AE Clifton with a leather velcro strap sewn onto the upper. It was billed as an AE monkstrap.

LOL, would have loved to see that one. 

post #6 of 327

I found a few of the posts from the AE thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/14175#post_6029384

Corresponding Ebay link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-Mens-9-B-D-ALDEN-471-Customized-Velcro-Strap-Moc-Toe-Blucher-Oxfords-/281036568633?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item416f15b839&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1288

 

And a pic:

 

From the description:

"Awesome pair of custom made ALDEN 471 oxfords with a wide velcro strap closure.  Check out the pictures, they always tell the story a thousand times better than I ever could.  I try to take lots of pictures from different angles so look closely.  These are the exact shoes you will be receiving, so don't pass these up, I may never get them again."

post #7 of 327

Here is the post about the AE shoe from the AE thread. It looks like the ebay listing is gone though.

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/6525#post_5541004

post #8 of 327

I ran across a couple of ads just selling one shoe...New with Defects. Needless to say, I wouldn't want this even if it were a pair. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUART-MCGUIRE-Not-a-Pair-Single-Mens-Right-Dress-Shoe-Black-Size-6-EE-/281126617551?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item417473c1cf

post #9 of 327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I found a few of the posts from the AE thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/14175#post_6029384

Corresponding Ebay link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMAZING-Mens-9-B-D-ALDEN-471-Customized-Velcro-Strap-Moc-Toe-Blucher-Oxfords-/281036568633?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item416f15b839&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1288

 

And a pic:

 

From the description:

"Awesome pair of custom made ALDEN 471 oxfords with a wide velcro strap closure.  Check out the pictures, they always tell the story a thousand times better than I ever could.  I try to take lots of pictures from different angles so look closely.  These are the exact shoes you will be receiving, so don't pass these up, I may never get them again."

 

I have bought several shoes form that seller actually. Never saw those....baldy[1].gif.

 

Those poor Aldens.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop View Post

I ran across a couple of ads just selling one shoe...New with Defects. Needless to say, I wouldn't want this even if it were a pair. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUART-MCGUIRE-Not-a-Pair-Single-Mens-Right-Dress-Shoe-Black-Size-6-EE-/281126617551?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item417473c1cf

I see a lot of these types of listings. Typically they classify them as "Amputee" shoes. Not a bad idea actually. Still, funny to call it NWD.

post #10 of 327
I could see a homeless man buying these shoes, but not paying what they are asking for. More like $.35 for the mismatched pair.

Again, only if you were homeless.

The selling of just one shoe by itself I could see as economical and valuable for people with only one leg.
post #11 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

 

 

I see a lot of these types of listings. Typically they classify them as "Amputee" shoes. Not a bad idea actually. Still, funny to call it NWD.

 

I never thought about the amputee angle, I guess that makes sense. Or they could be trying to reach the market who has lost one shoe on the highway.

post #12 of 327

So...Exactly what brand are these shoes?

 

It would appear that this eBayer can't decide whether it's Gordon Scott, Church's, John Lobb, Gieves & Hawkes, Prada, Hermes or Edward Green...

post #13 of 327
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijuana View Post

So...Exactly what brand are these shoes?

 

It would appear that this eBayer can't decide whether it's Gordon Scott, Church's, John Lobb, Gieves & Hawkes, Prada, Hermes or Edward Green...

That seller gets on my nerves. Even their username is misspelled. 

post #14 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijuana View Post

So...Exactly what brand are these shoes?

 

It would appear that this eBayer can't decide whether it's Gordon Scott, Church's, John Lobb, Gieves & Hawkes, Prada, Hermes or Edward Green...

 

They're engaging in keyword spamming - see it all the time and it irks me as well...against eBay policy but it happens so much I doubt any action is ever taken.

post #15 of 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

That seller gets on my nerves. Even their username is misspelled. 

Beat me to it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Hall of Shame - eBay Listing Bloopers, What NOT to do