or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread - Page 52

post #766 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

13

 

14

 

Soon, the list has been created, but not yet released. Sometime tonight hopefully.

+1 = 15 (I have my entire inventory with listing so am breaking my imposed thrifting ban)

post #767 of 903

You are thrifting for charity


Prize: I will donate $100 to your favorite charity ( with previously stated exceptions). In an attempt to increase participation, for every actual entry received in this round I will add $5 more to the donation amount, so don't feel like 5 or 6 items is too small to share. Your participation can make a difference!





This is a scavenger hunt that anyone can participate in. You do not need to sign up but you need to report results to win. Check the quick rules below and go out a huntin'.

1. All the items below must be found in thrift shops. That means thrift, charity, church and other places. Consignment stores do not count, nor does full price retail environments.

2. You do not need to purchase the item in question, you must only take a picture of it and upload it here when complete (please see below for clarification on when to upload)

3. You must print the picture above and include it with your photo of the item. They must not be photoshopped and be in the same shot. For fun, please include the price tag if possible.

4. Do NOT upload photos one by one if you check a few things off the list. You must only upload everything in one shot when you complete all the items on the list. Occasional teasers are permitted.

5. You have until October 27th 2013, MIDNIGHT EST to find and post all the items on the list.


6.Each item is worth 1 point and each bonus point is worth 1. Whoever has the most points (get those bonus points!!), even if they don't have all the items will be the winner.

7. The competition is ruthless, very competitive, and pedantic. Make sure match the item or check with the ref if any doubts (me).

 

THE LIST worth up to 40 points

 

1. Loro Piana Fabric Tag, +1 for real Loro Piana label.

2. One piece of Delftware, +1 if marked Delfts Blauw

3. A mens shoe with a metal V cleat.

4. A reindeer coffee mug

5. Mickey/Minnie Mouse Watch

6. Exotic Leather belt, proof marks or verified by Spoo.

7. Titleist or Acushnet Bull's Eye Putter, any model.  +1 for Scotty Cameron...and trust me, you had better buy it.

8. A leather wallet - man's.

9. A selfie with a halloween mask on.

10. Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Label

11. Capn's Choice.....A Blue Birdseye Suit 

12. The loudest plaid sport coat you can find. Loudest one gets +1 bonus point.

13. A snowflake sweater, +1 for Dale of Norway

14. A walkman style tape player, +1 for a talkboy (think Home Alone)

15. Gold rimmed glassware

16. A duffel coat

17. A piece of HBT, Mitchell, Tiger Stripe, or ERDL camo from Nataku's camo guide....Nataku Verified if necessary. 

Nat's Camo Guide (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.







 

18. A pic with at least 5 London Fog trench/top coats in one shot. Highest number +1 bonus.

19. A green Aladdin Stanley thermos, classic working man's style.

20. A pair of Chelsea boots, +1 for suede

21. A six or seven fold tie

22. A leather briefcase, +1 for frame top

23. A pic of each of the following union tags, not necessarily from the same store, must have all three for the point.

              1949-1962 ACWA tag

              1962-1976 ACWA tag RED

              1962-1976 ACWA tag BLACK

              +1 Bonus point for any ACWA tag dating from 1934 to 1949, after the other 3 have been found.

ACWA Union Tag Resource (Click to show)

 

 

24. A Schott Perfecto style leather jacket, +1 for an actual Schott Perfecto.

25. A pair of shorts or pants with the word "Juicy", "Pink" or similar across the backside. +1 if they are being worn by another customer 

+1 BONUS POINT IF YOU TRY THEM ON AND TAKE A SELFIE.

 

+3 extra bonus points for an ever-elusive Straight Razor

 

 

 

Happy Hunting!


Edited by capnwes - 10/8/13 at 6:15am
post #768 of 903
I have to google a lot of stuff. Darn
post #769 of 903

This might help with some of the other stuff....

 

Delftware, Made in Holland, usually has windmills in the scenes.

 

 

 

Most common bull's eye putter. I see one at every third store I go in.

 

 

Schott Perfecto

 

Aladdin Stanley Thermos

Copyright 2010 Backcountry.com

 

Juicy Pants

post #770 of 903
How many points if the juicy pants are being worn by a male shopper?
post #771 of 903
Not worth getting arrested while trying to photo the shopper. Playful but I think a modification to the list required, IMHO
post #772 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

Not worth getting arrested while trying to photo the shopper. Playful but I think a modification to the list required, IMHO

 

Was just for fun....

 

But, list modified....remember, you asked for it. lol. :devil:

post #773 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

 

Was just for fun....

 

But, list modified....remember, you asked for it. lol. :devil:

Excellent edit.

post #774 of 903
That's one point I will never get, period.
post #775 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by catside View Post

That's one point I will never get, period.

 

LOL, could mean the difference between winning and losing this round.

post #776 of 903
All right, I've actually got the sign and the list printed and put in my wallet this time. I am in.
post #777 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post

All right, I've actually got the sign and the list printed and put in my wallet this time. I am in.

 

16

post #778 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post
 

You are thrifting for charity


Prize: I will donate $100 to your favorite charity ( with previously stated exceptions). In an attempt to increase participation, for every actual entry received in this round I will add $5 more to the donation amount, so don't feel like 5 or 6 items is too small to share. Your participation can make a difference!





This is a scavenger hunt that anyone can participate in. You do not need to sign up but you need to report results to win. Check the quick rules below and go out a huntin'.

1. All the items below must be found in thrift shops. That means thrift, charity, church and other places. Consignment stores do not count, nor does full price retail environments.

2. You do not need to purchase the item in question, you must only take a picture of it and upload it here when complete (please see below for clarification on when to upload)

3. You must print the picture above and include it with your photo of the item. They must not be photoshopped and be in the same shot. For fun, please include the price tag if possible.

4. Do NOT upload photos one by one if you check a few things off the list. You must only upload everything in one shot when you complete all the items on the list. Occasional teasers are permitted.

5. You have until October 27th 2013, MIDNIGHT EST to find and post all the items on the list.


6.Each item is worth 1 point and each bonus point is worth 1. Whoever has the most points (get those bonus points!!), even if they don't have all the items will be the winner.

7. The competition is ruthless, very competitive, and pedantic. Make sure match the item or check with the ref if any doubts (me).

 

THE LIST worth up to 40 points

 

1. Loro Piana Fabric Tag, +1 for real Loro Piana label.

2. One piece of Delftware, +1 if marked Delfts Blauw

3. A mens shoe with a metal V cleat.

4. A reindeer coffee mug

5. Mickey/Minnie Mouse Watch

6. Exotic Leather belt, proof marks or verified by Spoo.

7. Titleist or Acushnet Bull's Eye Putter, any model.  +1 for Scotty Cameron...and trust me, you had better buy it.

8. A leather wallet - man's.

9. A selfie with a halloween mask on.

10. Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Label

11. Capn's Choice.....A Blue Birdseye Suit 

12. The loudest plaid sport coat you can find. Loudest one gets +1 bonus point.

13. A snowflake sweater, +1 for Dale of Norway

14. A walkman style tape player, +1 for a talkboy (think Home Alone)

15. Gold rimmed glassware

16. A duffel coat

17. A piece of HBT, Mitchell, Tiger Stripe, or ERDL camo from Nataku's camo guide....Nataku Verified if necessary. 

Nat's Camo Guide (Click to show)
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable.

HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well.

I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. ffffuuuu.gifbaldy[1].gif



Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.



Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.



The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)





And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):



A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium).

ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.



This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.



A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.







 

18. A pic with at least 5 London Fog trench/top coats in one shot. Highest number +1 bonus.

19. A green Aladdin Stanley thermos, classic working man's style.

20. A pair of Chelsea boots, +1 for suede

21. A six or seven fold tie

22. A leather briefcase, +1 for frame top

23. A pic of each of the following union tags, not necessarily from the same store, must have all three for the point.

              1949-1962 ACWA tag

              1962-1976 ACWA tag RED

              1962-1976 ACWA tag BLACK

              +1 Bonus point for any ACWA tag dating from 1934 to 1949, after the other 3 have been found.

ACWA Union Tag Resource (Click to show)

 

 

24. A Schott Perfecto style leather jacket, +1 for an actual Schott Perfecto.

25. A pair of shorts or pants with the word "Juicy", "Pink" or similar across the backside. +1 if they are being worn by another customer 

+1 BONUS POINT IF YOU TRY THEM ON AND TAKE A SELFIE.

 

+3 extra bonus points for an ever-elusive Straight Razor

 

 

 

Happy Hunting!

 

Man, these lists have gotten interesting... +2 for Dale sweater.

post #779 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnwes View Post

This might help with some of the other stuff....




This helps with anything.

Two please, waiter; to go.
post #780 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter7 View Post
 

 

Man, these lists have gotten interesting... +2 for Dale sweater.

 

You in on this one DM7?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official 2013 Thrifters Scavenger Hunt Thread