or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Point and Shoot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Point and Shoot

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

Looking for a bit of advice. In about a month, I'll probably purchase a camera. All I have now is my girlfriends pink point and shoot from maybe late 2000's and my tablet/phone camera. 

 

Price range is sub-$300 preferably. What's the best I can get within that range? What options should I answer so you know what I want? Just looking for the basic, take pictures of family, clothing, etc.

 

Thanks guys.

post #2 of 34
Thread Starter 

Nikon COOLPIX P510 ?

post #3 of 34
a little out of your price range but i would seriously consider getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LX7K-Digital-Intelligent-3-0-inch/dp/B008MB719C

youd be hard pressed to find a better camera at any price range. for what you describe its perfect.
post #4 of 34
as for cheaper ones I have a Sony Cybershot and its pretty good...all the sub $200 ones are about the same quality (cybershot, cool pix et al) hard to find a really bad camera these days.
post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by underwearer View Post

a little out of your price range but i would seriously consider getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-LX7K-Digital-Intelligent-3-0-inch/dp/B008MB719C

youd be hard pressed to find a better camera at any price range. for what you describe its perfect.

That's really better than the Coolpix? 

 

I know nothing about cameras. The last one I had was in 2009 and I dropped it in Europe, so haven't had one since - been punishing myself.

post #6 of 34

You can get some decent used DSLR's for a bit above 300. Think of it as getting a used Kiton suit in excellent condition instead of a new suit from Calvin Klein.

 

and that's giving PaS's too much credit (I could've gone with Men's Wearhouse)

post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

That's really better than the Coolpix? 


dude that blows a coolpix away. Its a MILC camera. its like a cross between a point and shoot and a SLR, it does both but is almost as small mas a PAS.

the most important thing with any camera is the lens. and this has one of the best.

plus its made by or for leica and has that great classic leica styleing. that is to say: it looks cool.
post #8 of 34
I've seen the S100 (or whatever follows the S90-S95) come below 300 on sale...maybe its the S105 now.

Really a great line of P&S cameras.

Just looked it up, looks like amazon has the S100 for 300 and the S110 (no such thing as an s105) for 350. My S95 is great, and my dad--who is a professional photographer--doesn't carry anything besides his S90 or my mom's S95 when he travels. I paid $230 on a crazy sale, but I think I saw an S100 for maybe 250-275 on slickdeals recently.

I'm happy with my camera so I haven't been following them much lately...I think I might have read something about people actually preferring the S100 to the S110 (or maybe it was the S95 to the S100, but the S110 is better than both). Either way, I love the little things (which really are little enough to go in a pocket, but take better photos than most much larger cameras)
post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

You can get some decent used DSLR's for a bit above 300. Think of it as getting a used Kiton suit in excellent condition instead of a new suit from Calvin Klein.

 

and that's giving PaS's too much credit (I could've gone with Men's Wearhouse)

I wouldn't know the first thing about SLR. I really have no business owning one. I would love it but then follows the advanced things I have no business being around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwearer View Post


dude that blows a coolpix away. Its a MILC camera. its like a cross between a point and shoot and a SLR, it does both but is almost as small mas a PAS.

the most important thing with any camera is the lens. and this has one of the best.

plus its made by or for leica and has that great classic leica styleing. that is to say: it looks cool.

That's pretty awesome. I'll have to look at it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I've seen the S100 (or whatever follows the S90-S95) come below 300 on sale...maybe its the S105 now.

Really a great line of P&S cameras.

Just looked it up, looks like amazon has the S100 for 300 and the S110 (no such thing as an s105) for 350. My S95 is great, and my dad--who is a professional photographer--doesn't carry anything besides his S90 or my mom's S95 when he travels. I paid $230 on a crazy sale, but I think I saw an S100 for maybe 250-275 on slickdeals recently.

I'm happy with my camera so I haven't been following them much lately...I think I might have read something about people actually preferring the S100 to the S110 (or maybe it was the S95 to the S100, but the S110 is better than both). Either way, I love the little things (which really are little enough to go in a pocket, but take better photos than most much larger cameras)

I'll look in to these as well. At first glance they look great. So maybe deciding if the Cannon is worth the extra jump in price.

 

Thanks for the help guys.

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I wouldn't know the first thing about SLR. I really have no business owning one. I would love it but then follows the advanced things I have no business being around.
That's pretty awesome. I'll have to look at it. 
I'll look in to these as well. At first glance they look great. So maybe deciding if the Cannon is worth the extra jump in price.

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know what your time horizon is, but I would suggest picking a camera (or a couple cameras) that you are interested in, and going to a site like slickdeals and setting up a deal alert to get an email whenever someone posts a deal. Just looking at the recent history, both the S100 and S110 have been $260 or less in the past month...These things only get cheaper as time goes on, and cameras always have
post #11 of 34
Thread Starter 

Neat. I have some time, so that's a great idea. 

post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I wouldn't know the first thing about SLR. I really have no business owning one. I would love it but then follows the advanced things I have no business being around.

Most dslr's have some default settings that essentially render it into a high level point and shoot. In a few years, when you want to, you'll be able to upgrade by buying a new lens (or a variety of lenses).

post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Most dslr's have some default settings that essentially render it into a high level point and shoot. In a few years, when you want to, you'll be able to upgrade by buying a new lens (or a variety of lenses).

Do they have a default setting that makes them fit in a pocket or weigh less than a pound? I like slrs, but they aren't at all right for this guy's basic needs.
post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 

I talked to my girlfriend, who also loves cameras, and she's basically making me get this guy.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=styleforum-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPanasonic-DMC-LX7K-Digital-Intelligent-3-0-inch%2Fdp%2FB008MB719C

 

 

It can be had for just above my price range and she loves it. Great reviews. 

 

I just wish more cameras came with a remote. musicboohoo[1].gif

post #15 of 34

I still think you should go a little more above your price range and get a dslr. Like clothing, they are an investment, and like good shoes, they can be resoled. Actually, that comparison doesn't work. Basically, after you get this guy, you are stuck with it in present form. You can't upgrade it...you want more, you need to buy a new camera. A dslr is upgradable. Want a better camera? Get a new lens. You can actually build your camera "wardrobe." So...imagine an upgradable Edward Green instead of a static Johnston & Murphy.

 

I have a D90

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-12-3MP-DX-Format-Digital-3-5-5-6G/dp/B001ENOZY4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374472899&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d90

 

and my wife has a D80

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-2MP-Digital-18-135mm-Zoom-Nikkor/dp/B000HGIWN4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374473084&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d80

 

You can find both used for just a little above your budget (400 probably...500 max). I've bought all my lenses used and never had a problem, and I know several people who have purchased their camera bodies used and have had no problem. I don't know about buying a used camera online, but Phoenix is a big city...I guarantee that with a little bit of digging you can find a brick and mortar store which sells new and used cameras.

 

That being said PaS are less of a hassle to deal with, but if your GF loves cameras, I'm sure she'll be more than happy to show you how to use a dslr.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Point and Shoot