or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I hate pocket squares !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hate pocket squares !

post #1 of 70
Thread Starter 
I wonder if anyone else shares this opinion but I can't stand them, won't wear them ...hate them !!

I feel Iike its over the top at that point lol.... and I'm not really sure why exactly.

Who's with me !?.....
post #2 of 70

Who cares. Get jackets with welted breast pockets. I mean, a lot of people wear terrible squares, but that hasn't ruined them for me. I'm not going around barefoot because people wear terrible shoes.

post #3 of 70
inbeforeinstitches
post #4 of 70
lurker[1].gif
post #5 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post

Who cares. Get jackets with welted breast pockets. I mean, a lot of people wear terrible squares, but that hasn't ruined them for me. I'm not going around barefoot because people wear terrible shoes.

I declare the shoe analogy invalid as one does not "need" to wear a pocket square but one does need to wear shoes .

This could be why I hate the ps though so many bad ones .... its like a blemish on an otherwise beautiful face .... a pocket square is like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa.
post #6 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1472 View Post


I declare the shoe analogy invalid as one does not "need" to wear a pocket square but one does need to wear shoes .

This could be why I hate the ps though so many bad ones .... its like a blemish on an otherwise beautiful face .... a pocket square is like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa.

Your argument is the one that's not valid. He didn't actually compare pocket squares to shoes. You jumped to that conclusion, and it was "invalid." He simply said that seeing others in unattractive styles of gear doesn't ruin the category for him. He used shoes and pocket squares as examples, not for a comparison. You're a solid troll, but you're shxtty at being a smart@ss.

post #7 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

inbeforeinstitches

^ me too
post #8 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1472 View Post


I declare the shoe analogy invalid as one does not "need" to wear a pocket square but one does need to wear shoes .

This could be why I hate the ps though so many bad ones .... its like a blemish on an otherwise beautiful face .... a pocket square is like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa.


That's a valid point, but VinnyMac has already pointed out what I meant with that. It would 100% scan for all parties if I said "jeans" instead of shoes.

 

I actually think that, purely aesthetically, the curve of a puffed silk hank looks better than the straight line of a plain welted breast pocket (in my original post, I meant "jetted" for welted), and the curve of an Italian pocket looks incomplete without a square. I'm not as big a fan of the straight line a TV fold creates, but they do serve to break up the chest.

 

Put it like this: when I see a fit without a square, I tend to think either "that looks good," or "a square would improve this" (often, when I think this, a plain white linen square would be, IMHO, the best choice). That's a call I make right away -- if it's a great square-less fit, then I don't notice the lack of a square. If it's not great, my eye falls on the breast pocket and I feel like something's missing -- it's like a rock song where the bass guitar is too quiet.

 

On the other hand, fits with squares fall into two categories: "that looks good," or "the square detracts from this." Often, I think the square's pattern is too similar to the tie, or is just kind of crashing the party. This does befall about half of the fits I see that combine patterned squares with ties. It's been too hot for me to wear coat and tie lately, but I'm starting to reach for off-white silk more and more when I do wear coat and tie.

post #9 of 70
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

Your argument is the one that's not valid. He didn't actually compare pocket squares to shoes. You jumped to that conclusion, and it was "invalid." He simply said that seeing others in unattractive styles of gear doesn't ruin the category for him. He used shoes and pocket squares as examples, not for a comparison. You're a solid troll, but you're shxtty at being a smart@ss.

wow.gif alright ill work on that smartass thing.

Seriously though I really don't get the pocket square and ive noticed while browsing SF that almost anyone sporting a suit or sport coat is wearing a p.s. and it looks terrible to me most of the time.

 

Its like if a jacket pocket could vomit it would look exactly like a pocket square!

 

Come on you liked that one admit it!

post #10 of 70
No, you are utterly wrong and your analogy is silly.

Do however feel free to look ill-dressed to stay loyal to your misguided principle. I will at least not dismiss it as spam but I do have sympathy for JubeiSpeigal's view in post 4
post #11 of 70
I actually have some of my suits made without a breast pocket.
post #12 of 70
If you don't like them, don't wear them. I absolutely cannot understand the feeling, but...
post #13 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1472 View Post

I wonder if anyone else shares this opinion but I can't stand them, won't wear them ...hate them !!

I feel Iike its over the top at that point lol.... and I'm not really sure why exactly.

Who's with me !?.....

Based on the original post of this thread it, mp1472 does not like pocket squares and does not know why.  He is looking for people who also don't like pocket squares most likely to form some pocket square hating association (PoSHA).  

 

When it comes down to it, the majority of the things we like in menswear are superfluous.  Neckties are just as superfluous as pocket squares.  

 

I think everyone's time is better spent enjoying/discussing things that one likes as opposed to dislikes.  No good can come of this kind of hate.  Especially if there is no logical reason for it.  In the end, it comes down to aesthetics which is a matter of opinion.  There's no need to discuss opinion as if it were fact.  

post #14 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Acute Style View Post

.  There's no need to discuss opinion as if it were fact.  

biggrin.gif
You're not gonna last long around here with that kind of attitude. May I introduce you to foo.gif?
smile.gif
post #15 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post

I actually have some of my suits made without a breast pocket.
Wow, look who's posting again. Welcome back! You've been missed around here.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I hate pocket squares !