Dirt is often ground up rock. whatever it is comprised of it contributes to cracking of the leather. You may not see it on a suede but abrasion and drying take place.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:58 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 3/17/15 at 5:34am in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Yesterday at 10:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- Why all the hate for wholecuts? Last post on Yesterday at 8:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Alfred Sargent for Herring Last post on 3/19/15 at 4:52am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Leather Quality and Properties - Page 80
Styleforum Top Picks
I've spent too much time on these threads -- when you said "lasts," I thought you were referring to, you know, the lasting process. I thought to myself "If the leather's easy to make retain the shape of a last, how could they lose money?"
But then I remembered what "to last" means in the real world, and I got it. Womp womp.
Box calf has been staked in 2 directions, so in simplified theory the grain is goes from roundish to rectangularish to squarish via this staking. At least, that's the traditional description, more or less. In practice there should be much less stretch and irregularities in a true Box calf. It also used to only be allowed on Black Calf and similar staking on colored calf would be called Willow Calf......not sure if any of that is cared about any longer.
if you don't mind getting the tan shoes darkened, yeah, just one brush.
I use one brush for all of mine brown shoes, and the other one for black
Of course you can,Munky, but afterwards you won't want to use that same brush on your tan shoes
Here are a staking machine and its mechanism. Hardened leather after drying is sandwiched between vibrating stakes to soften the fibers of the leather.
Boarding by hand or machine is another method to soften leather. Besides softening, it develops grain patterns — willow grain, box grain, and pebbled grain. Box grain is considered as one of the origin of box calf.
BOX CALF — A well known proprietary leather having a grain of rectangularly crossed lines.
Box grain by hand-boarding
Here are other explanations of its origin from Handmade Shoes for Men.
These are current definitions.
Box calf — Full chrome tanned calf leather, black or coloured, smooth or boarded. Note: In the UK it must be black. When it is in other colours, see willow calf.
Willow calf — Calf skin leather, coloured, commonly brown, usually with a typical willow grain or with a box grain pattern. Full chrome tanned and boarded either in one direction - head to tail - or in two directions, as with box calf.
Please allow me to correct France T. Kegar is a partner of Weinheimer Leder. When Freudenberg closed, the beamhouse machinery was transferred to Kegar where the entire production is taken by Weinheimer Leder. All of Freudenbergs articles are still produced using Freudenberg methods.
I would be happy to provide any further information should you wish.
- Leather Quality and Properties
- › Introducing RJB - Real Japan Blues 39 seconds ago
- › Online Love Vashikaran【+91-9828939517 】Specialist Baba ji IN UK... 1 minute ago
- › 【POWER】Online Girl Vashikaran【+91-9828939517 】Specialist Baba ji IN... 3 minutes ago
- › Three Streetwear Brands You Should Know - March 26, 2015 4 minutes ago
- › 【इंटरनेशनल POWER】Online Love Problem【+91-9828939517 】Solution Baba... 5 minutes ago
- › Filson x Levis tote bag - canvas, denim, and saddle leather 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 7 minutes ago
- › 【POWER】Tantra Mantra Black Magic【+91-9828939517 】Vashikaran... 9 minutes ago
- › 【पति-पत्नी】Divorce Problem【+91-9828939517 】Solution Specialist Baba... 11 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...