Dirt is often ground up rock. whatever it is comprised of it contributes to cracking of the leather. You may not see it on a suede but abrasion and drying take place.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 6/24/16 at 1:38pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** Last post on Today at 9:40 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 8:25am in Streetwear and Denim
Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
Last edited: 3/24/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Leather Quality and Properties - Page 80post #1186 of 21453/30/14 at 11:05ampost #1187 of 21453/30/14 at 12:48pmQuote:It looks like calf but lasts so much better that makers would lose money by using kangaroo. A shoe addict's choice, I'm sure.
I've spent too much time on these threads -- when you said "lasts," I thought you were referring to, you know, the lasting process. I thought to myself "If the leather's easy to make retain the shape of a last, how could they lose money?"
But then I remembered what "to last" means in the real world, and I got it. Womp womp.post #1188 of 21453/30/14 at 1:49pmpost #1189 of 21453/30/14 at 3:08pmpost #1190 of 21454/8/14 at 8:11ampost #1191 of 21454/8/14 at 10:47amQuote:
Box calf has been staked in 2 directions, so in simplified theory the grain is goes from roundish to rectangularish to squarish via this staking. At least, that's the traditional description, more or less. In practice there should be much less stretch and irregularities in a true Box calf. It also used to only be allowed on Black Calf and similar staking on colored calf would be called Willow Calf......not sure if any of that is cared about any longer.post #1192 of 21454/8/14 at 12:22pmpost #1193 of 21454/12/14 at 3:19ampost #1194 of 21454/12/14 at 5:52amQuote:
if you don't mind getting the tan shoes darkened, yeah, just one brush.
I use one brush for all of mine brown shoes, and the other one for blackpost #1195 of 21454/12/14 at 5:52amQuote:
Of course you can,Munky, but afterwards you won't want to use that same brush on your tan shoespost #1196 of 21454/12/14 at 6:22amThread StarterQuote:
Here are a staking machine and its mechanism. Hardened leather after drying is sandwiched between vibrating stakes to soften the fibers of the leather.
Boarding by hand or machine is another method to soften leather. Besides softening, it develops grain patterns — willow grain, box grain, and pebbled grain. Box grain is considered as one of the origin of box calf.Quote:https://archive.org/stream/shoeleatherencyc00sain#page/100/mode/2up
BOX CALF — A well known proprietary leather having a grain of rectangularly crossed lines.Quote:http://www.shetlandfox.jp/blog/2013/02/2013pattern-order-fairvol2.html
Box grain by hand-boardingQuote:Pebbled grain by hand-boarding
Here are other explanations of its origin from Handmade Shoes for Men.
These are current definitions.Quote:http://www.iultcs.org/leather_terms/search.asp?look_for=calf
Box calf — Full chrome tanned calf leather, black or coloured, smooth or boarded. Note: In the UK it must be black. When it is in other colours, see willow calf.
Willow calf — Calf skin leather, coloured, commonly brown, usually with a typical willow grain or with a box grain pattern. Full chrome tanned and boarded either in one direction - head to tail - or in two directions, as with box calf.post #1197 of 21454/12/14 at 10:58ampost #1198 of 21455/15/14 at 2:18pmHello everybody
Please allow me to correct France T. Kegar is a partner of Weinheimer Leder. When Freudenberg closed, the beamhouse machinery was transferred to Kegar where the entire production is taken by Weinheimer Leder. All of Freudenbergs articles are still produced using Freudenberg methods.
I would be happy to provide any further information should you wish.post #1199 of 21456/4/14 at 4:53pmpost #1200 of 21456/4/14 at 5:21pm
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 12 minutes ago
- › Cigars 15 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 17 minutes ago
- › Rancourt x Club Monaco Navy Chromexcel Ranger-moc 8.5D 18 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 20 minutes ago
- › Burberry legendary Prorsum biker jacket (Very Rare) 21 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding