or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD - Page 66

post #976 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc2162 View Post
 

Sorry, still none the wiser. Could you explain the context of what you're referring to - what case and what person?

 

I'm not sure if you're serious but it's very simple. The poster to whom we were responding stated that black shoes do not go with blue trousers. Seeing as black shoes worn with a navy blue suit is one of the most basic classic menswear combinations, this is clearly wrong. Did this really need explaining?

post #977 of 1311

Call me stupid, if you like, but I can't find a posting about black shoes not going with blue trousers. Are you sure this is the right thread? It is about Loake shoes. If it is the right thread, can you repost the original - and seemingly not very popular - message about blue and black? otherwise, can we get back to Loakes? Yours, as ever, Munky. 

post #978 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Call me stupid, if you like, but I can't find a posting about black shoes not going with blue trousers. Are you sure this is the right thread? It is about Loake shoes. If it is the right thread, can you repost the original - and seemingly not very popular - message about blue and black? otherwise, can we get back to Loakes? Yours, as ever, Munky. 

 

#967, #971.

 

I really don't know why you are dragging this out. The person who posted it probably is a troll and probably was posting to entirely the wrong thread and hence the :facepalm: emoticon was really about all it needed in response. This feels like being forced to explain the punchline of a joke to people with no sense of humour. So yes, please, please get back to the shoes... it would certainly be less painful.

post #979 of 1311
I have just ordered a pair of Downing (it hurts my brain on the pluralised on non pluralised front at the moment) in brown.
Thanks for all comments and messages regarding this
post #980 of 1311

Wasn't familiar with the Downing ....sssisesses (plural..?) so had a look at the Loake website. It looks a really nice shoe; and the suede is rather tempting..

 

It has the same Capital last as the Aldwych that I recently bought; so if you ever want an Oxford to go with your Downing derby, I'd suggest you have a look at those.

 

I take a 7F and they fit me nicely.

 

Enjoy your shoes

post #981 of 1311

Pedants' corner. For waxing my 1880 Burgundy Strands, I find the Saphir Burgundy wax a much better match than Loake's own Burgundy. The Loake wax is a bit dark. Having said that, Loake must be happy with the colour of their wax or they wouldn't sell it!

post #982 of 1311

Tomorrow, Friday,  I plan to buy a pair of Buckinghams. I see them as the missing link between my Chesters and my Strands. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or not. 

post #983 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtttt View Post

Just a heads up for Loake lovers, GentryNYC has the loake paisley single monk in mahogany calf and brown sued for something like 140 and 120 respectively. Not the 1880 line but still, 120$ for a goodyear welted, leather soled loake made in england is pretty cheap.

Does anyone else in the US sell this brand?
post #984 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
 

Tomorrow, Friday,  I plan to buy a pair of Buckinghams. I see them as the missing link between my Chesters and my Strands. Does anyone think this is a good idea, or not. 


In a heartbeat, yes..go for it!  They are great-looking shoes. What colour are you interested in?

 

Am I right in presuming you mean the missing link is the closed laced oxfords to balance your derby Chesters?

post #985 of 1311

I recently purchased some Buckinghams a few weeks ago. So still in the breaking in phase. All-round good shoes (typical Loake), although I do find the toe box a little firm when walking.  But Im sure this will become more flexible with time and give me the usual years of good service which Ive come to expect from Loake .

post #986 of 1311

Thanks for your comments, guys. I am looking for the tan ones. I think what I mean't by the link between the Chester's and the Strand's is that the Chester's are rounded and completely brogued. The Strands are narrow and half brogued. My Strands are in burgundy. The Buckingham, although very similar to the Strand's and have the same, Oxford, lacing the broguing is quite different. 

 

Now, the small matter of convincing my wife...

post #987 of 1311

A suitable letter from your doctor should do the trick.

post #988 of 1311

Suffice to say that I didn't get them, :embar:

post #989 of 1311

I have a sad life and have read  many of the reviews of Loake shoes on their site. A frequent comment is that the Made in India shoes have tougher leather than the UK made ones and take  ages to break in. Are different leathers used in the two countries? I had imagined that Loake's outsource the production costs of  shoes for economical reasons (which, in passing, raises some ethical questions). But is it more than about production costs but about leather quality too? Most of the Indian shoes are made of corrected grain leather but some are full grain. Or is this all about a sentimental attitude towards UK made shoes?  Sincerely yours, Munky. 

post #990 of 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post

I have a sad life and have read  many of the reviews of Loake shoes on their site. A frequent comment is that the Made in India shoes have tougher leather than the UK made ones and take  ages to break in. Are different leathers used in the two countries? I had imagined that Loake's outsource the production costs of  shoes for economical reasons (which, in passing, raises some ethical questions). But is it more than about production costs but about leather quality too? Most of the Indian shoes are made of corrected grain leather but some are full grain. Or is this all about a sentimental attitude towards UK made shoes?  Sincerely yours, Munky. 


"Tougher leather" is probably just lower quality leather.

There's an awful lot of variation in a hide and the more expensive cuts of leather would no doubt go to more expensive shoes.

Here's a handy guide from Justin FitzPatrick, The Shoe Snob.

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/06/leather-quality-how-it-varies.html
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD