or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD - Page 2

post #16 of 1023
I have a pair of 1880 Edward & I think the quality is excellent. I don't understand why Loake seem to have a poorer reputation than other brands but then I'm not a shoe connoisseur smile.gif
post #17 of 1023
Again from previous SF posts:

1880 Strands in Brown:


And 1880 Dorchester under morning trousers:
post #18 of 1023
And Shoemakers 758 suede :
6ac3bb1c_8484850893_fe12e1a20b_b.jpeg
post #19 of 1023
Cavendish, Dore Dore, Gianni Volpe in tropical wool

post #20 of 1023
So with this Royal Warrant thing, does this mean the Queen wears Loake? Or does she buy them for her husband (but I think he has his own Royal Warrant?) *confused*
post #21 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie Egg View Post

So with this Royal Warrant thing, does this mean the Queen wears Loake? Or does she buy them for her husband (but I think he has his own Royal Warrant?) *confused*

From wiki

"Royal warrants of appointment have been issued for centuries to those who supply goods or services to a royal court or certain royal personages. The warrant enables the supplier to advertise the fact that they supply to the royal family, so lending prestige to the supplier. In the United Kingdom, grants are currently made by three members of the British Royal Family to companies or tradesmen who supply goods and services to individuals in the family.

Suppliers continue to charge for their goods and services – a warrant does not imply that they provide goods and services free of charge. The warrant is typically advertised on company hoardings, letter-heads and products by displaying the coat of arms or the heraldic badge of the royal personage as appropriate. Underneath the coat of arms will usually appear the phrase "By Appointment to..." followed by the title and name of the royal customer, and then what goods are provided. No other details of what is supplied may be given."

Loake Bros has:

Manufacturer of Men's Footwear
HM The Queen - Master of the Household

Granted in 2007

pretty much is for the royal officials and the supporting staff, not the Queen herself, nor the Duke or Prince of Wales.

While people may choose to hit out on Loake having the Royal Warrant for servant shoes; these official and staff have jobs just as honourably as any other employee can be, and their attire reflects on the British Sovereign.

This also reflects correct on Loake's place in the market, solid entry level shoes, a lot of classic and contemporary styles, well-made and affordable. From SF point of view, hopefully these are the first quality shoes some of us get and then we move onto higher level makers down the track.
post #22 of 1023

Royal Warrants can be confusing.  As mentioned above it doesn't necessarily imply that the product is used personally (although this can be so, e.g. Davies and Sons as military tailors to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh).

 

Loake 1880s are perfectly acceptable, well-made calf leather shoes (retail price c. £200).  Not at the level of C&J for sure (almost twice as much), but good value.  The thing I would stress about Loake is that they have a very wide range, with lots of basic corrected grain models (c. £100) which I doubt would be to the forvm's taste (although would be an improvement on what many people actually wear because of the traditional styling).  

 

Stick with 1880s or possibly "Evolution" (which despite the name still offers calf in traditional styles - the trendy Loake range is "Design Loake").

post #23 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balfour View Post

Royal Warrants can be confusing.  As mentioned above it doesn't necessarily imply that the product is used personally (although this can be so, e.g. Davies and Sons as military tailors to HRH the Duke of Edinburgh).

Loake 1880s are perfectly acceptable, well-made calf leather shoes (retail price c. £200).  Not at the level of C&J for sure (almost twice as much), but good value.  The thing I would stress about Loake is that they have a very wide range, with lots of basic corrected grain models (c. £100) which I doubt would be to the forvm's taste (although would be an improvement on what many people actually wear because of the traditional styling).  

Stick with 1880s or possibly "Evolution" (which despite the name still offers calf in traditional styles - the trendy Loake range is "Design Loake").

Well said, stick to Made in England and full grain calfs.
post #24 of 1023
Thread Starter 
I love my black dress shoes, the only Loake black cap I have right now is the Ayr on 026 G last. So it has the most room in the toe box, but the insteps are feel similar to other English shoes I have.

From Left to right, Loake Ayr, Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, Tricker's Regent, Alfred Sargent Moore and Alfred Sargent Armfield.



post #25 of 1023
Thread Starter 
marcodalondra, thank you for sharing your photos, nice range of Loakes you have! happy.gif
post #26 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

From a previous SF post, 1880 Knightsbridge
8a271864_8555103920_60d7b7e13a_b.jpeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

Again from previous SF posts:

1880 Strands in Brown:


And 1880 Dorchester under morning trousers:


V too wide . I think you will need to go up one or two width size.
post #27 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Unfortunately, Loakes come in one width, however, I don't think width can help too much with his high instep. My Loake Shoemaker Comfort Tweed is G fitting, but the gap is still present as my other F fitting shoes. I will post photoes when I wear that pair tomorrow.
post #28 of 1023
I have probably the largest "neck" (I believe in English is called outer arch) out there, but the rest of my foot is quite slim. A wider fitting shoes will be to large in the heel and plant (mounds), making my foot dance in it, and sizing up will make me unconfortable as for too much room in the toes box . I actually like this Duke last (e fitting) better then my other 1880 shoes (f fitting) as it hugs my heel and plant better.

Bespoke is my only option really but currently I am spending my spare cash in other areas. Will surely invest in some in the future, most probably Italian Made.

EDIT: Also the main reason why I do not buy more expensive RTW shoes, have tried them all, same probelm with my outer arch...
post #29 of 1023
I'll be ordering a pair of the Loake Aldwych thanks to the pediwear promotion mentioned in this thread.

I usually wear a 10.5 medium width, US. I've been advised to order the Aldwych in 10 UK. Does this sound right?

Thanks
post #30 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonvolt10 View Post

I'll be ordering a pair of the Loake Aldwych thanks to the pediwear promotion mentioned in this thread.

I usually wear a 10.5 medium width, US. I've been advised to order the Aldwych in 10 UK. Does this sound right?

Thanks

Is that your AE size? You usually size down half, like i wear US 7E, and UK 6.5F, I recommend double check with Pediwear with your foot measurement still.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD