or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply Shoe Comparable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suitsupply Shoe Comparable

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hello All,

 

I have been reading the forums for the past two weeks and have learned a lot. After much research on Suitsupply shoes and how overpriced they are, I need some recommendations. I absolutely love the single monk strap shoe; the simplicity is what I am looking for.

 

I am in need of a dark brown shoe and figured a monk strap would be perfect - grey suit, slacks and jeans.

 

My question is, do you know of any single monk strap shoes that compare to these of Suitsupply:

http://us.suitsupply.com/shoes/brown-monk-strap-fw131141/FW131141,en_US,pd.html

 

So far, my shoe collection consists of:

http://www.zappos.com/donald-j-pliner-gui?zfcTest=fcl%3A0

http://www.ferragamo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategories_31150_35551#/product/27661/6148914691233337743/448566

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_409009

 

Thank you in advance for your help!

 

- Realtor

post #2 of 7
This one is close http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Monk-Straps/276H,default,pd.html?dwvar_276H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=3&cgid=0522

It is, however, twice the price, but can be had for less on sale. I wouldn't wear either pair with jeans.
post #3 of 7

would allen edmonds norwich interest you?

post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post

would allen edmonds norwich interest you?

 

There's just something I do not like about AE's! They are, well, just a "blob". At least in my eyes. I am twenty-two working with 50+ year old professionals; I am trying to stand out amongst the crowd! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

This one is close http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Monk-Straps/276H,default,pd.html?dwvar_276H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=3&cgid=0522

It is, however, twice the price, but can be had for less on sale. I wouldn't wear either pair with jeans.

 

Thanks, msulinski, but the brown is not what I was looking for and I would rather not pay that price for a monk strap, being that it will be my first pair. After doing much research, I have seen SF'ers say that monk straps go great with jeans. Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you wear them with a quality denim pant? Sorry, I have never wore a pair with jeans so I am speaking with no real, personal experience.

 

--

 

I may just pick these Suitsupply monks up 'sole'ly on the looks alone. I have searched and searched and searched, in store and online, and cannot find a similar style / color combination. 

 

However, keep the recommendations coming! 

post #5 of 7
I've never seen a recommendation for monk straps with jeans from anyone on this board, but I admit I could be looking in the wrong threads.

I just think monk straps tend to be too sleek and formal looking for jeans. I think you will stand out doing this, and not in a good way.
post #6 of 7

just as a bit of general advice, your tastes and preferences will change, usually all the time.  if you buy a pair of shoes that sf recommends and approves, and you don't like them, you'll be pissed off every time you wear them, or not wear them at all.

 

if you dig the shoes and think you can make them work, get them.  through trial and error you'll find out what works for you, hopefully sooner than later before your wallet's dried up.  good luck and show us pictures of the shoes after you get them.

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by red81 View Post

just as a bit of general advice, your tastes and preferences will change, usually all the time.  if you buy a pair of shoes that sf recommends and approves, and you don't like them, you'll be pissed off every time you wear them, or not wear them at all.

 

if you dig the shoes and think you can make them work, get them.  through trial and error you'll find out what works for you, hopefully sooner than later before your wallet's dried up.  good luck and show us pictures of the shoes after you get them.

 

Hey Red, I agree. As mentioned up top, I was looking for a quality shoe with the same style / finish of the Suitsupply because from what I have read, Suitsupply's shoes are not of great quality. My mistake if I came off as "What monk strap shoe do you recommend." I was simply trying to tap into SF and their knowledge of the many products on the market. But, like you said, personal tastes change over time so if they get me through the next three to five years, I'll be happy!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

I've never seen a recommendation for monk straps with jeans from anyone on this board, but I admit I could be looking in the wrong threads.

I just think monk straps tend to be too sleek and formal looking for jeans. I think you will stand out doing this, and not in a good way.

 

I've come across a few during many Google searches. Here is one: http://www.styleforum.net/t/224717/double-monk-straps-with-jeans-yea-or-nay.

 

However, I did order the Suitsupply monks so I'll see how they look - will post pictures when I receive them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suitsupply Shoe Comparable