or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Looking for a three piece navy suit in Chicagoland
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a three piece navy suit in Chicagoland

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I'll be the first to admit that I've put off the search for far to long. I need a suit before August 24th for my wedding. I'm in the Chicago area and I'm thinking about Brooks Brothers, but I don't know what else is around here. I'm trying to keep the complete package (suit and tailoring) under $1,000. 

 

For what its worth, I'm going to wear my black park ave's and a typical black/white or sliver wedding tie (plaids and checks). I'm probably going to buy my groomsmen ties to wear and I'm thinking of ordering from Jaan J. I'd like to keep the costs down as much as possible. 

 

So can anyone recommend any other places to look? Are there any local shops that are worth visiting for both suits and ties? Can I get something tailored in time before August 24th?

 

Edit: I'm on the larger side, size wise, and wear something like a 44R/L (I'm 6'1"-6'2", 215 lbs)


Edited by Jester87 - 7/5/13 at 1:15pm
post #2 of 16
You've got plenty of time.
post #3 of 16
Try Paul Stuart. I do not know if they still do this, but a vest could be ordered for many of their
two piece suits.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Try Paul Stuart. I do not know if they still do this, but a vest could be ordered for many of their
two piece suits.

 

I don't really know anything about Paul Stuart. How does the quality compare to other suit makers? Do they offer good price to quality ratio?

post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester87 View Post

I don't really know anything about Paul Stuart. How does the quality compare to other suit makers? Do they offer good price to quality ratio?

Most suits are made by Samuelsohn which is a great maker. Personally, I think the value is fair - think of them as a better Brooks Brothers.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stant62 View Post

Most suits are made by Samuelsohn which is a great maker. Personally, I think the value is fair - think of them as a better Brooks Brothers.

Much more "style" than BB.
As of a few years ago they also offered very high-end
RTW made by Isaia, at least in their New York store.
post #7 of 16
I visited Paul Stuart in Chicago a week or so ago. Great shop and knowledgable SAs. Not sure they had suits made by Isaia at the store I visited. They did have suits made by Oxxford (and I picked one up!). As mentioned, they also have RTW suits made by Samuelsohn.

In any case, not sure the $1000 price point is achievable at Paul Stuart but it may be worth a look.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post

I visited Paul Stuart in Chicago a week or so ago. Great shop and knowledgable SAs. Not sure they had suits made by Isaia at the store I visited. They did have suits made by Oxxford (and I picked one up!). As mentioned, they also have RTW suits made by Samuelsohn.

In any case, not sure the $1000 price point is achievable at Paul Stuart but it may be worth a look.

Oxxford probaby replaced Isaia. The Isaia i tried on in NY four years ago was beautiful, but priced in the Kiton range.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester87 View Post

I'll be the first to admit that I've put off the search for far to long. I need a suit before August 24th for my wedding. I'm in the Chicago area and I'm thinking about Brooks Brothers, but I don't know what else is around here. I'm trying to keep the complete package (suit and tailoring) under $1,000. 

For what its worth, I'm going to wear my black park ave's and a typical black/white or sliver wedding tie (plaids and checks). I'm probably going to buy my groomsmen ties to wear and I'm thinking of ordering from Jaan J. I'd like to keep the costs down as much as possible. 

So can anyone recommend any other places to look? Are there any local shops that are worth visiting for both suits and ties? Can I get something tailored in time before August 24th?

Edit: I'm on the larger side, size wise, and wear something like a 44R/L (I'm 6'1"-6'2", 215 lbs)

For ties, wedding or otherwise, you should check out Sam Hober. Great quality and price.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 

Anyone know the average turn around time on tailoring?

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester87 View Post

Anyone know the average turn around time on tailoring?

Not sure if you are referring to Paul Stuart with your question, but the suit I just purchased is taking 2-3 weeks. My take is that this is longer than normal due to the sale they just had. I would think one of the SAs would be able to tell you how long to expect.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

I'm just in a bit of a crunch right now because I'm studying for the bar. I'd really like to be able to shop after I take it at the end of the month, but I don't know if thats enough time.

post #13 of 16
You should have time if you go shopping at the beginning of August.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester87 View Post

I'm just in a bit of a crunch right now because I'm studying for the bar. I'd really like to be able to shop after I take it at the end of the month, but I don't know if thats enough time.

You'll be fine. Just tell them when you need the suit and for what and most respectable places will figure out how to make it happen. I'd ask for it to be ready at least a week before your wedding.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

You'll be fine. Just tell them when you need the suit and for what and most respectable places will figure out how to make it happen. I'd ask for it to be ready at least a week before your wedding.

+1 - I'm sure mine could have been sooner if need be but I wasn't in a rush nor against any deadline.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Looking for a three piece navy suit in Chicagoland