or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Burgundy shoe polish?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burgundy shoe polish?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hello Style Forum,

 

I wonder if anybody could recommend which shade of Saphir shoe polish products would be suitable for these burgundy shoes? Thanks

 

 

post #2 of 9
Just use a neutral shoe polish for those shoes
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your reply Mr Engineer. I was going to use neutral, but I've seen several SF forums where people suggest it should only be used very sparingly and not on the uppers, so opinion seems somewhat divided...

post #4 of 9
Neutral can flake white where wrinkles occur. I would stay with burgundy cream polish. Welcome to Styleforum Roberto1984.
post #5 of 9

Saphir offers a Mahogany and a Burgundy.

 

Both are predominantly red of course, but the Mahogany is more of a Yellow/Brown Red compared to the Purple/Red of the Burgundy. As such I would recommend the Burgundy, but realized in the last few months that it's not massively critical to get the colour spot on. I used a lot of Mahogany on a pair of tanned monks from Cheaney,adding a red hue to them, and received a lot of compliments yesterday. 

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid-Modernist View Post

Saphir offers a Mahogany and a Burgundy.

Both are predominantly red of course, but the Mahogany is more of a Yellow/Brown Red compared to the Purple/Red of the Burgundy. As such I would recommend the Burgundy, but realized in the last few months that it's not massively critical to get the colour spot on. I used a lot of Mahogany on a pair of tanned monks from Cheaney,adding a red hue to them, and received a lot of compliments yesterday. 

I use Saphir's mahogany (mahagoni?) on brown shoes to give them a chestnut brown hue and some really nice depth of color. I wouldn't use it on my burgundy shoes (though I've never tried Saphir burgundy).
post #7 of 9
Burgundy would probably be too light. Might help fill in the background should there be any scuffing. Otherwise, those are super dark shoes!

check out the below comparison of the different Saphir colors:

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbya View Post

Burgundy would probably be too light. Might help fill in the background should there be any scuffing. Otherwise, those are super dark shoes!

check out the below comparison of the different Saphir colors:


I think the white background on your color card is seriously distorting the colors. My Saphir mahogany cream is MUCH darker than it looks in your photo. If the OP is worried about cream polish being too light, he can always alternate polishing with burgundy and black or mix burgundy with black. I find it very easy to darken shoes.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post

I think the white background on your color card is seriously distorting the colors. My Saphir mahogany cream is MUCH darker than it looks in your photo. If the OP is worried about cream polish being too light, he can always alternate polishing with burgundy and black or mix burgundy with black. I find it very easy to darken shoes.

The polish is going to look lighter on a white background, but it gives a good ideas of the relative color differences. Mahogany is darker, but this shows the difference in color vs. burgundy, cognac, and the other browns. The Burgundy is also much darker than shown, but, again, this is for illustration.

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Burgundy shoe polish?