or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Detroit bespoke tailors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Detroit bespoke tailors?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
...
post #2 of 10
Member Clarinetplayer has posted on this forum about a custom Oxxford suit he had made for him at the Claymore Shop in Birmingham, Michigan and about a custom suit he had made for him in Ann Arbor. There's a very long thread about the Oxxford suit. You might want to contact him directly.
post #3 of 10
Another place to consider is Paul Cicchini in Birmingham. I can post info if need be...
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
...
post #5 of 10
I would recommend Paul Cicchini as well. Used him a couple times. It wasn't cheap, but it was reasonable for the results.
post #6 of 10
How long ago did you use Paul Cicchini?  The old man is no longer there, and I'm not sure I can recommend them, although they were once great. Claymore is okay for MTM suits (Polo, Oxxford, etc.).  A great option if you want to go MTM is Carl Sterr in Birmingham who carries Samuelsohn, Brioni, and Borrelli, and whose on-staff tailor, Walter, is wonderful.  If your friend wants to go bespoke, there are options available, e-mail me. As far as great mens stores go, there is an admitted dearth of shops in the Detroit area, but there are a few small bright spots such as Sterr and my other "secret" spots.   BTW, a potential reason to avoid Cicchini, is that they have the worst store window displays I have ever seen at any store in any city in my life. These horrendous windows are eclipsed in vulgarity only by a store in a dilapidated building in downtown Detroit that I used to drive by called "GQ Menswear". They're so bad they're funny.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
How long ago did you use Paul Cicchini? The old man is no longer there, and I'm not sure I can recommend them.
Quote:
As far as great mens stores go, there is an admitted dearth of shops in the Detroit area, but there are a few small bright spots such as Sterr and my other "secret" spots.
Please reveal the secrets.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Quote:
How long ago did you use Paul Cicchini?  The old man is no longer there, and I'm not sure I can recommend them.
Quote As far as great mens stores go, there is an admitted dearth of shops in the Detroit area, but there are a few small bright spots such as Sterr and my other "secret" spots.
Please reveal the secrets.[/quote] 1996 would have been the "old guard", you were lucky, and from my admittedly anecdotal experience probably ended up with a beautiful garment. E-mail me if you plan on being in the area, and I'll divulge. I would honestly post it, but the tailor can barely keep up with his present orders, and I wouldn't want to inundate him without asking him first.
post #9 of 10
Carl Sterr is a great store... Cicchini has a pretty broad price range, and I've heard the same about Paul himself being gone...I thought the window displays were OK when I was there. But the staff is nice, businesslike, and there are supposedly 9 tailors there full time. You could also try Manno in Dearborn, for some reason I forgot about them first time 'round. I'd disagree about a dearth of stores- no Louis Boston, Lawrence Covell, or Wilkes, to be sure...But a lot of stores with decent selections to fit the above average budget. And I'd definitely rate Claymore and Carl Sterr in the upper echelon (Steve's Top 50- which would really be more like 75), albeit not Robb Report Top 10 material.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Carl Sterr is a great store... Cicchini has a pretty broad price range, and I've heard the same about Paul himself being gone...I thought the window displays were OK when I was there. But the staff is nice, businesslike, and there are supposedly 9 tailors there full time. You could also try Manno in Dearborn, for some reason I forgot about them first time 'round. I'd disagree about a dearth of stores- no Louis Boston, Lawrence Covell, or Wilkes, to be sure...But a lot of stores with decent selections to fit the above average budget. And I'd definitely rate Claymore and Carl Sterr in the upper echelon (Steve's Top 50- which would really be more like 75), albeit not Robb Report Top 10 material.
Detroit has a few good stores, I hope I didn't give the impression that we have nothing. There is a notable void for English shoe (or clothing) fans however. We also lack a grand browsing emporium, like a Louis, a Paul Stuart, Bergdorf Men, or even a large Polo store. Of note, we are getting an 8,000 sq. ft. Polo store in November, Thomas Pink will be here in late summer, and a Lacoste store just opened.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Detroit bespoke tailors?