or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Belt-less look
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Belt-less look

Poll Results: Is omitting the belt a good choice?

 
  • 68% (13)
    Yes
  • 31% (6)
    No
19 Total Votes  
post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

We all know it is essential to match your belt - brown, black, whatever - with your shoes. But what do you guys think about omitting the belt in a suit all together?

 

The rational is that this is a "fresher" look and allows the vertical lines in an outfit to flow seamlessly, whereas a belt supposedly breaks the vertical flow. And if you're worried about leaving your shoes hanging without a partner, you could always pair it with a leather watch strap to show that you put some thought into the outfit! What do you guys think? 

 

 

For the sake of this thread lets assume you don't need extra help holding up your pants :p

post #2 of 17

It's fine as long as the trousers don't have belt loops. 

post #3 of 17
All my suits are without belt loops. side adjusters only.
post #4 of 17
I would have to say that it varies with different suits and outfits. Most of the time I wear a belt but sometimes you really feel that the belt breaks the lines so badly that I've skipped the belt even on some pants with belt loops...
post #5 of 17
i can see with cotton, linen or casual suits your way, still, my pref is side adjuster biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmefly View Post

I would have to say that it varies with different suits and outfits. Most of the time I wear a belt but sometimes you really feel that the belt breaks the lines so badly that I've skipped the belt even on some pants with belt loops...
post #6 of 17
I wear all of my suits with suspenders/braces because it's more comfortable and looks neater, not so much because of vertical lines but because the trousers hang better.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiristol View Post

It's fine as long as the trousers don't have belt loops. 

My thoughts exactly, the suit jacket suppose to cover up the belt anyways, so visually there is no breaking of the outfit.
Edited by wurger - 6/26/13 at 3:31pm
post #8 of 17
old mem stuff haha just kidding smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post

I wear all of my suits with suspenders/braces because it's more comfortable and looks neater, not so much because of vertical lines but because the trousers hang better.
post #9 of 17
Purely personal choice and neither good nor bad. The poll question is not well thought through to get a meaningful result. Should be - 'Do you prefer...' or similar.
post #10 of 17
I get suits made with side adjusters and suspender buttons. I have one BB suit with belt loops but then one's choices with RTW are more limited. Entirely personal preference, though, IMO.
post #11 of 17
For the sake of the thread would it not be assumed that the pants in question have belt loops? If you have no loops and side adjusters it's not really an option to wear a belt. Unless of course you're a girl and the pants are a skirt...
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmefly View Post

For the sake of the thread would it not be assumed that the pants in question have belt loops? If you have no loops and side adjusters it's not really an option to wear a belt. Unless of course you're a girl and the pants are a skirt...

Yea that seems obvious so we'll assume that the pants DO have belt loops. Is it necessary to fill them in? 

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiristol View Post

It's fine as long as the trousers don't have belt loops. 

+1
post #14 of 17
Pointless discussion really. Do what you like, what looks or feels best. You should have your jacket buttoned almost all the time anyway so the belt is only visible when you unbutton it to sit down, at which point any discussion about breaking vertical lines becomes moot.
post #15 of 17
As others have said, side adjusters are essential. No belt loops.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Belt-less look