or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Hong Kong" Tailors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Hong Kong" Tailors - Page 2

post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
Actually, if you use the search function for "Hong Kong tailors," you will find a plethora of information on itinerant Hong Kong tailors. W.W. Chan, whom I can most highly recommend based on personal experience, is the most popular and respected in the forum culture. I am confident that anything from them will be much superior to to anything from Banks, but it will also cost substantially more.

Hemrajani Brothers (mytailor.com) also have a following among forum members.

No other itinerant HK tailor gets any favorable mention that I am aware of among the thousands of members of these clothing fora. There is probably a message there.

Well, some have to learn how to spell HonK Kong first.
post #17 of 45
Yes, seriously, and I'm not adverstising, or is this a tailoring scheme! MyTailor.com is a very well respected firm. Check this forum for feedback. Sir, have you had tailored done by this firm? Probably not!
post #18 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Yes, seriously, and I'm not adverstising, or is this a tailoring scheme! MyTailor.com is a very well respected firm. Check this forum for feedback. Sir, have you had tailored done by this firm? Probably not!
THIS WAS IN RESPONSE TO (BELOW)


seriously ...


Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
Dear Sir,

I've personally dealt with "The Tailored Man", for over ten years or more. Sunder, is excellent, with regards to tailor made shirts. If it's suiting that you'll need, I would recommend you to "MyTailor.com", under Joe Hemrajani. Joe's establishment, has tailored, several sport jackets, suits and vests for me. MyTailor.com, does an excellent job, with regards to "attention to detail". I would highly recommend Joe's firm. My very first blazer done with MyTailor.com, was tailored, pretty close to being flawless. If you contact me directly, I can refer you to Joe.
post #19 of 45
Paul

Your intentions may be good, but I am sure that most forum members here will be a little sceptical of someone being such an advocate for a company called 'my tailor.com', when we all know that almost all HK based indian tailoring businesses do not have the same standards or workmanship that we all adhere to.

Not trying to be rude, but I am a long time HK resident and have experience
post #20 of 45
just to be clear: mytailor.com doesn't have a storefront in Hong Kong. the "tailor" Joe Hemrajani resides in the United States and acts as the "front" of the operations. once an order has been made they send the measurements and other details to their office in Hong Kong, on the 11th floor of a building off Nathan Road in TST. I have a suspicion that they either do contractual work for some tailors or they do fabric trade, but I'm pretty sure mytailor.com doesn't have a shop in HKG.
post #21 of 45
Wasted time! Wasted breath! I thorough convinced, some of the participating members of the forum, are just so clueless, and mis-informed! My intentions (dbachman), were just to provide you with the benefit of my own personal experience. I would only advise, that you make your own best determination, based on information provided in the forum. Good luck Sir!

End of discussion.
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Anyone who views Hong Kong as a city with a low cost of living is probably viewing it through the rose tinted glasses of a billionaire, or else he hasn't been to or stayed in Hong Kong.
funny you say that, cause i've lived in HK half my life. Although I visibily see inflation the past 5 years. Back in 97' after handover and the subsequenty asian financial crisis you could see massive deflation where prices would get cheaper (where else in developed countries can you see food get cheaper)? cost of living- Depends what you're talking about. HK"s main export of electronics are the cheapest in the world. You can get quality suits for a fraction of the US equivalent retail price. Luxury brands Gucci, armani etc. subscribe to law of one price though. opps got CFA exam tmr. breakfast then i'm off to study.
post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy View Post
just to be clear: mytailor.com doesn't have a storefront in Hong Kong. the "tailor" Joe Hemrajani resides in the United States and acts as the "front" of the operations. once an order has been made they send the measurements and other details to their office in Hong Kong, on the 11th floor of a building off Nathan Road in TST. I have a suspicion that they either do contractual work for some tailors or they do fabric trade, but I'm pretty sure mytailor.com doesn't have a shop in HKG.

I have rather assumed something like that was the case. Certainly, when the subject of Hong Kong tailoring comes up, the substantial number of members of this forum who reside in HK will mention Chan, A-Man, Baroman, Yao and some others, but none have mentioned Hemrajani.

However, this is immaterial to Hemrajani's overseas customers if he delivers satisfactory garments to them, which he seemingly does with at least enough regularity to retain a following among forum participants. That said, I've never used him and probably won't as long as Chan does tours. Should Chan stop doing tours, however, I would not be averse to giving Hemrajani a try.

I think it is unfair and racist to imply, as one poster did, that because many HK-based Indian tailors are shoddy, rip-off operations, Hemrajani must be bad news simply because he's Indian.
post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
I have rather assumed something like that was the case. Certainly, when the subject of Hong Kong tailoring comes up, the substantial number of members of this forum who reside in HK will mention Chan, A-Man, Baroman, Yao and some others, but none have mentioned Hemrajani.

However, this is immaterial to Hemrajani's overseas customers if he delivers satisfactory garments to them, which he seemingly does with at least enough regularity to retain a following among forum participants. That said, I've never used him and probably won't as long as Chan does tours. Should Chan stop doing tours, however, I would not be averse to giving Hemrajani a try.

I think it is unfair and racist to imply, as one poster did, that because many HK-based Indian tailors are shoddy, rip-off operations, Hemrajani must be bad news simply because he's Indian.

very true, Jan. in a moment of curiosity, I emailed their American office and asked them if I could have shirts ordered in their Hong Kong office. long story short, I visited their office in Kowloon and had some shirts made and I'm a satisfied customer.
post #25 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginlimetonic View Post
funny you say that, cause i've lived in HK half my life. Although I visibily see inflation the past 5 years. Back in 97' after handover and the subsequenty asian financial crisis you could see massive deflation where prices would get cheaper (where else in developed countries can you see food get cheaper)?

cost of living- Depends what you're talking about. HK"s main export of electronics are the cheapest in the world. You can get quality suits for a fraction of the US equivalent retail price. Luxury brands Gucci, armani etc. subscribe to law of one price though.

opps got CFA exam tmr. breakfast then i'm off to study.

I guess the cost of living I was refering to was real estate. I agree clothes and electronics are good value there.

Good luck for your CFA tomorrow. I assume it's level 3?
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel View Post
I have rather assumed something like that was the case. Certainly, when the subject of Hong Kong tailoring comes up, the substantial number of members of this forum who reside in HK will mention Chan, A-Man, Baroman, Yao and some others, but none have mentioned Hemrajani.

However, this is immaterial to Hemrajani's overseas customers if he delivers satisfactory garments to them, which he seemingly does with at least enough regularity to retain a following among forum participants. That said, I've never used him and probably won't as long as Chan does tours. Should Chan stop doing tours, however, I would not be averse to giving Hemrajani a try.

I think it is unfair and racist to imply, as one poster did, that because many HK-based Indian tailors are shoddy, rip-off operations, Hemrajani must be bad news simply because he's Indian.
+1

I've had a shirt made by mytailor.com, and was happy with both the fabric and workmanship.
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post
7.75 Cost of living in HK is not low, by any measure.
+1 When I saw someone quote 7.5 I freaked out and almost jumped out the window. HK costs mega bucks to live in. It may Chinese, but it isn't cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by instep View Post
+1 I've had a shirt made by mytailor.com, and was happy with both the fabric and workmanship.
+1 Again, although I am expecting a few shirts form Ascot Chang.
post #28 of 45
I think there are some really great tailors in HK, but there is also a lot of shameless crap. Especially the ones on the Kowloon side that chase after you yelling, "Hey friend, hey friend, see my shop. I make suit". --- The irony is the guy is dressed like a beggar. The moment you don't want his nasty little suit the "Copy Watch! Copy Watch!" crap begins.

I wish the police would clean this up. I am less worried about working girls in Wanchai, than the hoards of fraud tailors hawking to the tourists. At least the Wanchai girls are attractive, the fraud tailors are an absolute visual blight and nuisance.

With that said, my Ascot Chang shirts have been great, but over priced, and I hope to order today a suit from A-Man. Before I leave this place I hope to check out a few others like Goron Yao and the like.
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdavis View Post
I think there are some really great tailors in HK, but there is also a lot of shameless crap. Especially the ones on the Kowloon side that chase after you yelling, "Hey friend, hey friend, see my shop. I make suit". --- The irony is the guy is dressed like a beggar. The moment you don't want his nasty little suit the "Copy Watch! Copy Watch!" crap begins. I wish the police would clean this up. I am less worried about working girls in Wanchai, than the hoards of fraud tailors hawking to the tourists. At least the Wanchai girls are attractive, the fraud tailors are an absolute visual blight and nuisance. With that said, my Ascot Chang shirts have been great, but over priced, and I hope to order today a suit from A-Man. Before I leave this place I hope to check out a few others like Goron Yao and the like.
Instead of those TST bullshit, I wonder if any Westerners who visits HK ever bothers to check out tailors in North Point. A lot of them are run by Shanghainese or descendents of them. But I'm talking about decent suits for decent prices here. That's why a lot of locals go there.
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasili_leung View Post
Instead of those TST bullshit, I wonder if any Westerners who visits HK ever bothers to check out tailors in North Point. A lot of them are run by Shanghainese or descendents of them. But I'm talking about decent suits for decent prices here. That's why a lot of locals go there.

+1 Very fair point. Got any names or any streets to recommend? I don't speak Cantonese, but can drag a friend along who does if needed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › "Hong Kong" Tailors