or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Apartment foo-nishing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apartment foo-nishing - Page 108

post #1606 of 2411
The wire one? Yes.
post #1607 of 2411
The first table was gimmicky and not very attractive (sorry foo.) This table looks awesome with the rug. Quite stunning, in fact. White lacquer, preferably glossy, would also look nice, but no better.
post #1608 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

None of those views were nuanced. More importantly, none were convincing. What constitutes too much white or too little? Lefty has stated that the proportions are wrong, but did not give a good argument for why.

Dopey's comment is the closest to useful. However, he is still wrong. My pattern-matching principles apply to outfits, which are worn by people. We do not see people the same way we see their environments. In the case of the former, we see one unit. In the case of the latter, we tend not to forget we are looking at many different elements.
I would not personally want to do a truly white room (like the one you posted). I'm very glad that you don't hate ours though. The cross-section of people who like our space is encouraging.
We're not getting rid of it--just moving it. We are replacing it with a Cappellini Lotus lounge chair.

Hilarious. Classic Foo. You reject all these views because you do not agree with them. Hence, in Foo-world, they are stupid.

But people's reactions do not have to be "convincing." You post all these pictures and ask, "Do you like my living room?" Dopey says, "The two patterns you have are too close together both in size and space. They bother me." You say, "No, you can't use pattern-matching rules here. Ergo, it's fine." I point out that with your current setup, you have spent a lot of time, effort and angst to create a display room for your money cat. You say . . . well, I don't know what you say, apart from that this isn't nuanced enough for you.

But the fact remains that Dopey is bothered by the pattern matching and finds it slightly disturbing. If you don't and are OK with the fact that some people do, fine. But Dopey does not have to "convince" you that his reaction is "correct." His reaction is what it is and he has a perfectly reasonable -- even insightful -- basis for it. The more thoughtful and interesting -- even nuanced -- response from you would be exploring how you might alter the room in some way that does not compromise your aesthetic vision but takes this potential problem into account. Of course, I am aware that you would not have your own emoticon if this were at all likely to happen.

The same thing goes for your money cat. In that room, -- and this is effectively a physiological law of nature -- your money cat might as well have a flashing red light and siren. People are going to notice it and focus on it. If that's OK with you, fine. Whether you are "convinced" that it is "correct" for people to do that rather than reveling in all the lovely textures you have provided is beside the point.
post #1609 of 2411
The only thing that bothers me about the maneki neko is I thought you were of Chinese ancestry, Foo?
post #1610 of 2411
I love how when people disagree with Foo his answer is always along the lines of: "you are too stupid or ignorant to understand why I'm right".

I also like the fact that Foo scoffs at other people's "culturally conditioned" notions of comfortable furnishings, and then he goes ahead and listens to everyone's advice vis-à-vis comfort by buying a big fucking fluffy rug, followed by an even more fluffy hide, to take the edge of his angular furniture and save his living room from looking like the waiting room of a marketing firm. Actually, come to think of it, this might be the first time Foo has ever acted upon SF advice! (Naturally, he will never admit it.)

Personally, I like basically everything in your room; and I don't share other people's concerns about lack of contrast, or overabundance of whites and creams. Apart from: I hate the stupid, Anthropologie vivariums and the ugly, useless, cock-and-balls vase.

I would suggesting throwing those vivariums and the vase against the wall in anger with your self, and proceeding to replace them with: (1) a great, expressive, black-and-white Chinese calligraphy painting to hang on the wall; and (2) a ceramic vase by a Chinese or Japanese mastercraftsman in place of the vase (this website his good, http://www.japanpotterynet.com/en/products/list.php?category_id=24).
post #1611 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

The only thing that bothers me about the maneki neko is I thought you were of Chinese ancestry, Foo?

They started in Japan but they are very popular in China and Taiwan, too, and have been for a long time. They are even starting to catch on in other parts of Asia.
post #1612 of 2411
The only adequate thing foo could do in response to criticism is say "This is my fucking living room. Fuck you. I know how I want to live, and that's WHITE." The fact that he's playing this prolonged game of reactionary self-defense while still soliciting approval of this crap that is subjective is just proof that it's all vain fucking bullshit, because he's deferred the opportunity to represent himself with a way of life and he has no idea what any of this shit means to him.

If nobody ever entered foo's apartment, or he never showed anybody photos of it, would the interior still look like this? No, of course not, because you guys are vicariously decorating it for him.
post #1613 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

They started in Japan but they are very popular in China and Taiwan, too, and have been for a long time. They are even starting to catch on in other parts of Asia.

But is it an honest expression of...shit, tired of that one.

wink.gif
post #1614 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

The first table was gimmicky and not very attractive (sorry foo.) This table looks awesome with the rug. Quite stunning, in fact. White lacquer, preferably glossy, would also look nice, but no better.
I loved this table too, until I saw it on the rug. I didn't get the first table, but think it would look better here than the marble. But I am really bugged by the marble over this rug.
post #1615 of 2411
SH, I think you completely misunderstand Foo, perhaps because you don't know him from Menswear. You've got the wrong read on him. He can be an arsehole, but the last thing he is is some little idiot seeking approval and other people to tell him what he likes. There's also obviously no doubt he's vain, but he does this whole Styleforum thing in pursuit of something a little more noble: because he genuinely wants convincing arguments against him so that he can perfect his aesthetic philosophy by discounting those counterarguments or subsuming them.

And also, Foo you've got completely the wrong read on SH. He couldn't given a shit less about how much money you have or how much stuff you have. And he's not just a moron who uses snark to cover up the fact that he lacks real ability or intelligence.
post #1616 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

There's obviously no doubt he's vain.

This is important. The problem with foo is that he resists all accusations that out him for what he is, which is plastic and insecure. He dances around this plasticity under the guise of aesthetic taste or "modernism" or other bullshit that justifies his selections, which would otherwise be perfectly acceptable if there was merely the explicit honesty or implicit smirk that he's just trying to jam as much as impressively expensive shit into his cubicle of a living room as he can. If foo were a convincing aesthete of a particular persuasion, this thread wouldn't exist, as the absence of Labelking's interior thread gives proof to. Labelking wakes up in the morning knowing he's a certifiable character, but he owns that character autonomously without ever giving indication he gives a shit what you think of the character he plays. Foo is desperate for people to validate himself, which is unfortunate, because he's not interesting.
post #1617 of 2411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

foo, is it not possible that through the acquisition of knowledge and intellectual exploration, you are really just opting for a different cultural conditioning? we're getting back to the old questions of absolute aesthetic values. an honest question, not a troll. and i like a lot of things about the room and certainly endorse your right to enjoy the ones i don't like.

Of course it is possible. But you have to choose: give up or keep digging. I pick the latter. It is much more rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Not what I was thinking at all. I'm just shocked that after your series of unfortunate events you'd go back . . .

Ah, fair enough. But they have been very good on the customer service end. I don't expect things to always come out right straight from the box, but I do expect reputable vendors to make good. Cappellini agrees our marble is defective and is going to replace the table top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

FG gave a good answer. Even when we test our prejudices what lens do we test them through and through what lens do we "overcome" them? I agree with you some people have a much deeper and broader depth of these things but "these things" are not some Platonic ideal IMO but merely a thicker catalogue from which to draw social and cultural ques from. There is probably a reason one does not see much mid-century modern in double wides.

Maybe you never fully overcome them. But I think it is incumbent upon a person to use his best facilities to try. Do you really want to be a person that is comfortable with his own prejudices, whatever they or, or spending time with people like that? I can't tolerate either. Nobody is perfect, but that should not stop us from seeking to improve ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

Hilarious. Classic Foo. You reject all these views because you do not agree with them. Hence, in Foo-world, they are stupid.

No, I reject them because they aren't convincing. Which is a pretty damned good reason to reject an argument--the best reason actually. Obviously you believe otherwise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

But people's reactions do not have to be "convincing."

What the fuck can I say to that? You go live in your world where you believe unconvincing things, and I will stay the fuck away from you and that world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

SH, I think you completely misunderstand Foo, perhaps because you don't know him from Menswear. You've got the wrong read on him. He can be an arsehole, but the last thing he is is some little idiot seeking approval and other people to tell him what he likes. There's also obviously no doubt he's vain, but he does this whole Styleforum thing in pursuit of something a little more noble: because he genuinely wants convincing arguments against him so that he can perfect his aesthetic philosophy by discounting those counterarguments or subsuming them.

Yes. It bothers me that this is so accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

And also, Foo you've got completely the wrong read on SH. He couldn't given a shit less about how much money you have or how much stuff you have. And he's not just a moron who uses snark to cover up the fact that he lacks real ability or intelligence.

In my experience, people with real ability and intelligence tend to use them, rather than employ "snark." Snarky people are almost aways stupid or not nearly as smart as they wished they were.
post #1618 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Snarky people are almost aways stupid or not nearly as smart as they wished they were.

This would be a lot more damaging to me if you didn't have to start a thread to ask advice on how to be yourself.
post #1619 of 2411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

This is important. The problem with foo is that he resists all accusations that out him for what he is, which is plastic and insecure. He dances around this plasticity under the guise of aesthetic taste or "modernism" or other bullshit that justifies his selections, which would otherwise be perfectly acceptable if there was merely the explicit honesty or implicit smirk that he's just trying to jam as much as impressively expensive shit into his cubicle of a living room as he can. If foo were a convincing aesthete of a particular persuasion, this thread wouldn't exist, as the absence of Labelking's interior thread gives proof to. Labelking wakes up in the morning knowing he's a certifiable character, but he owns that character autonomously without ever giving indication he gives a shit what you think of the character he plays. Foo is desperate for people to validate himself, which is unfortunate, because he's not interesting.

I have received about a thousand suggestions in this thread (and that is a low estimate). How many did I follow? If I was seeking approval, why wouldn't I follow consensus? Again and again, you demonstrate yourself to lack even average reasoning skills. Thus, I can't see how you could reach even mediocrity in your supposed profession.

As for LabelKing--I don't know what makes him an aesthete, but I know that he is because he posts on this forum, and has showed pictures of himself many, many times. You decided for yourself that I am a desperate approval-seeker based on the criteria I that post here to solicit discussion. However, that is the only reason anyone ever posts anything on a discussion forum. The deciding factor is not whether one posts or shares personal photos, but why they do it, and what they seek to gain. Loathing had it right about me. And we don't even like each other. I like to think about the things I do and enjoy. Thinking about them, toiling over them in my mind, is enjoyable to me. I also think it improves my taste (and is the only way for anyone to improve their taste). Taking in counterarguments and new perspectives can on some occasions (though few) give me a new idea, but always allows me to test my own thoughts. My benefit comes from the intellectual engagement, regardless of whether there is agreement. That's why I find your posts so unrewarding. You post pictures of things I might like, but you never give me anything to think about, anything that challenges. It's partially because you're an asshole who prefers to attack people rather than ideas, but it is mostly because you are simply incapable of the latter.
post #1620 of 2411
If you weren't seeking approval with your shit, and weren't soliciting advice, why start this thread? Logic would indicate you started this thread to do something you couldn't do by yourself. Surely it's not to allow other people to disagree just so you could tell them they were wrong. That would be pathetic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Apartment foo-nishing