or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Apartment foo-nishing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apartment foo-nishing - Page 100

post #1486 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post

Or venting his bitterness toward other's wealth or good fortune?

This is too great to ignore. You rent a one bedroom apartment for fuck's sake. What makes you think envy rolls of my lips for that, especially as it's apparent there are numerous folks far wealthier around here I don't roll my eyes at? You're barking up the wrong tree if you think any sort of personal insult about whatever "success" or wealth I don't have makes me feel less satisfaction in going about my life in my own manner without much concern for the validation one can apparently feel for having wealth and "success." I judge my life's success in more valuable ways. I'd be way more insulted if you claimed I was uncharitable.
post #1487 of 2411
You need some orange and brown in that room. I'd also recommend a glass top for the coffee table.
post #1488 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

I don't furnish my home with possessions for the sake of decoration. I buy things I feel a connection to, and they reside in my home with me. I have zero trinkets of the sort you'd put in your living room, because I don't give a shit about decor.

So you endorse Foo's money cat too, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

I'd be way more insulted if you claimed I was uncharitable.

I know what you are getting at but the way you put it is pretty funny, given the context of this thread.

Definition of UNCHARITABLE
: lacking in charity : severe in judging : harsh
post #1489 of 2411
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHero View Post

This is too great to ignore. You rent a one bedroom apartment for fuck's sake. What makes you think envy rolls of my lips for that, especially as it's apparent there are numerous folks far wealthier around here I don't roll my eyes at? You're barking up the wrong tree if you think any sort of personal insult about whatever "success" or wealth I don't have makes me feel less satisfaction in going about my life in my own manner without much concern for the validation one can apparently feel for having wealth and "success." I judge my life's success in more valuable ways. I'd be way more insulted if you claimed I was uncharitable.

You'd like others to think you don't care for money, but it is quite clear you are fixated on it: chiefly, in terms of how much others have to spend.

As for the "connection" bullshit you keep harping about: the degree to which anyone conflates it with sentimentality stems from the effort required to parse why your "connections" are any more legitimate than those you condemn as not being "connections" at all. You say that you only buy things you have "connections" with, in that you truly "like" them, yet you arbitrarily assume that others aren't doing exactly the same thing.

Your self-contradiction and inconsistency is patently obvious based on the interiors you admire. Somehow, in those cases, carefully laid-out coffee table books on modern/contemporary furniture constitute "honest living" and reflect what the anonymous owner must have a "connection" with.

No doubt you will attempt to steamroll over any rational debate with some childish burst of attitude that you hope others will mistake for bravado.
post #1490 of 2411
You're just bitter because of my wealth.
post #1491 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post

So you endorse Foo's money cat, too, then.

I don't endorse cats. I don't care. If foo wants his cat, I endorse it. Because it's not mine. When people own that type of shit, and I post of photo of an interior with that shit in them, it's because I can say with relative confidence those things mean something to them, and that they didn't start a thread on Style Forum to seek others' approval before they decided to put it on their mantle, which is something I'd be happy to ridicule them for if I knew that's what motivated them to do it, because it undermines the noble goal of acquiring things of importance. Apparently, foo can't figure that out.
post #1492 of 2411

I'd like to know how SH knows that the books, supposedly decorative, aren't actually being read?

post #1493 of 2411
Has anyone ever read a coffeetable book?
post #1494 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

I'd like to know how SH knows that the books, supposedly decorative, aren't actually being read?

I don't, but when foo places four stupid fucking books on his coffee table within an hour of acquiring the table (which he might return!), it's safe to assume foo isn't reading the fucking things, and they're merely there for decoration. Obviously I'll never know that foo didn't read four 1,000 page books on the first day of his coffee table's life in his home, but the impulse to place a stupid fucking book on a table while knowing that I won't read it is simply an impulse I hope to never have, because it's vain and bullshit.
Edited by StephenHero - 8/29/13 at 1:16pm
post #1495 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian View Post

Has anyone ever read a coffeetable book?
there's a really great one called "Century" or "Images of the Century" and has photos, some journalism, some snapshots, etc. Of all sorts of things that happened in almost every year of the 20th Century around the world. I look at it a lot, though we don't have a coffee table.It is coffee table size.
post #1496 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

there's a really great one called "Century" or "Images of the Century" and has photos, some journalism, some snapshots, etc. Of all sorts of things that happened in almost every year of the 20th Century around the world. I look at it a lot, though we don't have a coffee table.It is coffee table size.

It was edited in more than one size unless I'm mistaking it for another book, I think I have the ultimate portable size, it looks like a cube.

Ya I understand that YOURS is coffee table size.
post #1497 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

It was edited in more than one size unless I'm mistaking it for another book, I think I have the ultimate portable size, it looks like a cube.

Ya I understand that YOURS is coffee table size.
if you recall a back man hanging from a tree in front of some grinning klansmen and a burned body in (I think Cambodia), that is the one. Those are hard to forget images.
post #1498 of 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

if you recall a back man hanging from a tree in front of some grinning klansmen and a burned body in (I think Cambodia), that is the one. Those are hard to forget images.

That would be this book:
http://uk.phaidon.com/store/general-non-fiction/century-9780714842790/
post #1499 of 2411
post #1500 of 2411
I actually like the rug, though it veers dangerously close to cozy, which as I understand it is a major no-no in the foo-losophy. I agree that I don't love the coffee table in that setup, with the veiny marble and the shaggy rug it starts to look a little period to me, but understanding that foo likes the different creams and whites and that's what he's going for, I don't have a problem with it. I also think the aeriums or whatever are a little kitschy but it's his life and his space, so hey, it doesn't bother me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Apartment foo-nishing