I speak 5 languages and one dialect.
in order of usefulness in my business life they are
* English, German, German Swiss dialect, French, Spanish, Italian
In order of usefulness in my private lifestyle they are
* English, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Swiss German
In order of what I like best they are
* Italian, Spanish, French, English, German, Swiss German
- I speak Italian and Spanish because I love them
- I speak English for business and neutral communication needs
- I speak German and Swiss German because my geographical location and business needs require it
- I speak French because my geographical location and business needs required it
German is a very useful language for business in Central and Eastern Europe... useless otherwise.
You get to like more and more German when you manage to learn and understand it.
It is very frustrating in the beginning and the sonority is not so pleasant and musical so I kind of disliked it at the beginning, then I came to appreciate it more and more and start to like its understated elegance and perfect logic.
But most important is.
Any new language you learn, opens you windows and doors to other cultures, other paradigms and other life sytles.
Those you get to know and appreciate better when you understand the language. translations show only an unidimensional view, but you have to live in the place, inmerse yourself in the culture to really learn and appreciate it...
By the way... it is not wasted time... The german girls are cute
I am now in a slow ( because I don't put so much time into it ) learning of Czech, Slovak and Russian... I know the basics and can travel and understand the minimun to not get lost... but I can't say I speak them yet.