• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since on SF, one of our acknowledged imperatives is to own and wear clothing that fits, I would like members to post brands which make slim fit shirts and to give their description and impressions of the shirts. The priority is regarding fit and slimness, not regarding quality and workmanship, in this thread, while appreciated, they second.

This particular thread came about over a discussion I was having with my tailor the other day as she pinned an old T&A-made RLPL shirt I own that fell out of rotation. We were discussing, that even in Italy nowadays the shirts are too bulbous for the average Italian! They fit him like tents, and even though, on average he is taller than he was say, 50 years ago, but the growth has hardly warranted the shirts to be manufactured for people who are 6 feet tall.

I want to facilitate the search of one of the hardest items to not only fit into, but to find as well, for the shirting search is a constant topic on SF. It is part of the primary triumvirate on SF: shirts, shoes, and suits (um, ok, pants and jackets...).

Jon.

rogerm

Reaction score
The shirts I'm always searching for are Polo "Custom Fit" shirts. For me, they fit better than some MTM shirts. However they are very hard to come by. I can never find them at the Polo store and the 1-2 shirts they have on Polo.com are usually atrocious. There are plenty of tent-like "classic fit" shirts available.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter Elliot used a brand called Sanfort, an Italian maker, that produces slim fit shirts. On sale, they are quite the steal.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One trick I read about elsewhere in the forum is to buy 1 size down, thus if you are a small, you need to buy an extra small. The problem is finding extra smalls. I know GAP makes extra smalls, but the neck is usually 13-13.5 in size, so you can wear the shirt, but you will be unable to button the collar up. The shirt will be strictly an open-collar shirt.

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The other problem with that is that most of us slim people don't have super slim shoulders, so a smaller size shirt will just not fit in the shoulders.

It would definitely be nice to condense all the slim fit shirt threads together somehow.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, but luckily (or not as the overall case may be) for us, the proper placement of the shoulder has moved from its original and correct starting position of almost the end of the clavicle to dropping past the clavicle. So, if you purchase a slim fit shirt, the shirt should fit your shoulders the correct way if the shirt has been cut using the modern style. As long as the sleeves are long enough, you are good to go.

Jon.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Polo custom fit is one of the better conservative brands that I think are actually "slimfit", altho I still have to size down a half in the neck for the fit I want in the body. But not bad at all. Most "slimfit/tailored fit/etc" shirts I find arent slim at all around the waist. (Jcrew, Brooks, Banana etc)

All the best fitting slimfit shirts I own or tried on are from labels 96% of this forum wouldnt be interested in, but they fit f'ing great from shoulder to waist.

-Band of Outsiders
-Thom Browne
-Paul Smith (PS and mainline)
-Duncan Quinn
-agnes b 'corps d'etroit' line

Fritz

Reaction score
I have a Baldessarini "shaped fit" shirt that is indeed true to its name. It fits me similar to a Polo custom fit, just with better cloth/construction.

tbone226

Reaction score
I find that the Dolce & Gabanna (mainline) shirts that are darted have a trim fit. Some of the Gucci offerings are slim as well...

csgrad

Reaction score
My measurements:
41 inch chest
28 inch waist

Shirts that fit well:
Pre-Darted Prada mainline sz 15
Pre-Darted Gucci mainline sz 15
Pre-Darted Paul Smith mainline sz M
Pre-Darted Duncan Quinn sz 14.5
Hickey sz S after darts

My favorite fit is probably the Gucci and Hickey. Hickey doesn't fit my neck that well though, while Gucci fits my neck better. Both give a incredible \\ / shape though, well the others give a more of a | | shape.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Though I realize that bringing up the subject of Carlo Franco shirts is likely to be touchy, it was certainly my experience that the first generation shirts was definitely what I call slim. Not sure what the status of their shirtmaking operation is these days, however.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Udeshi
Barba

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Though I realize that bringing up the subject of Carlo Franco shirts is likely to be touchy, it was certainly my experience that the first generation shirts was definitely what I call slim. Not sure what the status of their shirtmaking operation is these days, however.

Touchy? That's an understatement.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics