or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 59

post #871 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by atroopan View Post
Just another Hell yeah for the TM Levin Slim fits - I went with windsor 15.5, but duke of york looks pretty good too. Fit just a tad, not noticable, looser than my Zara's 15 so I'm not changing a thing.
I missed the big sale, but still manged to get 4 for 100 lbs. I did blow some more on matching ties and a couple cufflinks too though, but still I thought it was quite the value. Hope they don't skrink much.

I have about 3-4 TML shirts and they did not shrink, but I normally dry shirts for only 10 minutes on low heat and then hang them up. Exposing shirts to high heat usually ruins the fabric, not on TML but in general.
post #872 of 2402
Are the lands ends tailored fit shirts slimmer than BB slim fits? Thanks for any insight.
post #873 of 2402
The problem with OTR shirts is that they automatically assume that if you are 15 or 15.5 you are a Medium, and 16 or 16.5 you are a Large. I like my shirts with 16" collars for comfort - I can do 15.5, but it irritates my throat, but I am clearly in the Medium - Long territory otherwise.

Case in point: I tried TM Lewin. Got the 16, and am SWIMMING in it. The measurements are as follows:

Shoulders: 20
Chest: 24
Wast: 20.5
Sleeves: 26 (I ordered a 36)

I would LOVE for this to have worked out, but the shoulders / chest fit is an issue. Can someone with a 15 or a 15.5 post the measurements to compare to the 16?
post #874 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
I have about 3-4 TML shirts and they did not shrink, but I normally dry shirts for only 10 minutes on low heat and then hang them up. Exposing shirts to high heat usually ruins the fabric, not on TML but in general.

Yeah - I don't dry shirts at all myself. Just wash them in washer, then iron pretty much after spin dry. It just means you have to coordinate your off-time on the wash to being able to iron. Gets a little odd when you say you can't go out - you have to wait for your shirts to be washed so you can iron them straight away. W/e - I must have got a compliment from every single colleague on my spiffy TM Levin purple shirt and tie combo today. Will be getting some more outrageous colours from them soon enough I think.
post #875 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitedge View Post
LL Bean trim fit shirts. Anyone know if these are worth looking into if you're into slimmy fits, or is trim fit another way of saying not as baggy?

I would also be curious to know how the "trim" fit LL Bean oxfords fit. I'm not expecting them to be BoO or anything, but if they're reasonably fitted in the chest and shoulders I'd definitely be interested...
post #876 of 2402
. . .
post #877 of 2402
...
post #878 of 2402
Gentlemen: My slim fit shirt quest is over. I decided to just pony up for more custom shirts. Everything else is just a pale imitation. Tom James has some now for $109, which is pretty good for a custom shirt.
post #879 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Your shoulder comment is a good thought, but I've never seen an off the rack shirt with 15 inch neck and 14" yoke either... Even 16" shoulders would be pretty out of the ordinary...

And - yes - generally speaking, in off the rack slim fit dress shirts, the taper between chest and midsection (when measuring the shirt laid flat) will be around 2" tops. You can specify a 3.75" taper with Proper Cloth - but that is as far as we go too. Usually a slim fit shirt is slim in the chest as well though - so a really dramatic taper is not necessary.

Where is this chart that you speak of?
post #880 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by atroopan View Post
Just another Hell yeah for the TM Levin Slim fits - I went with windsor 15.5, but duke of york looks pretty good too. Fit just a tad, not noticable, looser than my Zara's 15 so I'm not changing a thing.
I missed the big sale, but still manged to get 4 for 100 lbs. I did blow some more on matching ties and a couple cufflinks too though, but still I thought it was quite the value. Hope they don't skrink much.

Is there a way I can pursuade you to take measurements of your 15.5? I want to see what the difference between it and the 16 is.
post #881 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaz View Post
The problem with OTR shirts is that they automatically assume that if you are 15 or 15.5 you are a Medium, and 16 or 16.5 you are a Large. I like my shirts with 16" collars for comfort - I can do 15.5, but it irritates my throat, but I am clearly in the Medium - Long territory otherwise.

Case in point: I tried TM Lewin. Got the 16, and am SWIMMING in it. The measurements are as follows:

Shoulders: 20
Chest: 24
Wast: 20.5
Sleeves: 26 (I ordered a 36)

I would LOVE for this to have worked out, but the shoulders / chest fit is an issue. Can someone with a 15 or a 15.5 post the measurements to compare to the 16?

Size 15,5:

Milan: chest 46.5 waist 40
Standard slim fit: chest 46.5 waist 39

These numbers have been given to me by TM Lewin. Divide by 2 to compare with your numbers.
I like the fit of CT slim fit which runs slightly bigger in the waist and smaller in the chest. So its less \\ /. Chest fit is perfect for me at 45.0 and waist is 41.50. Though the waist can be even a bit smaller for me, but not really necessary. I think I will soon pull the trigger on some lewins, as I think I will not be far off with those measurements .
post #882 of 2402
The lewin slim fit, based on the above measurements, seems very big. I can only imagine what a size 17 would fit.

It appears there is no real consensus on this forum as to how slim fitting these are. Some have said that they are tent-like while others say they are fit slim soccer players or trim athletes well.

Is there any chance someone with a size 16.5 or 17 can post the body measurements of the shirts?
post #883 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb124 View Post
Are the lands ends tailored fit shirts slimmer than BB slim fits? Thanks for any insight.

^^ interested in the answer as well.
post #884 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb124 View Post
Are the lands ends tailored fit shirts slimmer than BB slim fits? Thanks for any insight.

Ok well I will answer my own question, because I ordered a LE tailored fit OCBD just to try and received it today. The answer is they are most definitely slimmer than BB shirts. They honestly fit pretty slim when compared with other "slim fits" i've tried. This being said im not a pencil thin like some people on this board (5'10" 175 Athletic) but I swim in the BB slim shirts. I would say the LE shirts run a little big size wise and the sleeves are a little blousy for my taste but the body is much better than expected. I ordered 16x35 and unfortunately it needs to be returned because the sleeves are to long, in CT slim i wear 16.5 x 35 and those fit me well. If anyone wants me to measure it I will, let me know. Hope this helps.
post #885 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
The lewin slim fit, based on the above measurements, seems very big. I can only imagine what a size 17 would fit.

It appears there is no real consensus on this forum as to how slim fitting these are. Some have said that they are tent-like while others say they are fit slim soccer players or trim athletes well.

Is there any chance someone with a size 16.5 or 17 can post the body measurements of the shirts?


There is no concensus because we all have differing opinions of what is slim. To me slim is not tent like with some suppression at the sides and shorter higher armholes. To some people slim is form fitting like the shirt was molded to your body.

I don't find the TM Lewin slim fitting shirts super slim but they are not tent like either. I am a typical 16.25in neck and ordered a 16.5in slim fit shirt and it fits good. Not form fitting though.

Just got 3 more shirts from TM today, they are doing the 3 for 75pounds and this weekend doing another 10% off of that. Had to get their semi slim tuxedo shirt. There's no way I'm going to beat $30 for a decent quality slim marcella tuxedo shirt.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts