or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 40

post #586 of 2402
agreed unicorn..while the modern amusement stuff can be cool, the quality is definitely not there. just dont wash it that often and youll be fine!
post #587 of 2402
I just got an A Basile shirt from another forum member and the fit is almost perfectly slim. Not skintight, but definitely very fitted. Unfortunately, the 15.5 is closer to a 16 in the neck, but it fits perfectly everywhere else! Does anyone know if a tailor can take in the neck of a shirt by say 1/2"?
post #588 of 2402
Holy snap I found the ultimate slim-fit shirt (for me at least).
They are slim-fit Angelo Litrico shirts from C&A.
These fit me like a glove!! Slimmer than H&M slim fit!
For those that do not know C&A, it's a cheap chain in Europe, cheaper than H&M if you can believe it.
They sell them for 15 eur a pop. These are definitely throw away shirts, but at 15 euros a pop, these no-iron 100% cotton dress shirts are great!

http://www.cunda.de/?mlid=550.14.27509.f8c6c621815c2a18ba2ebe3a5e0f7441.mp_refinedlabs..0&partnerid=mp_refinedlabs#level1='Men'&level3='Kollektion'&level4='Hemden'&productId='3514'&productColor='1'
post #589 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by tz0d View Post
Hey all,
I tend to lurk and rarely post but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a shirt.

I'm trying to find a "micro collar" shirt in black. Very slim fit. Along the lines of a ben sherman soho fit (I take a small in those). I've found a few shirts, but they're western styled which I tend to not like so much. Any help would be appreciated!


Why don't you have one tailor-made? It shouldn't cost any more than one from a designer. You can have it made your way.
post #590 of 2402
I actually like the fit of BCBG...and at around 60$ at Macy's, it works for us boys on a budget.
post #591 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
Why don't you have one tailor-made? It shouldn't cost any more than one from a designer. You can have it made your way.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "micro", you mean like really short?
Not sure if this will fit your bill... I believe that D&G has narrow/short collared shirts in black and they tend to run slim. There are several lines, I believe Martini is their slimmist? They ain't cheap but might work. H&M also does a short collar and short cuff version (this season) in their black label. unfortunately no online store to see though...
post #592 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpatrick77 View Post
I actually like the fit of BCBG...and at around 60$ at Macy's, it works for us boys on a budget.

BCBG's attitude (men's line) is pretty alright, but honestly as a slim fit, it's still a little large. I had to have it tailored to fit my body well. Still they're not too bad.
post #593 of 2402
i think one thing we can all learn from this thread is that the only way to guarantee a slim fit shirt fits just the way you want is to go the MTM route. otherwise, its every man/brand for himself!
post #594 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
I have been wearing Hugo Boss slimfits and while they fit me quite well, at their regular price (US $150), I am contemplating getting bespoke or MTM ones instead. Do you guys think bespoke or MTM shirts will be significantly better than Hugo Boss, for example, in terms of fit and durability?
Absolutely, you could benefit from a made to measure shirt. I'm curious - when you say Hugo Boss fits you well - can you wear a tie with that? Often our customers are able to find an off the rack shirt that fits pretty good all around, but the collar is too loose or too tight. Even a 1/2 inch in the collar can make a difference in comfort and presentation, and it takes some luck to be that precise in off the rack. The other thing to consider - is how well you are being served by the style of Hugo Boss? A lot of these off the rack shirts focus on being very trendy (welcome to the fashion world) when your actual environment requires something more classic. There's a million other reasons to check out custom made shirts, and at the price point you're talking ($120), you will have a lot of options. If you look into it, remember that not all M2M options are created equal. Some asian tailors will quote you a low price, but the craftmanship will be lacking. Some of the larger brands call their shirts M2M, but really they only let you choose collar circumference, sleeve length and either slim or regular fit.
post #595 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Absolutely, you could benefit from a made to measure shirt.

I'm curious - when you say Hugo Boss fits you well - can you wear a tie with that? Often our customers are able to find an off the rack shirt that fits pretty good all around, but the collar is too loose or too tight. Even a 1/2 inch in the collar can make a difference in comfort and presentation, and it takes some luck to be that precise in off the rack.

The other thing to consider - is how well you are being served by the style of Hugo Boss? A lot of these off the rack shirts focus on being very trendy (welcome to the fashion world) when your actual environment requires something more classic.

There's a million other reasons to check out custom made shirts, and at the price point you're talking ($120), you will have a lot of options. If you look into it, remember that not all M2M options are created equal. Some asian tailors will quote you a low price, but the craftmanship will be lacking. Some of the larger brands call their shirts M2M, but really they only let you choose collar circumference, sleeve length and either slim or regular fit.

Yes, it's hard to wear a tie with Boss shirts - their collars are not too stiff and become quite soft after 3-4 washes. Yes, most of their shirts are too trendy - unless you buy black or grey! I won't go into how many trendy and black/grey items I have in my closet!!!

I have ordered an MTM shirt and will let you all know how it goes. It should be here in 10 days.
post #596 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Some of the larger brands call their shirts M2M, but really they only let you choose collar circumference, sleeve length and either slim or regular fit.

What other aspects should one be able to choose (collar style being one)?
post #597 of 2402
Cuff style, sleeve length, body fit, embroidered initials, etc. it really depends on the maker...some offer 'true' made to measures while others offer 'stock single' programs, which make the process simpler. One stock single program ive been hearing rave reviews about is the Lipson Elite program; its a stock single program that apparently offers a bunch of swatches (+130) and lots of options for decent prices.
post #598 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbilly View Post
Cuff style, sleeve length, body fit, embroidered initials, etc. it really depends on the maker...some offer 'true' made to measures while others offer 'stock single' programs, which make the process simpler. One stock single program ive been hearing rave reviews about is the Lipson Elite program; its a stock single program that apparently offers a bunch of swatches (+130) and lots of options for decent prices.

Yes, I was able to choose cuff style, sleeve length, collar style, body fit, monogram, yoke/no-yoke at back, dart/no-dart, front pocket/no-pocket and how the front buttons should be (covered by a flap, be on a flap, or be directly on the shirt itself).
post #599 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
Yes, I was able to choose cuff style, sleeve length, collar style, body fit, monogram, yoke/no-yoke at back, dart/no-dart, front pocket/no-pocket and how the front buttons should be (covered by a flap, be on a flap, or be directly on the shirt itself).
Different MTM shops give you different flexibility in designing the style of the shirt and this is a matter of taste and particularness really. If you know exactly how many radians you'd like your collar to be spread or are certain that you want rear side pleats as opposed to no rear pleats, or a back pleat, there are MTM shops that will give you this flexibility. What's a bit more complicated is the fit though, and that's what I was getting at before. For example, on Brooks Brothers website, you can order a MTM shirt, but in terms of fit, you're only specifying the collar, sleeve and type of fit. This works good for some people, but particularly if you are a slim guy, the shirt will still be way too loose for you when you get it. Proper Cloth has one of the most advanced MTM systems around, giving customers considerable flexibility to ensure a shirt fits the way they want. It's not true bespoke, but the effect is similar because you can match the shirts, sleeves, shoulders, chest, waist, bicep, length, collar circumference, cuff circumference, and more to your body with quite a bit of flexibility. You can also get a MTM shirt made in most department stores - but be sure to ask if they are just matching the shirt to your sleeve length and collar circumference. If that's the case, your shirt might not fit any better than something you could buy off the rack.
post #600 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Different MTM shops give you different flexibility in designing the style of the shirt and this is a matter of taste and particularness really. If you know exactly how many radians you'd like your collar to be spread or are certain that you want rear side pleats as opposed to no rear pleats, or a back pleat, there are MTM shops that will give you this flexibility.

What's a bit more complicated is the fit though, and that's what I was getting at before. For example, on Brooks Brothers website, you can order a MTM shirt, but in terms of fit, you're only specifying the collar, sleeve and type of fit. This works good for some people, but particularly if you are a slim guy, the shirt will still be way too loose for you when you get it.

Proper Cloth has one of the most advanced MTM systems around, giving customers considerable flexibility to ensure a shirt fits the way they want. It's not true bespoke, but the effect is similar because you can match the shirts, sleeves, shoulders, chest, waist, bicep, length, collar circumference, cuff circumference, and more to your body with quite a bit of flexibility.

You can also get a MTM shirt made in most department stores - but be sure to ask if they are just matching the shirt to your sleeve length and collar circumference. If that's the case, your shirt might not fit any better than something you could buy off the rack.


Thanks for your detailed info. I am coming from trendy-wear and am learning the art of fine dressing and styling. I ordered my MTM shirt through an actual tailor. I have found department store staff not to be that knowledgeable, but I guess that depends on the store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts