or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 153

post #2281 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwendland View Post

I'm sure this question has already been answered, but can someone please enlighten me as to the differences between the J Crew slim- and standard-fit shirts?  I've already read through four pages of this thread and don't feel like reading more.

Apparently if you email J Crew customer support, they will give you exact measurements for any piece you want. Never tried it, but that's what I've heard.
post #2282 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversification View Post


Apparently if you email J Crew customer support, they will give you exact measurements for any piece you want. Never tried it, but that's what I've heard.

Thanks, I'll just stick to sizing down in the standard fits.

post #2283 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwendland View Post

Thanks, I'll just stick to sizing down in the standard fits.

I don't have precise measurements but I've tried their

Regular S

Slim M

Regular M

 

I wear a 15.5/34 normally and of those three, the Slim M was the best fit, overall. The Regular S came up too short in the sleeves and the Regular M was too full. I didn't think the Slim M was perfect - I'd still need to take it into my tailor to fully fit it right - but for OTR, it wasn't that bad at all. Much better than Lands End's "tailored fit" shirts, for example but I don't think the fit with J.Crew's slim mediums is as good as my experience with CT's extra slim. 

post #2284 of 2402
Just picked up a BB slim fit and it fits like crap. Picked it up bc it was on sale. I made another thread with pics in it btw.

Anyways, can someone recommend OTR atheltic fit that actually work or should I just go MTM?

I am about 5'11 - 175 to 180 - chest 41-42, waist 32-33, neck size ranges between 15.5 and 16, sleeves are like 33.5.

It is such a royal pain when looking for a new shirt. In the past, I just had them tailored and darted - doesn't look great but it is what it is.
post #2285 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

Just picked up a BB slim fit and it fits like crap. Picked it up bc it was on sale. I made another thread with pics in it btw.

Anyways, can someone recommend OTR atheltic fit that actually work or should I just go MTM?

I am about 5'11 - 175 to 180 - chest 41-42, waist 32-33, neck size ranges between 15.5 and 16, sleeves are like 33.5.

It is such a royal pain when looking for a new shirt. In the past, I just had them tailored and darted - doesn't look great but it is what it is.

 

I just got in several BB extra-slim fits and found them to be decent as far as slim fits go. Not quite as good as CT's extra slims but it's in the right direction, possibly on par with PRL's custom fit shirts. In both the latter cases, a little tailoring helps to clean things up, especially with the arms, but it's not necessary. The tailoring is usually just a matter of taking things in on the sides rather than darts but either way, not a ton of work is necessary. 

FWIW, I typically wear a similar neck/sleeve (15.5/34) but I'm 6', 150 with a 37-38 chest. 

post #2286 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by odub View Post

I just got in several BB extra-slim fits and found them to be decent as far as slim fits go. Not quite as good as CT's extra slims but it's in the right direction, possibly on par with PRL's custom fit shirts. In both the latter cases, a little tailoring helps to clean things up, especially with the arms, but it's not necessary. The tailoring is usually just a matter of taking things in on the sides rather than darts but either way, not a ton of work is necessary. 


FWIW, I typically wear a similar neck/sleeve (15.5/34) but I'm 6', 150 with a 37-38 chest. 

in regards to CT shirts, I've heard they really shrink a lot. I'm a 16.5 36 in BB ESF. I think I might grab a few CT extra slim shirts in a 17 37
post #2287 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitswes View Post


in regards to CT shirts, I've heard they really shrink a lot. I'm a 16.5 36 in BB ESF. I think I might grab a few CT extra slim shirts in a 17 37

 

That hasn't been my experience but I've yet to buy a shirt from them that fit snug right out of the box so it may be that I had more excess room to work with if shrinkage did occur after the first few washes. In general, their extra-slims are the only OTR I've found thus far that don't require additional tailoring for my particular fit but that's likely just a lucky coincidence. 

post #2288 of 2402
Have you tried RLBL?
post #2289 of 2402

Can somebody recommend a shirt for my measurements: 15 neck, 36 chest, 33 sleeve

 

I want something that does not wrinkle on the elbow pit (my uniqlos shirts do this). Im looking to spend no more than $40.

post #2290 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

Im looking to spend no more than $40.

 

Well, that really limits your options, doesn't it?  I don't know, Express? Your chest, neck, and arm measurements alone are not sufficient to guarantee that you won't experience wrinkling in the elbow pit.  I'm not even sure that any shirts exist which do not wrinkle in the elbow pit...

post #2291 of 2402
After wasting time and money on tailors and shirts that don't look good even after being tailored, I am gonna take the plunge and go MTM, probably proper cloth. Will keep you guys posted on the results.
post #2292 of 2402

It was a "plunge" 15 years ago, not any more. You should have no problem finding custom shirts for the same or less than a medium range ready to wear. The only caveat is that the better ones really give much better pricing when you order 6-10 at a time.
 

post #2293 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushburner View Post

Can somebody recommend a shirt for my measurements: 15 neck, 36 chest, 33 sleeve

I want something that does not wrinkle on the elbow pit (my uniqlos shirts do this). Im looking to spend no more than $40.

It probably would be best to first figure out why the shirts are wrinkling there, such as by posting pictures.

Anyway, for low-priced 15/33 shirts that might fit better (and are higher quality), behold...
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/
post #2294 of 2402
People looking for slim fit shirts should try Kamakura. They have a store in NY and a limited, but growing, selection on-line. Prices are almost ridiculously cheap ($79) with free shipping on orders over $150. The Tokyo slim fits me perfectly, which is not easy among the parachute sized shirts on sale in most places. I'm 5'11, 140 lbs, and wear a 36R. The 15, 33-1/3 is perfect for me bc my arms are a bit long and my neck size is small. The quality of the cotton is solid for the price, and the styles are simple and great for everyday wear (spread collar, cutaway, OCBD). They are now my go-to RTW shirtmaker.
post #2295 of 2402

These actually look pretty good. Will definitely check them out next time I'm in NY.

 

It says on the website that "*To compensate possible shrinkage, the actual size is bigger than the size on the label." What has your experience been with this?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw90240 View Post

People looking for slim fit shirts should try Kamakura. They have a store in NY and a limited, but growing, selection on-line. Prices are almost ridiculously cheap ($79) with free shipping on orders over $150. The Tokyo slim fits me perfectly, which is not easy among the parachute sized shirts on sale in most places. I'm 5'11, 140 lbs, and wear a 36R. The 15, 33-1/3 is perfect for me bc my arms are a bit long and my neck size is small. The quality of the cotton is solid for the price, and the styles are simple and great for everyday wear (spread collar, cutaway, OCBD). They are now my go-to RTW shirtmaker.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts