or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 145

post #2161 of 2402

I have found that the Naked and Famous Denim slimshirts provide a very nice fit. I bought the size small. They taper nicely through the waist and have a slim arm. The cotton ranges from 8oz - 10oz.

 

For your reference my measurements are listed below:

 

Height - 5'8

Chest - 33.5''

Waist - 29.25

Neck - 14

Shoulder to Shoulder - 18''

post #2162 of 2402

I'm currently looking into buying a SuitSupply suit and while browsing their website noticed they sell dress shirts as well. The company is known for their very slim fitting suits and are based out of Europe so I'm assuming their dress shirts would be very trim fitting as well. Has anyone tried their shirts yet? I'd love to know how they fit before ordering one offline.

post #2163 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

Also make sure you use a decent tailor. I am not sure if this is standard practice or not, but when my tailor took them in, he took it in all the way down to the sleeve cuff to avoid having the shirt look "off."

 

I assume you're saying that the tailor took in the chest/body at the sides and also narrowed the arms proportionally to avoid having a slim body with overly thick arms.  Is that accurate?  That certainly sounds like an expensive operation (perhaps prohibitively so).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast View Post

I have tried Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit shirts and for the price I'm happy with the quality but they are too baggy in the waist. I am thinking of having a tailor slim the shirts down.
I am wondering for future orders (made with the intent of having the shirt slimmed down by a tailor) should I order the slim fit or the tailored fit? I asked because the tailored fit has back darts where I understand the slim fit does not. Would the lack of darts be more conducive to adjustment?
Thanks.

 

I have a couple 16.5 / 36 Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit shirts and I have the same issue: still too baggy through the chest and definitely too baggy through the waist.  The arms could be a bit slimmer and the wrists could be looser (they're really quite tight, and I have thin wrists).  I also have a few 16.5 / 36 TM Lewin Fully Fitted shirts.  They seem to be slimmer through the chest, waist and arms, but the wrists could be a bit more narrow (weird, right?)  The TM Lewin Fully Fitted shirts don't have any darts.  The fabric is relatively similar (I may actually favor the Lewins slightly).  Other than that, there aren't a whole lot of differences that stand out to me.  [lazy]If you're curious about my measurements, take a quick look at my profile.[/lazy]

post #2164 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversification View Post

 

I assume you're saying that the tailor took in the chest/body at the sides and also narrowed the arms proportionally to avoid having a slim body with overly thick arms.  Is that accurate?  That certainly sounds like an expensive operation (perhaps prohibitively so).

 

Yes, that is correct. It was $22 per shirt. However, I gave him about 10 shirts to do, and they were all the same size/make of shirt, so maybe that simplified things a little for him.

post #2165 of 2402

I've heard good things about Arden Reed's button downs. it takes a bit longer to receive your shirt but is bespoke nonetheless. I haven't tried them yet, as I am able to buy off the rack but have many friends who need to go the mtm route because of having larger frames, or severe drops. At the price point, it seems cheaper ($97-117) than an off the rack Boss or similar and will fit like a glove out of the box. Anyone have any experience with them or similar mtm e-tailers?

 
 
post #2166 of 2402
H&M changed their easy iron shirts, the ones that always sell for $14.xx.

They are just as slim, The neck is wider, and they are noticeably longer. That was the worst part about them before, they were so short they would pull up at the sides easily once tucked in.
post #2167 of 2402
Interesting. Did they make the sleeves longer too?
post #2168 of 2402
I am 5' 11" with a 37" chest, 32" natural waist and 33" trouser-sitting waistline. I find the Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit, to be the best thing I have come across yet, but, like others have said, they could be a tad slimmer, even! Also, with CT shirts, the collars always bend; it's really annoying! I would try TM Lewin, but they do not do a 15" neck with a 35" sleeve--fucking annoying!!
post #2169 of 2402
Is there a consensus whether or not slim guys should wear waisted or straight cut shirts?
In the past I have had my MTM shirts made waisted but I am not sure anymore if that cut does me a favour because I feel it emphasises my hips.
post #2170 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I am 5' 11" with a 37" chest, 32" natural waist and 33" trouser-sitting waistline. I find the Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit, to be the best thing I have come across yet, but, like others have said, they could be a tad slimmer, even! Also, with CT shirts, the collars always bend; it's really annoying! I would try TM Lewin, but they do not do a 15" neck with a 35" sleeve--fucking annoying!!

It might be worthwhile to send TM Lewin an email. There's a chance that they'll do the smaller collar for you.
post #2171 of 2402
I now work in a more formal atmosphere than my previous job, so the top button on my shirts is always buttoned, and that has created issues with many of my slim fit shirts. The only shirts that still fit around the neck are the BOSS black, and my MTM shirts (most of which were made when I was 15lbs larger than I am now). The Brooks Brothers slim fit can no longer be buttoned around the neck, unless I want a throbbing headache for the entire day.

Additionally, my weight fluctuates, depending on my diet and gym routine (bulking, cutting, etc). I've put on about 10lbs, and that has lead me to explore some cheaper, temporary options than can be used as workhorse shirts and thrown in the washing machine. Joseph A Bank just came out with slim fit shirts, and I ordered 5 online for around $46 a piece with free 2-day shipping in size 16.5 / 35. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised to see the thickness of the white shirts. I'm embarrassed to say that the quality is probably better than most of the BOSS black label shirts I own - which may or may not surprise some of you. Anyway, they actually fit me pretty well, minus the neck. I had to return them for a 17" neck. I'm hoping that the larger neck size won't make the rest of the shirt too large (something that has plagued me forever), but I am looking for something with extra room - so a bit of loose fabric might be a good thing.

I will update once I receive the larger shirts.
post #2172 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01 View Post

I am 5' 11" with a 37" chest, 32" natural waist and 33" trouser-sitting waistline. I find the Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored Fit, to be the best thing I have come across yet, but, like others have said, they could be a tad slimmer, even! Also, with CT shirts, the collars always bend; it's really annoying! I would try TM Lewin, but they do not do a 15" neck with a 35" sleeve--fucking annoying!!

Me too, I find CT tailored fit shirts to be very good and a very easy (and great value) buy.

I am 5'10 with a 38 chest and 33" measured waist. I find the 15.5" neck 33 sleeve ideal for workwear (the neck is more comfortable) - though as you say this could be slimmer. If I could be bothered with the fuss I'd have these work shirts tailored in a little at the waist and sleeve.

For smart shirts I wear without a tie though, the CT 15 neck 33" sleeve are an ideal fit (I just can't comfortably button the top button, so don't wear a tie).

If any of you want a bargain, Living Social has a discount on CT shirts and ties at the moment - you can buy a £60 voucher for £30.
Edited by TheDarkKnight - 8/27/12 at 8:14am
post #2173 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by suited View Post

I now work in a more formal atmosphere than my previous job, so the top button on my shirts is always buttoned, and that has created issues with many of my slim fit shirts. The only shirts that still fit around the neck are the BOSS black, and my MTM shirts (most of which were made when I was 15lbs larger than I am now). The Brooks Brothers slim fit can no longer be buttoned around the neck, unless I want a throbbing headache for the entire day.
Additionally, my weight fluctuates, depending on my diet and gym routine (bulking, cutting, etc). I've put on about 10lbs, and that has lead me to explore some cheaper, temporary options than can be used as workhorse shirts and thrown in the washing machine. Joseph A Bank just came out with slim fit shirts, and I ordered 5 online for around $46 a piece with free 2-day shipping in size 16.5 / 35. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised to see the thickness of the white shirts. I'm embarrassed to say that the quality is probably better than most of the BOSS black label shirts I own - which may or may not surprise some of you. Anyway, they actually fit me pretty well, minus the neck. I had to return them for a 17" neck. I'm hoping that the larger neck size won't make the rest of the shirt too large (something that has plagued me forever), but I am looking for something with extra room - so a bit of loose fabric might be a good thing.
I will update once I receive the larger shirts.

Interesting comment about the JAB white shirts.  I'd be interested in seeing which shirt you're talking about specifically if you could provide the link.  I'm always hesitant to order white shirts online because I hate the translucent look that plague so many of them.

post #2174 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversification View Post

Interesting. Did they make the sleeves longer too?

No, they are the same.
post #2175 of 2402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversification View Post

Interesting comment about the JAB white shirts.  I'd be interested in seeing which shirt you're talking about specifically if you could provide the link.  I'm always hesitant to order white shirts online because I hate the translucent look that plague so many of them.

The sales seems to have ended. I paid half price for mine, but I'd imagine, in true JAB fashion, they will be on sale again within the next couple of days.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/SubCategory_11001_10050_9301501

The shirts are new, so they aren't in stores yet (I called 5 stores near me). I'd expect them in stores within 2 weeks, though. I really dislike thin white shirts, so that is not really a concern with these. They aren't as thick as some super-heavy fabrics, but I've seen much thinner. I actually returned a BOSS black label slim fit because it showed my tattoo on my left arm - it was that thin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts