or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 105

post #1561 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
Buy a shirt that fits you in the neck and shoulders. Any decent tailor can fix the rest. Yes, they can fix one shirt at a time.

Is this true for the extra fabric under the arms? Ie. can they move up the lower part of where the arms open out?
post #1562 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCE View Post
Is this true for the extra fabric under the arms? Ie. can they move up the lower part of where the arms open out?

Definitely! Also if it is tight at the chest, they can take some material from the bottom and sew it in the underarm to make the chest bigger. They can do lots of cool things. About the only things they can't do is neck and shoulders.
post #1563 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarim View Post
Definitely! Also if it is tight at the chest, they can take some material from the bottom and sew it in the underarm to make the chest bigger. They can do lots of cool things. About the only things they can't do is neck and shoulders.

Amazing, I'll find a tailor monday. Thanks!
post #1564 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCE View Post
Amazing, I'll find a tailor monday. Thanks!

No problem. A tailor can also put different fabric on the inside of your collar and cuffs to make it a contrast shirt. They can also change a collar and cuffs completely and give you collar and cuffs of a different color so you turn a regular shirt into contrast-collar shirt. I buy regular shirts and have my tailor do these things and it turns out to be a completely different shirt. I don't recommend changing collars and cuffs of dress shirts, just casual ones. You can be quite creative with a tailor.
post #1565 of 2388
How are shirts supposed to fit exactly? Your average man doesn't have much of a drop at all from chest to waist, so shirt manufacturers don't seem to put much drop in the actual chest and waist measurements. The most I've seen is probably like 4". But what is the sartorial norm for a thin man with a relatively broad chest? I have a 38" chest and a 30" waist. I finally spent the money to get my sizing right on moderntailor.com. In the actual measurements of the shirt, it had 21 half chest, 17 half waist, and 19 half hip; and it had to accommodate my very broad shoulders. It is almost exactly what I wanted in a shirt, but I'm worried that maybe it looks like a womans shirt or just ridiculous. It in no way is skin tight, but it does more or less betray my body shape, something that shirts usually only do to fat people. Basically what I'm asking is how a shirt should fit someone with 38" chest/30" waist compared to a 38" chest/34" waist. The same; or narrower in the waist?
post #1566 of 2388
I'm considering buying a Finamore dress shirt off Ian's website. On his website, he describes the fit as either full, slim, or extra slim. How do these classifications compare to BB's? Would Finamore's slim fit be slimmer than BB's slim fit?
post #1567 of 2388
Varvatos blazer
Brioni pocket-square
Brioni shirt
Brioni pant
Trafalgar belt
Armani socks
testoni monkstraps
Gucci cologne
Piaget watch
post #1568 of 2388
Got my first Band of Outsiders shirt thanks to Gilt Man.

It's an extra small. It's great, with one exception I'll talk about in a minute. I was worried about the neck size on an extra small, but the fit is superb--just estimating based on how it fits my body, the neck is around 15 with 33 sleeves, chest good for a 36 or a little smaller, going down to around maybe 32 at the waist. According to these vague measurements, (32/2)-15=1, the slimmest fit we've seen using our slimness equation so far.

The only smaller waist size I've seen on a dress shirt is my prototype Bonobos shirt, and that shirt I literally cannot button up over top of my pants.

Basically, the BoO is just a crazy slim body which works perfectly for me...until we get to the length. The front and back of the shirt are long, made for tucking in, which is fine, but the sides come right to my hips, and pull out if I move around. And if it shrinks at all when I wash it, any ideas of tucking it in are just over; I'll end up shortening the long front and back to make it a don't-need-to-tuck shirt. At 5'7", I'm pretty surprised I'm having this problem. It's like they're making shirts for pre-growth-spurt teens. Anyone else had this problem?

(Side note: I bought the shirt on, I think, Monday, and it came Thursday. The fastest I've ever seen Gilt ship.)
post #1569 of 2388
Can anyone comment on fit and quality of Pierre Cardin slim fit shirts?
They're especially cheap over at Century 21.
post #1570 of 2388
I bought a pair of Zara slim fit shirts on sale for $12.99 (down from $40). They fit amazing. Maybe the best slim fit shirts I've found yet. Certainly for the money.
post #1571 of 2388
There are two fine Swedish brands;
Stenströms and also Eton, nice fits at good price.
post #1572 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
I bought a pair of Zara slim fit shirts on sale for $12.99 (down from $40). They fit amazing. Maybe the best slim fit shirts I've found yet. Certainly for the money.

Where did you find Zara shirts for that price?
post #1573 of 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg View Post
Got my first Band of Outsiders shirt thanks to Gilt Man.

It's an extra small. It's great, with one exception I'll talk about in a minute. I was worried about the neck size on an extra small, but the fit is superb--just estimating based on how it fits my body, the neck is around 15 with 33 sleeves, chest good for a 36 or a little smaller, going down to around maybe 32 at the waist. According to these vague measurements, (32/2)-15=1, the slimmest fit we've seen using our slimness equation so far.

The only smaller waist size I've seen on a dress shirt is my prototype Bonobos shirt, and that shirt I literally cannot button up over top of my pants.

Basically, the BoO is just a crazy slim body which works perfectly for me...until we get to the length. The front and back of the shirt are long, made for tucking in, which is fine, but the sides come right to my hips, and pull out if I move around. And if it shrinks at all when I wash it, any ideas of tucking it in are just over; I'll end up shortening the long front and back to make it a don't-need-to-tuck shirt. At 5'7", I'm pretty surprised I'm having this problem. It's like they're making shirts for pre-growth-spurt teens. Anyone else had this problem?

(Side note: I bought the shirt on, I think, Monday, and it came Thursday. The fastest I've ever seen Gilt ship.)

are your pants low rise? boo shirts work best as either casual wear worn untucked or tucked into pants with a regular or high rise.
post #1574 of 2388
I bought from a place called Bedo, its a small boutique and they carry trimmed shirts that fits just right. I have gotten 5 shirts about now. Also I have began to wear English Laundry shirts and I love these things, more style.. amazing.
post #1575 of 2388
Does anyone have a size comparison between H&M and BB ESF? Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts