or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts - Page 87

post #1291 of 2397
Well I just had all my CK and DKNY slim shirts tailored. They fit great in the shoulder and well enough in the sleeve, but needed about 6" out of the waist and a little out of the chest. I wear a 34" pant and the shirts were a 16" collar, for reference.
post #1292 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeake View Post
Has anyone tried Brook's Brothers "extra" slim fit shirts? Thoughts?

Definitely very slim w/ high armholes, but there's not much tapering in the waist. The main problem with this is people complaining that it's too tight in the chest and/or loose in the waist but overall it's very slim IMO. They really should've given +1'' in the chest and -1'' in the waist as I'd suspect that would fit a lot of people better. But still it's the only BB shirts I buy b/c of the high armholes it can at least be tailored to (near) perfection. Plus they just recently added a bunch more styles on the website.
post #1293 of 2397
Did a little shopping this weekend. Stopped by RL, Brooks Brothers and Barneys in Bev Hills. Found the RL Black Label to have a very nice fit. I have a 15-inch neck and long arms, 34-35ish. Sleeves were just a touch too short, chest good, mid-section ok (might need to be darted, at least on me, 30" waist). Cost bad, $295?! Was impressed with the Black Fleece line at Brooks Brothers, but the sleeves were WAY too short, next size up was huge. Ended up getting a Paul Smith shirt from Barneys. For you skinny, wirey guys... PS might be a good option. Very slim and fitted, with slightly longer sleeves. Just stay away from the ridiculously flamboyant patterns.
post #1294 of 2397
Not sure how helpful this will be to most of the thread, but for those on the larger end of the spectrum:

I wear a 48R coat, 44 waist, and 18/18.5 collar.

I have found that BB 18 and 18.5 fit like giant tents. Unfortunately they dont make the extra slim fit in those sizes, I find the 18 slim to fit well, but the 17.5 reg. fits better. Also normally wear a XL, and the XL slim fit in BB is nice fit.
post #1295 of 2397
Morning chaps, My Ledbury shirt's just arrived. The fabric's superb as is the craftmanship. However, still needs a trip to the tailor as it's several inches longer and wider than I'd care for it to be. I'm wondering if my problem simply is that I've got a large neck. Sizing down to 15½ is generally a great fit if not a bit short in the arms. I'm 6', 183 lbs, 32" waist, athletic. Is this really such an uncommon shape?
post #1296 of 2397
My measurements:

37 inch chest
31 inch waist

5'10 and 150 pounds ( yes I need to eat more pies )

I find Reiss shirts are a pretty good fit, for me the small fits well, though I still need the sleeves shortened a couple of inches, so I only have a little cuff showing beyond my jackets.

They are expensive for what they are though, so cheaper options ( or better quality for £80 would be great )

http://www.reiss.co.uk/shop/mens/shi...rmal/view_all/
post #1297 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Edward View Post
Morning chaps,

My Ledbury shirt's just arrived. The fabric's superb as is the craftmanship. However, still needs a trip to the tailor as it's several inches longer and wider than I'd care for it to be. I'm wondering if my problem simply is that I've got a large neck. Sizing down to 15½ is generally a great fit if not a bit short in the arms.

I'm 6', 183 lbs, 32" waist, athletic. Is this really such an uncommon shape?

I'm similar. 6'0 176 lbs and 33" waist and 39" chest. I find that express slim fit in medium and brooks brothers non-iron slim fit in 15.5 34 are both very good fits.
post #1298 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Edward View Post
I'm 6', 183 lbs, 32" waist, athletic. Is this really such an uncommon shape?

Yes

look around you next time you walk down the street.

I am almost 6'2, a bit under 34W, and maybe 185 the last time I checked (don't have a scale) and shirt fit is pure trouble. 15.5x34 BB slim is close but the neck is really a pinch too small to wear closed (fine for shirt patterns I would never wear with a suit though) and I sometimes wonder if the arms are a pinch short too. 16 neck seems to get a bigger body...still need to pay a visit to someone in chicago who can take my shirts in for me.
post #1299 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Yes

look around you next time you walk down the street.

I am almost 6'2, a bit under 34W, and maybe 185 the last time I checked (don't have a scale) and shirt fit is pure trouble. 15.5x34 BB slim is close but the neck is really a pinch too small to wear closed (fine for shirt patterns I would never wear with a suit though) and I sometimes wonder if the arms are a pinch short too. 16 neck seems to get a bigger body...still need to pay a visit to someone in chicago who can take my shirts in for me.

I suppose no one's got a solution as to how one might go about reducing neck sizes? 15½ is generally quite serviceable, but there is something inherently daft in purchasing anything which is known to be immediately deficient. When it comes to OTR shirts, c'est la vie.
post #1300 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Edward View Post
I suppose no one's got a solution as to how one might go about reducing neck sizes? 15½ is generally quite serviceable, but there is something inherently daft in purchasing anything which is known to be immediately deficient. When it comes to OTR shirts, c'est la vie.

I feel like the standard advice is to buy neck/sleeve/shoulders that fit and alter the rest.

You won't be able to alter neck (other than moving the button a pinch) and sleeves can't be let out enough to make it worth it. You can forget about doing anything to the shoulders.
post #1301 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Edward View Post
Morning chaps,

My Ledbury shirt's just arrived. The fabric's superb as is the craftmanship. However, still needs a trip to the tailor as it's several inches longer and wider than I'd care for it to be. I'm wondering if my problem simply is that I've got a large neck. Sizing down to 15½ is generally a great fit if not a bit short in the arms.

I'm 6', 183 lbs, 32" waist, athletic. Is this really such an uncommon shape?

Probably. Need your suit size/chest measurement to tell you though.

But think about it. Most of America is fat. Making clothes for the 10% of the populace who are fit and in shape is not going to maximize profits. I'm 5'6" with a 9" drop, I've given up on OTR shirts. I just buy MTM now.

But yes, if you must buy OTR, make sure the neck, shoulders, and arm holes are good. And the sleeves and length isn't too short.
post #1302 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpeake View Post
Has anyone tried Brook's Brothers "extra" slim fit shirts? Thoughts?

I just bought two of these myself, I think they do indeed taper nicely at the waist. As mentioned, their main fault does seem to be too small of a chest. I went with mediums instead of smalls precisely because I felt like the hulk in mediums, which I am definitely not, but fit almost snug in the stomach, even at 6'0" and 170 lbs.
post #1303 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
Yes

look around you next time you walk down the street.

I am almost 6'2, a bit under 34W, and maybe 185 the last time I checked (don't have a scale) and shirt fit is pure trouble. 15.5x34 BB slim is close but the neck is really a pinch too small to wear closed (fine for shirt patterns I would never wear with a suit though) and I sometimes wonder if the arms are a pinch short too. 16 neck seems to get a bigger body...still need to pay a visit to someone in chicago who can take my shirts in for me.

Close to that- 6' 2" 165 lbs with 33-34W. I usually go 15 1/2 neck, 34/35 but even that is off at times. Lately I've been running more so my shirts, even fitted ones, are getting big, esp in the arms. I looked downright pirate-y today.

Anyway for off-the-rack, Alfani Fitted and Red shirts at Macy's fit fairly good, Fitted being a bit better, and slim fit shirts at Banana Republic. I am ready to go head first into extra slim fit, though. This thread has great leads.
post #1304 of 2397
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
Close to that- 6' 2" 165 lbs with 33-34W. I usually go 15 1/2 neck, 34/35 but even that is off at times. Lately I've been running more so my shirts, even fitted ones, are getting big, esp in the arms. I looked downright pirate-y today. Anyway for off-the-rack, Alfani Fitted and Red shirts at Macy's fit fairly good, Fitted being a bit better, and slim fit shirts at Banana Republic. I am ready to go head first into extra slim fit, though. This thread has great leads.
Oooh, yeah I actually do have an Alfani shirt (I think it says "tailored fit") that fits quite well. Only problem is the sleeves are a bit short (it was neck sized only) and the neck is 15.5 so can be a bit too tight with a tie...quality is pretty low too but for $4, i'm not complaining
post #1305 of 2397
I'm looking for a shirt like this but w/ a slim fit... can anyone help me out w/ a link overhere? pretty please... and looking at a pretty similar blue http://www.bluefly.com/Hickey-Freema...801/detail.fly
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts