or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 College Football Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2014 College Football Thread - Page 20  

post #286 of 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

It's completely embarrassing that major college football teams schedule crappy FCS and other overmatched opponents that they can blow up by 70 points. Hopefully the new playoff will more effectively consider strength of schedule and not reward teams for running up the score on opponents they shouldn't even be scheduling.

I agree philosophically, but the problem is that there is a pretty strong incentive to schedule those cupcakes. There's not a lot to be gained by being the team that stands on principle and refuses to do it.

Another issue, and Ed touches on this, is that there's not a lot of differentiation between the bottom, say, 30 A-level schools and the top AA schools. That being the case, even if scheduling AA schools were prohibited, you'd still have top-tier teams scheduling teams that aren't really discernibly different from AA programs.

To me, this whole thing is at its worst when you have a top school schedule a AA team and a team that just stepped up from AA to A football. UF did this a few years ago, and any team that's playing Ed's GSU and a AA is doing that this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

I stopped paying attention near the end, but I think that might have been in lieu of an easy FG. You can't just go into the victory formation with 10 minutes left on the clock because you feel bad for the opponent. THat would be worse. Also - we went down in polls after week 1 because we didn't win by as big a margin as Oregon, so.... anybody that says margin of victory is no longer a consideration has underestimated the human factor in the rankings.

...

Yes, I believe that was the case. The options were: go for it, punt on an extremely short field (which would have been extremely insulting), go to victory V with 10 minutes left to play (also extremely insulting), or kick the field goal. It seems to me that the least of those evils, by a pretty big margin, is kicking the field goal. That's what any team with a substantial lead would have done in that situation; trying to convert the fourth down was a blatant attempt to run up the score by opening the door to another TD.

The argument that margin of victory matters rings pretty hollow when we're talking about beating a doormat by four fewer points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Well, FWIW... the NCAA says that only 60% (IIRC, it may be 70 but I doubt that) of games must be against FBS opponents, that leaves a lot of open games. And considering there are 125 programs in FBS, there's going to be a lot of bad teams. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these games are, in many ways, sort of inevitable. And I can't really fault people for gaming the system of polling.

Also, as an alum of one of the gutless pillows, these games allows us to afford our football program. So there's that.

I don't know which rule you're referencing, but I do know that only one win over a AA school can be counted toward bowl eligibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Affording programs bugs me.

Agreed.

That said, if we define "afford" as "not operate in the red," most schools can't really afford their athletics programs. Still, it's even worse when "afford" includes letting your football team march to slaughter in an attempt to balance the books.
post #287 of 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I agree philosophically, but the problem is that there is a pretty strong incentive to schedule those cupcakes. There's not a lot to be gained by being the team that stands on principle and refuses to do it.

Another issue, and Ed touches on this, is that there's not a lot of differentiation between the bottom, say, 30 A-level schools and the top AA schools. That being the case, even if scheduling AA schools were prohibited, you'd still have top-tier teams scheduling teams that aren't really discernibly different from AA programs.

To me, this whole thing is at its worst when you have a top school schedule a AA team and a team that just stepped up from AA to A football. UF did this a few years ago, and any team that's playing Ed's GSU and a AA is doing that this season.

I agree with you on the incentives, which is why I'm hoping strength of schedule gets considered much more seriously in the future. It's not so much playing an FCS school that bugs me (some top tier FCS programs are actually pretty good and beat FBS teams), but really scheduling a team that's going to be a 50+ point underdog, like a bottom tier FCS program. I guess it can't be helped at times and understand that it can help fund athletic programs at other schools (though mediocre major conference teams could probably still afford a decent payment and let the top teams make their schedules tougher). And yeah, the schedule an FCS school and a FBS school that was an FCS school two years ago is pretty bad.
post #288 of 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I agree with you on the incentives, which is why I'm hoping strength of schedule gets considered much more seriously in the future. It's not so much playing an FCS school that bugs me (some top tier FCS programs are actually pretty good and beat FBS teams), but really scheduling a team that's going to be a 50+ point underdog, like a bottom tier FCS program. I guess it can't be helped at times and understand that it can help fund athletic programs at other schools (though mediocre major conference teams could probably still afford a decent payment and let the top teams make their schedules tougher). And yeah, the schedule an FCS school and a FBS school that was an FCS school two years ago is pretty bad.

I definitely agree that a stronger emphasis on SOS would be nice. Philosophically, I think it's a good thing. Plus, as a fan of an SEC team with a tendency to schedule a couple of decent OOC games each season, it would probably benefit my Dawgs.

Honestly, I think the AA-team issue would be solved, or at least almost entirely mitigated, if they just stopped counting any wins from that division toward bowl eligibility. You'd probably get some protests from AA schools who like the payout and exposure (or are among the few with a chance to actually win the games), but I think the net benefit would be worth it.
post #289 of 1334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Another issue, and Ed touches on this, is that there's not a lot of differentiation between the bottom, say, 30 A-level schools and the top AA schools. That being the case, even if scheduling AA schools were prohibited, you'd still have top-tier teams scheduling teams that aren't really discernibly different from AA programs.

Part of the reason this will never happen is that the bigtime FBS schools make up a tiny fraction of the votes in the NCAA (obviously) and any decision like that would require an NCAA-wide vote, it wouldn't just be a Football Rules Committee vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

I don't know which rule you're referencing, but I do know that only one win over a AA school can be counted toward bowl eligibility.

I will have to dig it up but there is a rule that says to maintain FBS-eligibility, a certain proportion of games must take place against FBS-level opponents.


....

But the decision to begin restoring football scholarships to coach Bill O'Brien is a tacit acknowledgment that the NCAA sanctions constituted an overreaction that diminished the organization in the eyes of its member schools and the public. That sound coming from University Park, Pa., is a bell unringing.

Here's the meat and potatoes: Instead of three more years of granting 15 initial and 65 total scholarships, O'Brien will be allowed to restore five per year in each category. Penn State will return to the NCAA maximum of 25 initials in 2015-16, and a team limit of 85 the following year. The other sanctions -- the $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban and the five-year probation -- remain intact.
post #290 of 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Part of the reason this will never happen is that the bigtime FBS schools make up a tiny fraction of the votes in the NCAA (obviously) and any decision like that would require an NCAA-wide vote, it wouldn't just be a Football Rules Committee vote.

You don't think that would make it more likely to happen? It seems to me that the lower-level schools are probably tired of seeing their peers take beatdowns for a payday; I'd think it would be especially galling to those schools that refuse to do the same thing.
Quote:
I will have to dig it up but there is a rule that says to maintain FBS-eligibility, a certain proportion of games must take place against FBS-level opponents.

Gotcha. So we're talking about two different types of eligibility.
Quote:
....

But the decision to begin restoring football scholarships to coach Bill O'Brien is a tacit acknowledgment that the NCAA sanctions constituted an overreaction that diminished the organization in the eyes of its member schools and the public. That sound coming from University Park, Pa., is a bell unringing.

Here's the meat and potatoes: Instead of three more years of granting 15 initial and 65 total scholarships, O'Brien will be allowed to restore five per year in each category. Penn State will return to the NCAA maximum of 25 initials in 2015-16, and a team limit of 85 the following year. The other sanctions -- the $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban and the five-year probation -- remain intact.

I'm conflicted on the whole PSU sanction thing. I think there's a reasonable argument that the NCAA overstepped its bounds with that penalty, given what happened could be argued to be outside its purview.

On the other hand, there's evidence that the football program protected and enabled one of the worst sorts of human being, and I have no issue with the program being harshly sanctioned for being complicit in something so vile.

So, yeah, when I reflect on it, I usually come to, "fuck 'em, the disgusting bastards," but I'm not completely deaf to the argument from the other side.

That said, I think it's asinine that the NCAA is backing off, but I think it's a result of the fact that it reacted emotionally (and not rationally) to the whole situation in the first place. I know the goal was to be harsh and swift, but that does no good when you have to walk it back a year or so later.
post #291 of 1334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

You don't think that would make it more likely to happen? It seems to me that the lower-level schools are probably tired of seeing their peers take beatdowns for a payday; I'd think it would be especially galling to those schools that refuse to do the same thing.

Nope. Teams playing up are the ones who "benefit" the most. And when else is North Dakota State University going to get media coverage? When they beat Kansas State. Same for App State etc.
post #292 of 1334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Gotcha. So we're talking about two different types of eligibility.

Yup. TO avoid probation FBS teams must maintain average home attendance of 15,000 over a two-year period* and play a certain percentage of games against FBS teams.

Agreed with the rest of your post. The PSU situation was just a giant mess all around.

*It used to be each season and SDSU or some other SoCal-based team had to cancel all ticket sales for its final two games one year to avoid probation. I have little doubt GSU will filling the Dome by sending free tickets to the Cordele Elementary School as they have done before.
post #293 of 1334
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Also the ACC at large will do better than you think. Maryland is your surprise team there.

Five teams are undefeated, including a 4-0 Terps team that is #25 in ESPN's Power Rankings. Also, including Louisville, the ACC has more teams in the top 8 of the major rankings than any other conference. BEST CONFERENCE OF THE YEAR COCKNUTS
post #294 of 1334
Thread Starter 
well so much for Tech (the Georgia variety). As a sidenote: I kind of like Tech's helmets (the Virginia variety).

Also, seriously ESPN? I get you want to ramp up interest for your game but the headline: Is 'Bama For Real? followed by "We'll find out for sure when they play Ole Miss." Its like... uh... the way they beat aTm didn't suggest that? Whatever.

Oh, and they also had a bit in SportsCenter today: "Friday is the fifth anniversary of a speech so inspirational it has a fifth anniversary." They are of course, referring to Tim Tebow's crying like a little bitch on TV.

I think I posted before but I'm applying to UGA for grad school. Well as part of the campus tour they took us to Sanford Stadium. Even though I'd been there before it was still almost like a we've-just-reached-the-mountaintop moment when we got there. Also, there were a couple of Northerners in the group and they were just agog. "We don't have anything like this!" Their breathlessness was truly remarkable.
post #295 of 1334
Thread Starter 
Oh wow.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9728042/ea-sports-stop-producing-college-football-game
post #296 of 1334
Thread Starter 
How can you not love UCF after seeing their old logo?

The heart and head pick UCF for the upset, but the mouse says no (will regret not picking that in the pick em tourney)

post #297 of 1334
Personally, I think you should pick UCF, Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

well so much for Tech (the Georgia variety). As a sidenote: I kind of like Tech's helmets (the Virginia variety).

Also, seriously ESPN? I get you want to ramp up interest for your game but the headline: Is 'Bama For Real? followed by "We'll find out for sure when they play Ole Miss." Its like... uh... the way they beat aTm didn't suggest that? Whatever.

Oh, and they also had a bit in SportsCenter today: "Friday is the fifth anniversary of a speech so inspirational it has a fifth anniversary." They are of course, referring to Tim Tebow's crying like a little bitch on TV.

I think I posted before but I'm applying to UGA for grad school. Well as part of the campus tour they took us to Sanford Stadium. Even though I'd been there before it was still almost like a we've-just-reached-the-mountaintop moment when we got there. Also, there were a couple of Northerners in the group and they were just agog. "We don't have anything like this!" Their breathlessness was truly remarkable.

Sanford is remarkable because of the perspective from the bridge combined with the way it sits in that creek valley. It gives a great feel for how enormous it really is.
post #298 of 1334
Bleacher Report, this is why you're stupid:
Quote:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1786241-college-football-picks-week-5-predictions-for-every-game/page/19

The offenses are basically equal, with both scoring over 40 points per game against similar defenses. (Yes, South Carolina's defense is the best of all combined opponents...on paper. However, the Gamecocks didn't exactly wow the crowd with their performance against Georgia.)

The defenses are also equal, with Georgia allowing 10 more points per game to better offenses (i.e. Clemson) than the Tigers faced. We are in a classic Princess Bride-style battle of wits, and we clearly cannot choose the wine in front of anyone.

There is one basic observation that predicts this outcome: LSU's offense is far better than it was in 2011, and Georgia's defense is worse than in that same year. LSU beat Georgia badly in Atlanta that season.

The jury is still out on LSU's defense, but it's been good enough for four straight wins so far.

That seriously might be the worst piece of college football analysis I've ever had the misfortune to read.
post #299 of 1334
Most commentary is better for entertainment purposes than anything else. It's almost like ESPN has to create controversy to keep itself relevant...oh wait,,,
post #300 of 1334

I don't understand how beating Ole Miss will validate 'Bama. Yeah, they're a team on the rise, but needed a comeback to beat an okay Vanderbilt team. They had a great recruiting class, but you can't expect them to be great right away. As it was already said, beating A&M proved a lot more than beating the Rebels will.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2014 College Football Thread