• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What To Wear With Linen Pants

2sweet

Reaction score
I bought a couple pairs of linen pants as well as dockers for the summer. What goes well with linen pants? I'm thinking a pair of sandals, but I don't know what kind of shirt/s go well with linen pants. I imagine myself standing beachside wearing linen pants, sandals, a tanktop and button shirt unbuttoned.

What recommendations do you have?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Venetian loafers.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I have a pair of drawstring linen pants that I usually wear with a casual shirt, sleeves rolled up, if it's during the day or a light weight sweater if its night time.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have apair I never wear becase I can't pair them with anything that looks right away from the ocean.

v84

Reaction score
Id imagine clarks deset boots ( some suede ones or the ones with the center seam ) would look fine with some beige or brown linens.

A linen shirt, or a casual cotton shirt would be fine i guess, also I think a grandad collar shirt would look cool, pity I dont own one.

Flame - Could you post a pic of Venetian Loafers?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is an example of a venetian style loafer.

v84

Reaction score
thanks robin, im going to be corrected, i know, but they just look like leather soled moccasins to me.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v84
thanks robin, im going to be corrected, i know, but they just look like leather soled moccasins to me.

They basically are. The distinguishing characteristic of a Venetian style loafer is the plain vamp (as opposed to one with a penny strap, tassles, or <shudder> kiltie design).

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v84
You're not far off - that particular model that I showed are Keene's from AE which are advertised as venetian loafers with moccasin stitching. They also have rubber soles in this case.

Here's another pair of venetian loafers from AE which follow more of a classic styling. It's a shame they haven't made this in suede.

v84

Reaction score
rightyho! I guess as well as venetian loafers, you may want to go even more casual ( yknow if they are drawstring linen slacks ) like moccasin car shoes, with the broken rubber sole, they would probably look cool, heh.

Im no expert but for me a crepe sole would be better and more suited to casual trousers in linen, unless they are pleated and kinda dressy.

Anamoly

Reaction score
How about lots of gold chains, exposed chest hair and a wife beater?

bounce2.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v84
Id imagine clarks deset boots ( some suede ones or the ones with the center seam ) would look fine with some beige or brown linens.

A linen shirt, or a casual cotton shirt would be fine i guess, also I think a grandad collar shirt would look cool, pity I dont own one.

A camp collar shirt in virtually any mid- or lightweight fabric (bamboo, silk, cotton, linen, rayon) would work. With a rather traditional collar, color helps differentiate from office attire.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
A camp collar shirt in virtually any mid- or lightweight fabric (bamboo, silk, cotton, linen, rayon) would work. With a rather traditional collar, color helps differentiate from office attire.

+1. probably as far from Streetwear as you could get but i really like short sleeve Tommy Bahama silk buttondowns with my linen pants. they're great for resortwear or if you want to "dress up" for the beach. just make sure you size down at least 1 because they usually tend to run huge. alternatively, i think some vintage Hawaiian shirts would do the trick.

-Jeff

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Just picked up a green linen pant from someone on the board. Can't decide on a color to go with it. I usually just wear a polo around campus with my lighter colored linen pants. But what works with green?
Sorry 2sweet, for hijacking your thread!

-fn

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a waste, I've had my linen trousers for at least 5 years now and only worn them to play cricket in.

Everything, either looks wrong, or too Jimmy Buffet with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads