or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Method Analyst (Engineering) Interview - Yay or Nay outfit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Method Analyst (Engineering) Interview - Yay or Nay outfit? - Page 2

post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 

Ok gents, so after taking in the advice of each person and a bit here and there, these are my final 4. Personally I am leaning towards white shirt/wine color tie combination. My least favorite is the blue shirt/wine color tie combination. Its good, but in terms of where it stacks up to the others would be in last place from my own choice.

 

The shoes - I found a pair of kenneth cole reaction shoes on sale (last one on the shelf and exactly my size to the 0.5!) which is still a square toe shoe but is an improvement over the other pair. Not polished in the pics by the way so keep that in mind.

 

Tie - Both 100% silk ties with not much shine; darker blue than my previous tie and the length when tied and tightened is the tip of the tie is at the base of my belt buckle.

 

Shirts - 100% cotton slim fit, non-iron. Fitted white t-shirt under.

 

Suit - No alteration however I'm keen on getting the pants altered if any. The pics really make the length seem shoddy.

 

Onto the pics (point and shoot camera at not the best angle - so keep that in mind as well).

 

Only top button done ;)

 

 

 

 

 

post #17 of 26
3 and 4 are by far the best. IMO the blue shirt is way too dark to pull off the blue tie and blue shirt look successfully and I don't think it looks great with the dark red tie either. A light blue shirt would dramatically improve both looks.
post #18 of 26
Much better, but besides the blue problem, the shoes should be returned, the suit color is too severe (especially with high-contrast shirt-and-tie)*, the pants are too long, and probably the sleeves of the shirt and suit are too long.

*Interviewing usually requires a white shirt and therefore lighter blue isn't really a solution. Plus, red goes better with the personal coloring than blue does.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryT View Post

The shoes - I found a pair of kenneth cole reaction shoes on sale (last one on the shelf and exactly my size to the 0.5!) which is still a square toe shoe but is an improvement over the other pair. Not polished in the pics by the way so keep that in mind.

You've cleaned up real pretty on the suits, shirts and ties.
As to the shoes...



There is no nice way to say this. You've replaced ugliy with ugly. It kills the progress you have made on the other items. If you can return them, do so immediately and buy something with an oval toe. Swap them for a pair of Florsheim Kenmoors. They generally retail for $225 and are light years better than those Kenneth Cole monstrosities.

post #20 of 26
Actually, don't get the Kenmoors. All that broguing makes them less than ideal for interviews and other dressy situations. There are other, more appropriate-looking Florsheim shoes that probably will cost less (and, granted, be lousier construction). The ideal interview shoe will look like the black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, have combination or leather soles, and not be made of corrected grain leather.
post #21 of 26

Props to you, sir, for stepping up and taking the criticism well.  I think #3 and #4 work for an engineering interview.  I prefer #4 as the tie helps balance the dark suit.

 

Agree on replacing the new shoes if you still can.  Get a basic black lace up captoe.

 

Also get the suit tailored if you can - especially the pants.

 

Its an engineer interview, right?  Dont forget your pocket protector and jam at least 10 pens in it!

 

 

Longer term with your better paying new job in hand, read some of the basics for Mens dress threads and slowly build a wardrobe.  There are a number of good threads that will advise on business dress - like starting with navy blue and grey suits, black lace up shoes......  But be aware you will become the best dressed engineer in the building....

post #22 of 26
#3 by a landslide.
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

A light blue shirt would dramatically improve both looks.

Someone has been brainwashed... Light blue would not dramatically improve vs. the white, and whether it would improve at all is subjective.

If anything, by all non-SF norms, white is the most appropriate interview shirt / business shirt color. And he is not applying to work at SF.

What do you think the derivation of "white collar" vs. "blue collar" is?
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Someone has been brainwashed... Light blue would not dramatically improve vs. the white, and whether it would improve at all is subjective.

If anything, by all non-SF norms, white is the most appropriate interview shirt / business shirt color. And he is not applying to work at SF.

What do you think the derivation of "white collar" vs. "blue collar" is?

I think you misunderstood me. As I said in my post, pictures 3 and 4 (where he wore the white shirt) were his best looks. I suggested that a light blue shirt would look much better than the darker blue shirt he was wearing in the first two photos.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Actually, don't get the Kenmoors. All that broguing makes them less than ideal for interviews and other dressy situations. There are other, more appropriate-looking Florsheim shoes that probably will cost less (and, granted, be lousier construction). The ideal interview shoe will look like the black Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, have combination or leather soles, and not be made of corrected grain leather.

I did suggest the PA on page 1 but he seems insistent on a lower end shoe. I agree the Kenmoor isn't the best option but any store that carries Florsheim will have that model and still better than those Kenneth Coles for about the same price. If only he will try the AE PA, he'll be on his way.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I think you misunderstood me. As I said in my post, pictures 3 and 4 (where he wore the white shirt) were his best looks. I suggested that a light blue shirt would look much better than the darker blue shirt he was wearing in the first two photos.

Ohhh. Gotcha.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Method Analyst (Engineering) Interview - Yay or Nay outfit?