or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my first watch to wear with a suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my first watch to wear with a suit - Page 3

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8tesqw View Post

used iwc

what IWC will be under $2k?
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post

FTFY!

Well played.
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

You don't need a winder just because you have a mechanical watch.

If you have a bunch of them or don't wear it every day. Heaven forbid the crown is screwed tight after fixing the time.

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post

what IWC will be under $2k?

a used one. satisfied.gif


hmm like a non chronograph iwc 3-5 years old or vintage. I'm not super familiar with iwc but look for something called pilot but not "big pilot" or there are some plain ones that are named akin to vacation spots.

today I'm wearing an automatic seiko 5 with a leather strap. I don't think they are very expensive prob sub $500 like most seikos. Kinda looks like a rolex air king, which you could also prob find used in or at ur budget.
post #34 of 42
I think many miss the irony in having Bond where a dive watch with a tux. I believe they made such a big deal about it because it is so out of place, giving a slight hint to his job.

It's missed by most now, but people probably understood the irony in the 60's.
post #35 of 42
In addition to some of the excellent suggestions here, I'll add two more to consider.

If you have a little wiggle room in terms of size, you can find the 41mm Baume & Mercier Clifton for around your budget



Also for a classic look, there's the Oris Big Crown Original Pointer Date at about half your budgeted price

post #36 of 42
A leather strap is more dressy, but a metal bracelet is more than acceptable in a business setting with a suit. Just go and see how many bankers wear a Rolex with a metal bracelet. There are plenty of people wearing a Datejust, Sub, GMT or Daytona. I certainly would not wear a "sports" watch to a formal event, but for daily work setting, it is more than acceptable.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I think many miss the irony in having Bond where a dive watch with a tux. I believe they made such a big deal about it because it is so out of place, giving a slight hint to his job.

It's missed by most now, but people probably understood the irony in the 60's.

I like the idea. Also a chrono. Maybe not for formal wear but for business. If you want something about you to draw attention, why not your watch? Understood this can come across as douchey (word?) especially if the watch is oversized but if done right....
Edited by Cant kill da Rooster - 5/28/13 at 7:44am
post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I think many miss the irony in having Bond where a dive watch with a tux. I believe they made such a big deal about it because it is so out of place, giving a slight hint to his job.

It's missed by most now, but people probably understood the irony in the 60's.
I see your point, but watches have evolved since the 60's - by that I mean they're all big. A new DateJust (certainly a dressy watch) is 39mm today whereas its 1960's iteration was 36mm. The Omega DeVille has grown even more. Fifty years ago it may have looked out of place to wear a 40mm Submariner with a suit but today I wouldn't think twice (and wear the Planet Ocean often). And where do we draw the line? The GMT Master isn't technically a diving watch and is the same size as the Sub, but the polished center links make it a little dressier. If I were wearing a Patek Phillipe Nautilus with a tux and someone chastised me for wearing a diving watch I would beat them over the head with a stack of money.
post #39 of 42

It doesn't really matter. Just don't do the casio sports watch/timex ironman with a suit thing. Some of our more visible public figures still do, but it doesn't look good at all.

post #40 of 42
At this price point, I am partial to the Nomos Orion:



http://www.nomos-store.com/en/Watches/Orion/Watches-with-manual-winding/Orion-stainless-steel-back.html
post #41 of 42

+1 on Nomos

 

Given your price range, nothing will beat Nomos Glashutte. Unlike many companies listed in this thread, Nomos Glashutte is a manufacturer (it makes its own movements) and produces affordable watches of distinct minimalist design that is rooted deeply into the company's philosophy. Moreover, the watches are quite slender so you can easily wear them with a suit or a more casual attire. 

 

And here is the best part: Because the brand is not as well known as say Omega, you can get pre-loved specimen for a song. Check out Timezone.com. 

post #42 of 42

I didn´t know the Nomos brand, interesting

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my first watch to wear with a suit