or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my first watch to wear with a suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my first watch to wear with a suit

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 

SF-

 

I'm looking to buy a watch to wear with a suit everyday.  I normally wear charcoal or blue suits to work and black dress shoes.  

 

I've heard...

-Don't wear a steel band with a suit(leather only)

-not over 40mm in size

-match band color to other leather (ie belt shoes)

 

So i want..

-black band

-white face

-under 40mm in size

-spend roughly 2k~

 

Is what I've heard good advice? can anyone point me in right direction or shed light.

 

thanks SF 

post #2 of 43
Lots of choices at that price point. Go to timezone.com for more research.

For new watches, I'd look at:

Seiko
Nomos
Baume & Mercier
Hamilton
Maurice Lacroix
Raymond Weil
Tissot
Tutima

For gently used watches, I'd consider:

Omega
Zenith
Longines
IWC
JLC


Vintage watches will put you into a 14k/18k solid gold case and a nice classic look.

If you find a watch on a bracelet you like, you can always put it on an after market leather strap.
post #3 of 43
Strap watches are one point of view.

Metal bracelets are another, equally valid IMO.

I would steer clear of diver watches, and those over 40mm, Panerai styles come to mind.
post #4 of 43
Duplicate
post #5 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post

Strap watches are one point of view.

Metal bracelets are another, equally valid IMO.

I would steer clear of diver watches, and those over 40mm, Panerai styles come to mind.

 

strap watches are one point of view? So you are saying either or are vaild 

post #6 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone View Post

Lots of choices at that price point. Go to timezone.com for more research.

For new watches, I'd look at:

Seiko
Nomos
Baume & Mercier
Hamilton
Maurice Lacroix
Raymond Weil
Tissot
Tutima

For gently used watches, I'd consider:

Omega
Zenith
Longines
IWC
JLC


Vintage watches will put you into a 14k/18k solid gold case and a nice classic look.

If you find a watch on a bracelet you like, you can always put it on an after market leather strap.

ive found two omegas I like....what do omegas typically start at?

 

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/deville/prestige-co-axial/42413402002001

 

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/deville/prestige-quartz/48103301

 

thoughts on these as a dress watch to wear everyday with a suit

post #7 of 43
Thread Starter 

I thought the only strap you would want to wear with a suit is a leather strap?

 

Is this incorrect? What type of watch is acceptable to wear with a suit? 

post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

SF-

I'm looking to buy a watch to wear with a suit everyday.  I normally wear charcoal or blue suits to work and black dress shoes.  

I've heard...
-Don't wear a steel band with a suit(leather only)
-not over 40mm in size
-match band color to other leather (ie belt shoes)

So i want..
-black band
-white face
-under 40mm in size
-spend roughly 2k~

Is what I've heard good advice? can anyone point me in right direction or shed light.

thanks SF 

Look at the Oris Artix

http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-artix-date/01-733-7642-4051-07-5-21-81fc

or Oris Classic
http://www.oris.ch/en/watches/oris-classic-date/01-733-7594-4091-07-5-20-11

Chris
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

I thought the only strap you would want to wear with a suit is a leather strap?

Is this incorrect? What type of watch is acceptable to wear with a suit? 

Bracelets of all types are perfectly fine. You will find a few obsessives that insist in leather but they probably wear hair shirts as well.
post #10 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

 

strap watches are one point of view? So you are saying either or are vaild 

Read the second sentence to his comment.

post #11 of 43

Bracelets of all types are fine. On my Rolex I wear the oyster band. On my Mont Blac TimeWalker I fell into the trap of leather bands only, it became a pain with constantly swapping out the bands. I'd find myself wearing brown shoes one day the next, black. I say as long as the band is simple and elegant, you cannot go wrong. No diamonds, please.

post #12 of 43
I'm a big fan of Frederique Constant watches for beginners:

http://www.frederique-constant.com/en/collections/96/fc-303mc4p6

Elegant, Breguet-inspired design, very affordable, and reasonably sized at 40mm.
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

I thought the only strap you would want to wear with a suit is a leather strap? Is this incorrect? What type of watch is acceptable to wear with a suit? 

I'd go with this: http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/1746_Classic.htm
post #14 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

I thought the only strap you would want to wear with a suit is a leather strap?

 

Is this incorrect? What type of watch is acceptable to wear with a suit? 

 


Acceptable to whom?  Most people won't notice what you are wearing unless it is really out there.  For a suit, I prefer a dress watch - with a strong preference for a strap over a bracelet.  As for the heat of summer - just about any place I am conducting business in a suit is air conditioned, so that's a non-factor.  This vintage Omega sums up my idea of a dress watch pretty well - clean, elegant, slim:

 

 

In a contemporary premium dress watch, this Moser approaches perfection in my books:

 

 

But that isn't to say that a watch on a bracelet can't work.  Both this Omega:

 

 

And this Grand Seiko:

 

 

Work well as transition pieces from office to casual, IMO.

 

Dive watches and any enormous wrist clocks should be avoided, IMO.

post #15 of 43
Hm...

Depending on how you like the actual design of the face to look, this one hits your core criteria:

http://www.watchmann.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MaxBillAutomatic3501
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › my first watch to wear with a suit