or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Apparently Rob Ford, the Mayor of Toronto, Smokes Crack
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apparently Rob Ford, the Mayor of Toronto, Smokes Crack - Page 3

post #31 of 255
My friends that live in the city itself really, really, REALLY hate him.
post #32 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

My friends that live in the city itself really, really, REALLY hate him.

Often though the upper-class city-dweller hatred is an easy way to dismiss WHY people who aren't themselves insane, vote for populist candidates. No idea if that is your friends case, just saying it is easy to say populations are total fucking morons because they voted for a total fucking moron who basically told them that he wasn't like said upper-class city-dwellers but a total fucking moron just like his potential voters.
post #33 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuma View Post

Often though the upper-class city-dweller hatred is an easy way to dismiss WHY people who aren't themselves insane, vote for populist candidates. No idea if that is your friends case, just saying it is easy to say populations are total fucking morons because they voted for a total fucking moron who basically told them that he wasn't like said upper-class city-dwellers but a total fucking moron just like his potential voters.

Most of my GTA friends are sort of Boho/alt types that consider themselves far more intelligent than the common person, yet puzzled that so many people of lower IQs seem to have become more financially successful than them, so there's a bit of jealousy/bitterness towards others too. It's an interesting mix.

By all accounts there's not much to like about Ford and it's clear that he's at the very least skirted some corners on certain issues. I think he received so much hate he just went into a, "Fuck you all I'm going to be as outrageous as I can because you all hate me" mode early on.
post #34 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


I might be boring but I'm not the only one thinking this. It's typical American. Nothing existed outside the borders of the US before it comes to your notice. I have to agree with liberals about Americans (although that includes them too); you fuckers really are narrow minded and unconsciously discount everything that is not US or in your (highly limited) attention span.

What a typically Canadian thing to say.
post #35 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

This does not change the fact I find it funny the US left has just discovered him.

It seems unlikely to me that many people in any country are paying attention to the mayoral politics of other countries. How many Canadians could cite the majors of London and Paris? The major of LA? (I didn't know any of those)


Of course most Americans couldn't name the PM of Canada (or most other countries), which is a little more meaningful. But seems silly to expect us, or anybody else, to get down to the mayoral level. The politics of Toronto (or London or whatever) really don't affect the global picture enough for anybody except the hardcore news junkies to follow. If you've got a city right across the border from you, sure, that I could see knowing. But as general knowledge? High standard, there.
post #36 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

It seems unlikely to me that many people in any country are paying attention to the mayoral politics of other countries. How many Canadians could cite the majors of London and Paris? The major of LA? (I didn't know any of those)


Of course most Americans couldn't name the PM of Canada (or most other countries), which is a little more meaningful. But seems silly to expect us, or anybody else, to get down to the mayoral level. The politics of Toronto (or London or whatever) really don't affect the global picture enough for anybody except the hardcore news junkies to follow. If you've got a city right across the border from you, sure, that I could see knowing. But as general knowledge? High standard, there.

This is true. But it doesn't fit the ignorant-American narrative, so shut up.

It's weird to laugh at lefties hating on Rob Ford. Everyone capable of rational thought who is familiar with him hates him, not just lefties.

At any rate, smoking crack is hardly the worst thing Ford has done.
post #37 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGimpy View Post

This is true. But it doesn't fit the ignorant-American narrative, so shut up.

It's weird to laugh at lefties hating on Rob Ford. Everyone capable of rational thought who is familiar with him hates him, not just lefties.

At any rate, smoking crack is hardly the worst thing Ford has done.

It's only weird if you leave out the rest of my statement...which you did.

Also, mayor of LA is Villaraigosa, mayor of London is Boris Johnson. I'm Canuck and knew both of those without Google. I will admit I do not know who the mayor of Paris is.

However, GTA is equivalent to the NYC of Canada. Given the situation (neighbors, high interaction, similar cultural backgrounds, shared history from the time of settlement) I do not think it's asking too much of an informed person in the US to know who the mayor of GTA is.
post #38 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It's only weird if you leave out the rest of my statement...which you did.

Also, mayor of LA is Villaraigosa, mayor of London is Boris Johnson. I'm Canuck and knew both of those without Google. I will admit I do not know who the mayor of Paris is.

However, GTA is equivalent to the NYC of Canada. Given the situation (neighbors, high interaction, similar cultural backgrounds, shared history from the time of settlement) I do not think it's asking too much of an informed person in the US to know who the mayor of GTA is.

How about the provincial heads, the mayors of Montreal and Vancouver, cabinet ministers? How many non-NHL Canadians are we supposed to keep track of?
post #39 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thin Man View Post

How about the provincial heads, the mayors of Montreal and Vancouver, cabinet ministers? How many non-NHL Canadians are we supposed to keep track of?

As many as I tell you, biatch.
post #40 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

As many as I tell you, biatch.

Oh you Canadians with your Canadian language.

Its "beyotch."
post #41 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

It's only weird if you leave out the rest of my statement...which you did.

I will fully embrace the spirit of pedantry and point out that I left out not only the rest of your statement, but your entire statement.

And the mayor of London is Joe Fontana, of course.
post #42 of 255
The ole "Alledgedlys" are starting

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/23/rob-ford-mayor-crack/2355977/

Ford just fired this guy Mark Towhey which must be big news in the GTA.

What will he do next?
post #43 of 255
There's really not much I can add to this thread. I live in a suburb just west of Toronto, I really don't miss the schism between the the "downtown progressive set" and the "red meat eating inner suburb populists". The thing with Toronto is they will get behind a mayor, stick with him/her until they either screw up royally and/or outstay their welcome and get turfed in favour of their worst political enemy.

The previous mayor was David Miller who made even a capital D Democrat look like a tea partier, loved big government and pandered to the public sector unions. The second garbage/municipal strike finished his political career, however the only right of Centre candidate in the last election was you guessed it, Rob Ford.

Someone had to do what Rob Ford did (put the unions in their place, privatize garbage collection etc.) but his, well, crap Fxxxked up behaviour along with an incoherent public transit strategy has become a liability.

The sad truth is Toronto is the same size as Chicago and it's a great city however it's got some serious infrastructure issues (inadequate public transit, crumbling downtown elevated expressway beyond capacity, antique power grid etc.). I don't think the current council or it's replacement can address them, Mayor Ford is in way over his head and does not have the authority or the ability to get people on the same page.

Unlike American municipal politics, there are no formal political parties at the city council level.
post #44 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I really have no idea how he was elected except maybe some sort of 'burb/city core schism type thing I often see happen and I think all of GTA merged in the not too distant past.

Selected, not elected. wink.gif
post #45 of 255
More drama now with the Globe story alleging his brother was a supplier. As Bill Smith said the city has a lot of issues but we spend all our time on dodgy campaign finances, alcoholism, allegations of sexual assault and now substance abuse. I'm unsure he has any time to actually govern.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Events, Power and Money
Styleforum › Forums › General › Current Events, Power and Money › Apparently Rob Ford, the Mayor of Toronto, Smokes Crack