or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt or Brooks Brothers shirts for a starting attorney?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Charles Tyrwhitt or Brooks Brothers shirts for a starting attorney?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I went to BB's store in lower Manhattan yesterday afternoon and bought (among other things) 9 slim fit non-iron shirts (spread collar, 4 white, 3 blue, 2 patterned).  They came out to ~$55 each after the stacking discounts.

 

Thing is, I don't love how they have pockets on the front.  That, and CT's shirts are on sale for just $30 each.  I'm considering returning the shirts to BB and replacing them with CT's.  Do you think that's a good idea?

post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

I went to BB's store in lower Manhattan yesterday afternoon and bought (among other things) 9 slim fit non-iron shirts (spread collar, 4 white, 3 blue, 2 patterned).  They came out to ~$55 each after the stacking discounts.

 

Thing is, I don't love how they have pockets on the front.  That, and CT's shirts are on sale for just $30 each.  I'm considering returning the shirts to BB and replacing them with CT's.  Do you think that's a good idea?

I just made a thread about CT, but it looks like awesome quality and selection for the money. And you can afford to tailor each one and it will come to as much as a BB shirt before tailoring.

 

Make good relationships with coke dealers and escorts before you start to get a head start on career advancement.

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post

 

Make a good relationship with a psychotherapist before you start.

 

FTFY

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

 

FTFY

Isn't that what I said?

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post

Isn't that what I said?
Lol
post #6 of 14
...
post #7 of 14
Maybe this reply is too late. Replace, but not with as many shirts. One-brand-shirt man is not a good thing, and buying en masse leads to lousy choices.
post #8 of 14

BB seems to be more appropriate. As in, you've done the formality of wearing a dressy outfit but it doesn't look the sharpest. If you want about the same quality but better looks, check out camicissima. 

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingaraveup View Post

BB seems to be more appropriate. As in, you've done the formality of wearing a dressy outfit but it doesn't look the sharpest. If you want about the same quality but better looks, check out camicissima. 
There is nothing inherently dressier about a BB shirt over CT. And I have a few Camicissima shirts and don't think they are better than BB or CT.

Op, I think you should go with whichever brand fits better.
post #10 of 14

I don't mean dressy as in elegant, I mean, a lot of people consider formal clothes to be a black cap toe, baggy suit, and button down shirt. It doesn't look amazing but the reality is, it's considered appropriate, so it might fit in better in a law firm. 

 

My camicissima shirts have  a fantastic spread collar, their slim fits are close and stay stucked in all day. Theyre're 30 bucks a peice. I really love them, and my only complaint is that the sleeves are a bit long. 

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingaraveup View Post

I don't mean dressy as in elegant, I mean, a lot of people consider formal clothes to be a black cap toe, baggy suit, and button down shirt. It doesn't look amazing but the reality is, it's considered appropriate, so it might fit in better in a law firm. 

My camicissima shirts have  a fantastic spread collar, their slim fits are close and stay stucked in all day. Theyre're 30 bucks a peice. I really love them, and my only complaint is that the sleeves are a bit long. 

I have no idea how Brooks Brothers would look more appropriate than Charles Tyrwhitt in a law firm environment. They're both pretty comparable IMO.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I have no idea how Brooks Brothers would look more appropriate than Charles Tyrwhitt in a law firm environment. They're both pretty comparable IMO.

I work with 5 or 6 very large firms in the DC area, often visiting for weeks at a time. The time-keeper dress code is slim button up, pocket or no, tucked into black or charcoal pants, simple(boring) belt, simple/boring shoes (usually slim profile cap toes). Jackets are rarely if ever worn from what I've seen. In winter they wear topcoats, in summer they roll up the sleeves, but only when out of office.

The real focus for you will be comfort, not brand. The stress and total focus drain will be its own issue, so make sure you're comfortable.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafAndArrow View Post


I work with 5 or 6 very large firms in the DC area, often visiting for weeks at a time. The time-keeper dress code is slim button up, pocket or no, tucked into black or charcoal pants, simple(boring) belt, simple/boring shoes (usually slim profile cap toes). Jackets are rarely if ever worn from what I've seen. In winter they wear topcoats, in summer they roll up the sleeves, but only when out of office.

The real focus for you will be comfort, not brand. The stress and total focus drain will be its own issue, so make sure you're comfortable.

 

I'm not sure what law firms you're working with, but this is overly simplistic and not good advice.  I also have to disagree with the notion that either BB or CT is more appropriate than the other for a law firm environment.  I've worn BB shirts for years, but have recently switched over to CT because they fit me better and have better collars.  Both are perfectly appropriate.

 

As for OP's question, start out small with your purchases until after you have worked for a few weeks and see how the dress is in your law firm.  Some law firms (and practice groups within the same) are more formal than others, so it's hard to predict how often you will be in a suit or sport coat versus more casual dress.  It also may depend on what you are doing as the new attorneys in our litigation group are in a suit virtually every day for the first year or so.  Nothing worse than buying a bunch of stuff that you think will be appropriate for the job and later coming to realize you were wrong. 

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

I'm not sure what law firms you're working with, but this is overly simplistic and not good advice.  I also have to disagree with the notion that either BB or CT is more appropriate than the other for a law firm environment.  I've worn BB shirts for years, but have recently switched over to CT because they fit me better and have better collars.  Both are perfectly appropriate.

As for OP's question, start out small with your purchases until after you have worked for a few weeks and see how the dress is in your law firm.  Some law firms (and practice groups within the same) are more formal than others, so it's hard to predict how often you will be in a suit or sport coat versus more casual dress.  It also may depend on what you are doing as the new attorneys in our litigation group are in a suit virtually every day for the first year or so.  Nothing worse than buying a bunch of stuff that you think will be appropriate for the job and later coming to realize you were wrong. 

+1. OP can be pretty sure that he will be expected to wear dress shirts and nice pants. Some places will expect a jacket (either odd jacket or suit) and tie, though you'll generally not wear your jacket in the office. Seems like this thread is mostly about dress shirts, but OP, find out the dress code if you have not. Congratulations by the way on the offer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Charles Tyrwhitt or Brooks Brothers shirts for a starting attorney?