or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or Chanel Antaeus? Reading "THE PREFECT GENTLEMAN", by James Sherwood
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or Chanel Antaeus? Reading "THE PREFECT GENTLEMAN", by James Sherwood - Page 2

post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post



"Lean, lithe and potent just like its Greek hero namesake. The most potent, long-lasting form of men's fragrance. For an unmistakably masculine presence, day and night. Cooling, revitalizing spray to use lavishly all over the body." 


Ordered Antaeus today after reading some rave customer reviews at the Nordstrom's site.

I could not find any of the Penhaligon fragrances for sale at any leading USA stores, such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or Saks.  (Strange)

Thank you for you input,

David

When you buy a cologne without sampling it, it's called a blind buy, and it's risky. I did it once, and never again. As another poster mentioned, scent is a personal thing, not only in how you like it out of the bottle, but how it wears on you. I have tried 372 colognes. I own two. 372 is nothing, the top reviewers on Basenotes have all reviewed more than 1,000 colognes. These guys are experts, but I wouldn't blind buy anything they recommended. I'd sample them, but not blind buy them.

Having said this, Chanel Antaeus is, for me, the best Chanel scent and probably in my top 20. Good out of the bottle, nice pepper note over time. Not a crazy niche scent, even if you don't love it, you probably won't hate it. Hope it works out for you, please report back.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post


When you buy a cologne without sampling it, it's called a blind buy, and it's risky. I did it once, and never again. As another poster mentioned, scent is a personal thing, not only in how you like it out of the bottle, but how it wears on you. I have tried 372 colognes. I own two. 372 is nothing, the top reviewers on Basenotes have all reviewed more than 1,000 colognes. These guys are experts, but I wouldn't blind buy anything they recommended. I'd sample them, but not blind buy them.

Having said this, Chanel Antaeus is, for me, the best Chanel scent and probably in my top 20. Good out of the bottle, nice pepper note over time. Not a crazy niche scent, even if you don't love it, you probably won't hate it. Hope it works out for you, please report back.

Thank you for the tip.  I did not know there was a forum dedicated to fragrances, and this should do well.

 

Yes, you are absolutely correct in sampling before buying.  When I used to live in Newport Beach and shopped at South Coast Plaza, the sales staff would generously provide me with free samples.  And from the samples I would make a choice.  Nordstroms offers free shipping on returns, and this is the first time I have ventured to buy first to sample - and hopefully keep, but backed by a free return.

 

While I was on the Nordstrom site, I used their Chat and got transferred to the men's fragrance person who answered some questions.  I asked about mailing samples, and he had the Chicago store call me immediately where the sales person asked what I have worn and what I was thinking about in order to put together samples to mail me.  I learned that since moving to Montana I can still sample!


As for Chanel as a brand, I purchased Chanel #5 for my wife years ago and it remains one of the most beautiful perfumes she wears (money well invested).  The sales person said that "popular" fragrances today may not necessarily dismiss the beauty and choice of purchasing a standard which has reduced in sales over time, but that the standards remain strong enough in sales to continue to carry it.

 

I'll follow up on this later,

 

David

post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post



"Lean, lithe and potent just like its Greek hero namesake. The most potent, long-lasting form of men's fragrance. For an unmistakably masculine presence, day and night. Cooling, revitalizing spray to use lavishly all over the body." 


Ordered Antaeus today after reading some rave customer reviews at the Nordstrom's site.

I could not find any of the Penhaligon fragrances for sale at any leading USA stores, such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or Saks.  (Strange)

Thank you for you input,

David

Penhaligon's is actually a rather small business (albeit with a royal warrant, I believe). Google them for their US website, and order yourself a sample selection (more expensive than sampling them in a department store, less expensive than getting on a plane and going to London to visit one of their shops). Some of their scents can be rather an acquired taste, but you may find something to your liking.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 

I received my Chanel Antaeus.  Great product!

 

Also, I spoke to a USA store of Penhaligon's and they mailed me complimentary samples of several selections.  They have a very good sense also.

 

And Nordstroms mailed me a dozen free samples of their recommended men's fragrances.

 

I will have plenty to experiment with over the next month.


David

post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post

I received my Chanel Antaeus.  Great product!

Also, I spoke to a USA store of Penhaligon's and they mailed me complimentary samples of several selections.  They have a very good sense also.

And Nordstroms mailed me a dozen free samples of their recommended men's fragrances.

I will have plenty to experiment with over the next month.


David

I usually pay for my samples, since I have a bad track record of actually purchasing anything, I hate to impose. But you actually bought a bottle from Nordstrom's, so you can ask for samples guilt-free. Fun thing to get a bunch of samples in, enjoy.
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGent View Post

   you are correct crust, Antaeus - especially vintage - really can't be compared to virtually anything Penhaligon markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post

When you buy a cologne without sampling it, it's called a blind buy, and it's risky. I did it once, and never again. As another poster mentioned, scent is a personal thing, not only in how you like it out of the bottle, but how it wears on you. I have tried 372 colognes. I own two. 372 is nothing, the top reviewers on Basenotes have all reviewed more than 1,000 colognes. These guys are experts, but I wouldn't blind buy anything they recommended. I'd sample them, but not blind buy them.

Having said this, Chanel Antaeus is, for me, the best Chanel scent and probably in my top 20. Good out of the bottle, nice pepper note over time. Not a crazy niche scent, even if you don't love it, you probably won't hate it. Hope it works out for you, please report back.

Funny this comes up. I bought Antaeus as a blind buy and it immediately won me over. Subsequent blind buys have not been as successful.
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post



Funny this comes up. I bought Antaeus as a blind buy and it immediately won me over. Subsequent blind buys have not been as successful.

Same here, especially with the free return label back to Nordstroms if Antaeus did not win me over.

 

As for the Penhaligons - they sent me three separate small vials of their best - and I am waiting to change over to test one of them after a routine shower.

 

My other choices have last years, and my wife's Chanel #5 is the bests she has worn.

 

David

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or Chanel Antaeus? Reading "THE PREFECT GENTLEMAN", by James Sherwood