or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cuff Link Damage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cuff Link Damage - Page 74

post #1096 of 1136

Thanks.  I know they don't compare to many of the links in this thread but I'm getting into vintage and antique cufflinks at the moment and thought I'd share this set.  I have more on their way and will try to post a few if they look as interesting when I get them.

post #1097 of 1136

post #1098 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post








VERY nice, Kent!
post #1099 of 1136
I've been holding out, waiting for a cufflink of a Japanese Beetle. I remember long ago (I swear) I saw it in Neiman Marcus, but I was still in college and the idea of $300 cufflinks baffled me. I do see some Japanese Bettle cufflinks, but their sheen isn't nearly as good, their finish is very flat, and the shell just one color compared the rainbow of colors on the shell I'm searching for.

post #1100 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post

VERY nice, Kent!
really?
post #1101 of 1136

I've also seen some jewelry made out of the blue morpho butterfly. That might be up your alley. I considered making them myself but thought it was a little too flashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geruvah View Post

I've been holding out, waiting for a cufflink of a Japanese Beetle. I remember long ago (I swear) I saw it in Neiman Marcus, but I was still in college and the idea of $300 cufflinks baffled me. I do see some Japanese Bettle cufflinks, but their sheen isn't nearly as good, their finish is very flat, and the shell just one color compared the rainbow of colors on the shell I'm searching for.
 
post #1102 of 1136
Thread Starter 
I have a pair of the butterfly cufflinks Kent mentioned. He's right that they are flashy. I've only worn these a couple of times, and only with a white shirt. Still, I love having them as something unusual in my collection.

8470776056_d5fe710d71.jpg
post #1103 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

really?

 

They must be tiny because both sides are the same size and one end goes through the button hole..

 

I saw the exact same links from Codis Maya, only they were larger and not double sided.

post #1104 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

I have a pair of the butterfly cufflinks Kent mentioned. He's right that they are flashy. I've only worn these a couple of times, and only with a white shirt. Still, I love having them as something unusual in my collection.

8470776056_d5fe710d71.jpg

I like the sheen, yeah. But it's not a beetle. I'm going to just have to settle for others smile.gif.
post #1105 of 1136
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geruvah View Post

I like the sheen, yeah. But it's not a beetle. I'm going to just have to settle for others smile.gif.

Or go into the garden and kill your own beetles. :-)
post #1106 of 1136

Actually your blue morpho cuff links aren't that flashy. I might make something like that one day.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

 

They must be tiny because both sides are the same size and one end goes through the button hole..

 

I saw the exact same links from Codis Maya, only they were larger and not double sided.

They're 14 mm diameter, which is the largest size that will fit through all shirts. Most modern single-sided links are around this size or 1-2 mm larger. Almost all cuff links from before 1970 are double-sided, same size on both sides (like California Dreamer's butterflies), and therefore also 14 mm or smaller.

 

I ought to get some shots of them on the cuff, but here's a cuff shot of my sapphire cuff links which are 10 mm—this is the largest size possible for this design because it is thicker.

 

 

I know Codis Maya makes enamel cuff links but I doubt they employ guilloché engraving.

post #1107 of 1136
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang View Post

Actually your blue morpho cuff links aren't that flashy. I might make something like that one.

Flashy might be the wrong word, but they are difficult to wear with any shirt other than solid white really. As soon as you put them against patterns or stripes they clash, and they just look wrong against solid blues, pink etc.
post #1108 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreamer View Post

I have a pair of the butterfly cufflinks Kent mentioned. He's right that they are flashy. I've only worn these a couple of times, and only with a white shirt. Still, I love having them as something unusual in my collection.

8470776056_d5fe710d71.jpg

REALLY envying you those!
post #1109 of 1136


Having this made up proved to be a bloody nightmare as I detailed on my tumblr. Modelled after Tiffany's Schlumberger cufflinks below. Set with Afghanistan lapis.

[img]
Edited by bboysdontcryy - 6/11/13 at 9:14pm
post #1110 of 1136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post



Having this made up proved to be a bloody nightmare as I detailed on my tumblr. Modelled after Tiffany's Schlumberger cufflinks below. Set with Afghanistan lapis.

[img]

9 ct?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cuff Link Damage