or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying my first suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying my first suit - Page 7

post #91 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post

RDK - there are some basic fit threads, something with 101 in the title, maybe even stickied to all pages. Between that, the WAYWRN thread, the Good Taste thread, and even the peacock thread, there are tons of pictures and commentary on fit, colors, lapels, collars, ties, etc. People will rip apart details that you never even thought of.


I see :P

 

Here are some more new pictures from the suit.

 

Front to show the new length of the pants.

Also a funny story, I noticed there were still 2 pieces of plastic in the collar of the shirt, which probably caused the collar to look so tight before, I removed them and now it looks a bit better.

 

 

Side view as requested (notice the shadow makes it look like the jacket sticks out more than it really does).

 

 

And the back of the suit to show the length of the pants.

 

post #92 of 103
As expected, the suit jacket is too wide in the shoulders. Just because many stores don't carry odd sizes and suit measurements vary by brand/line doesn't mean someone can safely buy an even-sized jacket when measurements suggest an odd size. The irony in this case is that the oversized shoulders create at least as much of an unnatural effect as a boxy-by-design odd-sized Jos. Bank suit would have.

The suit above needs to go a high-quality tailor who can improve the shoulders. Also, something is wrong in the upper legs that he (or she) should be able to figure out.
post #93 of 103
I'm not sure I agree that it is too wide in the shoulders, but I only run a tumblr blog, not a website.
post #94 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

As expected, the suit jacket is too wide in the shoulders. Just because many stores don't carry odd sizes and suit measurements vary by brand/line doesn't mean someone can safely buy an even-sized jacket when measurements suggest an odd size. The irony in this case is that the oversized shoulders create at least as much of an unnatural effect as a boxy-by-design odd-sized Jos. Bank suit would have.

The suit above needs to go a high-quality tailor who can improve the shoulders. Also, something is wrong in the upper legs that he (or she) should be able to figure out.


I'm still very happy with the suit, I've had many compliments on it, and now that it's tailored I love it.

I don't think the shoulders are too wide, I read that to check if they are you should lean against the wall, and your own shoulders should touch the wall before the padding, which is the case with this suit.

 

I appreciate the advice though, because you probably know more about it than me and are trying to help, so thanks.

post #95 of 103
I think the jacket is fine. You simply have wide shoulders. Nothing wrong with that.
post #96 of 103
No, the shoulders are too wide. Perhaps only in the rear deltoids. Look at the dent in the side profile picture and all the extra fabric from the rear view. The actual build is v-shaped; with excess material in the shoulders, it starts to become cartoonish.

Edit: if it's just the rear deltoids, it's common for that area to be undeveloped, and special weight-lifting exercises would help. However, that probably wouldn't remove all need for more alterations.
Edited by mensimageconsultant - 6/2/13 at 10:58am
post #97 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post

I think the jacket is fine. You simply have wide shoulders. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

No, the shoulders are too wide. Perhaps only in the rear deltoids. Look at the dent in the side profile picture and all the extra fabric from the rear view. The actual build is v-shaped; with excess material in the shoulders, it starts to become cartoonish.

Edit: if it's just the rear deltoids, it's common for that area to be undeveloped, and special weight-lifting exercises would help. However, that probably wouldn't remove all need for more alterations.

Aren't you exaggerating a bit? I don't think I look cartoonish in the suit.

And I train both my rear, side and front deltoids regularly, so I don't think that's the problem.

post #98 of 103
From the back, it looks like an exaggerated upper torso. Maybe the posture is more erect than the suit was meant for and that's shifting extra fabric toward the back.

Also, now that you mention exercise, the trapezius muscles seem quite large. That might be contributing to the shirt collar problem. The left shoulder looks slightly higher than the right - and that's common and again exercise might affect it.
post #99 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

From the back, it looks like an exaggerated upper torso. Maybe the posture is more erect than the suit was meant for and that's shifting extra fabric toward the back.

Also, now that you mention exercise, the trapezius muscles seem quite large. That might be contributing to the shirt collar problem. The left shoulder looks slightly higher than the right - and that's common and again exercise might affect it.

 

You have a good eye for those things, because what you say about my trapezius muscles is true, mine are very well developed (for some reason they develop easier than most other muscles).

And the thing about my shoulder is true aswell, there is a slight difference in both my shoulders because I injured my right shoulder badly in karate lessons a few years back. I have tried correcting it with weight lifting but I think there will always be a slight difference because of the injury, so not much I can do about that.

Anyhow, do you suggest narrowing the shoulders on the jacket? I've heard this is very expensive to do.

post #100 of 103
The shoulder is fine. Enjoy your jacket and your broad shoulders.biggrin.gif
post #101 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

The shoulder is fine. Enjoy your jacket and your broad shoulders.biggrin.gif

+1. Don't go messing with the shoulders. It looks fine.
post #102 of 103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

The shoulder is fine. Enjoy your jacket and your broad shoulders.biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by becnal View Post


+1. Don't go messing with the shoulders. It looks fine.


Thanks guys!

post #103 of 103
There's no harm in taking the suit to a different tailor and asking for his opinion. There is definitely excess fabric in the upper back, and if the fix is inexpensive (including postural or exercise change), it's worthwhile. What's concerning is that the last tailor apparently overlooked that.

Edit: revisited the first post and remembered the location is Europe and that therefore Hardwick and Jos. A. Bank were not realistic suggestions. Confused the thread with a recent one where an odd size was needed.
Edited by mensimageconsultant - 6/3/13 at 11:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Buying my first suit