or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 2 SWU on American Airlines not able to use this year - free
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 SWU on American Airlines not able to use this year - free

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

So for the last 7+ years I have been Executive Platinum on AA from all of my work travel. When you reach the 100K mile mark for the year they award you Executive Platinum for the next year and 8 System Wide Upgrades. Recently, I have changed positions and am not doing much international travel and probably won't have a chance to use any of them. For now I am giving away 2 and in the future if I have no chance to use them I will dribble the others out. These are good until Feb 28, 2014.

 

What these allow is for me to upgrade any one-way trip of up to 3 hops 1 class. So for instance say you were traveling JFK to Tokyo (HND) on American in coach. With a system wide upgrade, you can now take that same 14 hour flight in business class.

 

This can save you serious money, for instance the coach cost for a flight is $1826 while the business on the same flight is $7240.

 

Here is the thing though, it is against AA policy to sell or trade these so I am giving them away. Over the years I have given these to co-workers or they have expired (5 expired last year), this year I decided to give them to one of my favorite internet hangouts. I would prefer to give these to the senior people on the forum (i.e. those that have hundreds of posts) since they have made my time here enjoyable. Any questions you have should be answered in this FAQ from AA. The only thing I will need from you is the name of the passenger and the airline confirmation code.

 

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/upgrades.jsp

 

Since this is my favorite area in the forums, I posted it in the "Classic Menswear" area. Since I am not selling or trading I didn't think it belonged in the marketplace and since it is not a discussion on travel it doesn't really belong there either.

 

Please PM me with your requests for one or both.

 

P.S. These are really best used on international flights, I had a guy at work want one for BOS - DFW which is 2 1/2 hrs...


Edited by Shoeluv - 5/2/13 at 9:27pm
post #2 of 37
Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 37
Canary Islands here I come!!
post #4 of 37
That is very sporting and generous of you.Tempting.

How would they know if someone paid you for one?
Just curious.
post #5 of 37

This is awesome man, good for you. I would love to use a couple t am sure there are more deserving members. Regardless, good for you

post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit50 View Post

That is very sporting and generous of you.Tempting.

How would they know if someone paid you for one?
Just curious.

 



You can go over to flyertalk.com and look through some of the threads. Many people have been caught selling them on craigslist and ebay, AA has a security team that watches both places to ensure they catch this. From what I gather ebay is fairly free with giving out personal information to third parties.

post #7 of 37
No use for it since I get the same, but very kind gesture.
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeluv View Post




You can go over to flyertalk.com and look through some of the threads. Many people have been caught selling them on craigslist and ebay, AA has a security team that watches both places to ensure they catch this. From what I gather ebay is fairly free with giving out personal information to third parties.


I meant more along the lines of you upgrading your mate(or SF acquaintance) and them handing you a token gift or cash. Not advertising for all the world to see.
Anyway, not important, plus I do not want to have any negative connotations associated with your grand gesture.
Are you only giving them to someone with a confirmed AA flight? As opposed to 'saving' them for a later date based on time of contact.
post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit50 View Post


I meant more along the lines of you upgrading your mate(or SF acquaintance) and them handing you a token gift or cash. Not advertising for all the world to see.
Anyway, not important, plus I do not want to have any negative connotations associated with your grand gesture.
Are you only giving them to someone with a confirmed AA flight? As opposed to 'saving' them for a later date based on time of contact.


Yeah, I have 2 gentlemen with confirmed reservations 1 DC to Shanghai and the other DC to Hawaii. If it winds up I can't use them I will dribble out the others over the next months.

post #10 of 37
Shoeluv - what size Shoes, Suits etc do you wear. At the very least you should receive a Trade for such a generous offer?.
post #11 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdragon View Post

Shoeluv - what size Shoes, Suits etc do you wear. At the very least you should receive a Trade for such a generous offer?.

 



According to AA policy I can not do anything that would be considered selling or trading so no quid pro quo at all. This is what I expected, last year I had 5 of these go to waste because I waited to long to give them out this year I want to give them away in plenty of time.

post #12 of 37
Wow! That is really nice of you. It makes me happy to see people engaging in kind acts like this.
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 

So I have chosen a member, he is a multi-thousand poster who is traveling to China. I need his permission before I use his name.
 

post #14 of 37
This is a most generous offer Shoeluv, and a rare event on our beloved forum. High praise to you, good sir. Welcome to Styleforum.
post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 

Called and requested upgrade for senior members round trip to China. Outbound was not available so I added him to the waitlist. Return was available and confirmed upgrade to Business class. I am reserving a SWU just in case his return trip opens up, but if it doesn't I will make it available again after the first week of June. So if you are flying AA long haul after the first week of June send me a PM and if it is still free you will be given a chance at the SWU.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › 2 SWU on American Airlines not able to use this year - free