or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cost of Shirting Linen by the Yard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cost of Shirting Linen by the Yard

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know the current cost of a yard of nice shirting linen? In preparation of the summer months (ahm horrific Texas heat), I asked my shirtmaker, Ripley, to do a linen shirt for me. However, he is claiming that the cost has somehow skyrocketed and is about $75 a yard. Is this correct? Seems a little high... but I may just not have a clue what quality linen goes for. Instead, he recommended a cotton that has the texture of linen... any thoughts? I believe he was quoting Shirtex linen (from Canada).

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #2 of 13
That sounds like a ridiculous price, as shirting silk can be had for $20/yd.
post #3 of 13
I am not going to quote prices here.
But. Linen from Europe is very expensive these days. From Italy and Ireland.

I sometimes order from an Irish importer that stocks in the US. my problem is that they have a somewhat large minimum for my needs. I would have to buy 25 yards. It can be split between 3 colors, then I have to sit on it.
so if Riply is buying a single shirt length from Shirtex. It will be expensive. Shipping alone from Shirtex in Canada is about $20 for a small package.

You can buy less expensive linen from Eastern Europe, but the quality is not the same.

shirting silks come from China, which are lower in price. Shirting silks from italy are very expensive today, unless you can find some old inventory that someone wants to unload.
Carl
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbya View Post
Does anyone know the current cost of a yard of nice shirting linen? In preparation of the summer months (ahm horrific Texas heat), I asked my shirtmaker, Ripley, to do a linen shirt for me. However, he is claiming that the cost has somehow skyrocketed and is about $75 a yard. Is this correct? Seems a little high... but I may just not have a clue what quality linen goes for. Instead, he recommended a cotton that has the texture of linen... any thoughts? I believe he was quoting Shirtex linen (from Canada).

Data point:

Acorn is $41 a yard inclusive of shipping with no minimum order.
post #5 of 13
Here is another alternative. http://www.hst.com.sg/acatalog/Gianf...ila_Linen.html
Have not used them myself, or had any experience with this fabric.
However, I believe some members have purchased from Hwa Seng, perhaps they could provide feedback on their reliability.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Any experience with these manufacturers? Would the quality be respectable for a quality shirt?

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply

Saphir Shoe Polish  -  Shoe Shine Guides

Luxury Wooden Hangers & Hundreds of other Fantastic Men's Accessories

Reply
post #7 of 13
Haven't used their shirtings but in general Hwa Seng supplies above average goods and the service is excellent.
post #8 of 13
I haven't had much luck with pure linen shirtings, at least not as a shirt to be worn under a jacket with a tie. The cloth just tends to be too thick. Linen-cottons, on the other hand, are terrific.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I haven't had much luck with pure linen shirtings, at least not as a shirt to be worn under a jacket with a tie. The cloth just tends to be too thick. Linen-cottons, on the other hand, are terrific.
Try the heaviest weight linen from the DJ Anderson book. It only comes in white and holds up very well under a sportjacket and with a tie. It is very open as far as the weave goes, so it may not be to your personal taste.
post #10 of 13
http://www.fishmansfabrics.com/brussels.htm

This Chicago fabric store will ship for $8.50. This is Brussels linen, very nice.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
I haven't had much luck with pure linen shirtings, at least not as a shirt to be worn under a jacket with a tie. The cloth just tends to be too thick. Linen-cottons, on the other hand, are terrific.

The problem with linen is that it wrinkles and however it wrinkles the first time you wore it, it will stay wrinkled that way. Sure, you can flatten it out a bit, but overall, it's going to be as it as the moment you took the shirt off after wearing it.

Jon.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Data point:

Acorn is $41 a yard inclusive of shipping with no minimum order.

Can you please confirm if the price on the pricelist includes shipping?

thanks
post #13 of 13
Prices can change, best to contact Acorn. They can send you a pricelist as well.

Acorn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cost of Shirting Linen by the Yard