or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson - Page 3

post #31 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

The inimitable Colin Hammick.

The first seems to look different from present day Huntsman and RA.

.

God that is a fantastic suit.
post #32 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Or one could use the thread in the clothing forum about that SR maker that you're already on, and get a response easily and more quickly. There can hardly be more valid uses of the forum.

God knows the turn around time on an email to these guys. Come on, get serious.

My obvious agitation is due to the fact that when I asked, I referenced how they don't have it on their site, and I obviously knew full well that I could get in touch with them. This is no "little secret" and it has not "escaped me," I just prefer the more expedient means that this forum is well suited to provide.

Chill -- don't think ET meant it in a pejorative way. He was, I'm guessing, making that statement half-jokingly.
post #33 of 148
It took 1 hr 15 mins from the first time I asked here until I got the answer. I actually expected it to be faster, despite my assumption that there are probably few RA clients on here at any time. There are plenty of tailors and people with general SR knowledge who are typically happy to help. I'm sure such a question would have been answered in no time in Rubi or NSM or EG or Steed (makers with many SF consumers).

New rule:
No seeking useful information on SF. Must talk to makers directly.

FYI I meant to reply to Poorsod: "Richard Anderson, Maurice Sedwell and Steed have been pretty prompt with me via email. Turnaround usually within a day if not less. Budd and NSM can take a little longer. Have you tried contacting them before?"
post #34 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post


Or one could use the thread in the clothing forum about that SR maker that you're already on, and get a response easily and more quickly. There can hardly be more valid uses of the forum.

God knows the turn around time on an email to these guys. Come on, get serious.

My obvious agitation is due to the fact that when I asked, I referenced how they don't have it on their site, and I obviously knew full well that I could get in touch with them. This is no "little secret" and it has not "escaped me," I just prefer the more expedient means that this forum is well suited to provide.

 

Sarcasm + humor, it is lost on you. Fwiw, they all respond very promptly. And, you're welcome.
post #35 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembers View Post

God that is a fantastic suit.

Maybe it's the angle, but the shoulders look 'softer' (relative, of course), to what I've seen from Huntsman. The windowpanes are also perfectly aligned. But what I marvel at is at those trousers and how they hang.
post #36 of 148
Well thank you (ET). But are suggesting that you did not mean to imply that I should have contacted them rather than asking here?
post #37 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post


Maybe it's the angle, but the shoulders look 'softer' (relative, of course), to what I've seen from Huntsman. The windowpanes are also perfectly aligned. But what I marvel at is at those trousers.

 

I have seen quite a few Huntsman suits, and none have really had built-up shoulders. I'm guessing that's just iGent-lore. The stuff I have from Dege, Meyer, etc. is certainly heavier at the shoulders.
post #38 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie View Post

Well thank you (ET). But are suggesting that you did not mean to imply that I should have contacted them rather than asking here?

 

I was just making a joke given the prevalence of these questions on SF. If I was annoyed by your Q or thought it inappropriate, I certainly wouldn't have responded with the answer. Methinks you're just being a bit sensitive here.
post #39 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Maybe it's the angle, but the shoulders look 'softer' (relative, of course), to what I've seen from Huntsman. The windowpanes are also perfectly aligned. But what I marvel at is at those trousers and how they hang.
The shoulders are identical to mine, or at least as far as I can tell from a picture. Huntsman treats pattern layout as an art form. Not just matching, but in how the pattern is placed and how darts and seams interact with the pattern. It is almost a shame to order solids or simple-patterned clothing from them.
post #40 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

I have seen quite a few Huntsman suits, and none have really had built-up shoulders. I'm guessing that's just iGent-lore.The stuff I have from Dege, Meyer, etc. is certainly heavier at the shoulders.

It's possible that they pad it according to the customer's body profile. I visited them after Dopey recommended them heartily, and the coat, how should I put it, gives me strong straight shoulders (though I already have straight shoulders to begin with, albeit with a lower right shoulder).

It's not massively and inelegantly padded, that's for sure, though the ends seem to have more padding/wadding (whatever) than my Poole. Might have smth to do with the sleeve heads, or leveling my shoulders, but this is all speculation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

The shoulders are identical to mine, or at least as far as I can tell from a picture. Huntsman treats pattern layout as an art form. Not just matching, but in how the pattern is placed and how darts and seams interact with the pattern. It is almost a shame to order solids or simple-patterned clothing from them.

It's my shoulders I tell you. I remember how Foo photo-shopped my coat -- smth about collar angle or smth of that sort.
post #41 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

It's possible that they pad it according to customer's body profile. I visited them after Dopey recommended them heartily, and the coat, how should I put it, gives me strong straight shoulders (though I already have straight shoulders to begin with, albeit with a lower right shoulder).

It's not massively and inelegantly padded, that's for sure though the ends seem to have more padding/wadding (whatever) than my Poole. Might have smth to do with the sleeve heads.
Are the shoulders padded or just the ends? I have sloped shoulders and they padded slightly to straighten the line, with, obviously, more buildup at the ends. But it is really not that much, though more than Dege, which had nothing but canvas until the sleevehead.

Actually . . . I think the shoulder line on yours is very similar to Hammick's, though I have no idea what either of you start out with.
post #42 of 148
^ It's padded lightly, and builds up quite a bit at the end (at least more than on my Poole, and Chan, though similar to my Whitcomb). I think it's my shoulders that are already straight to begin with.

I'll try to get a picture of the coat, and of me pinching the shoulders, and put it up some time soon since a picture speaks a thousand words.
post #43 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

3,200 gbp excl. VAT
I suspect that price is quite out of date. I was in there last Wednesday asking about a sports jacket. For pricing purposes we were looking at Porter & Harding Glenroyal and I was quoted £3,300 for just a jacket. Admittedly that was (I think) including VAT but it was just for a jacket and not a three-piece suit.

I also went into Poole. Both houses (RA and Poole) had the same way of dealing with prices. They both had a printed price book with a number of price bands depending on the price band of the fabric chosen. Rather comically there was a typo in the Poole price book for the jacket price that I was quoted, either that or I somehow chose a fabric resulting in a jacket costing £24,599 plus VAT. I knew I had expensive tastes but that's pushing it, even for me.

- Julian
post #44 of 148
Met Richard. Nice guy. Friendliest on the Row we came across.
post #45 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Can't wait to see, Medtech. Good luck with it. Why'd you settle on RA?

I'd get the flaps, myself. You can always tuck them in.

+ 1 bigstar[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › adventures in bespoke: Richard Anderson