or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what are the best suits for under $200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what are the best suits for under $200 - Page 5

post #61 of 81

Wow. I'm surprised that this thread is still alive. Maybe it should be stickied to eliminate the need for 75% of the new threads that pop up.

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataan View Post

Slim fit?  5'8", neck 16.5, weight 200 pounds is not slim.  You are the perfect build for Jos Bank Signature suits.  Keep in mind that as far as jacket length is concerned you have two issues:  how does the length look compared to your arms at your sides and how much of your butt does it cover?  Most places will have short sizes for those who are 5'7" or under.  Since you are only one inch taller you could probably wear short or regular - since suits are cut differently it would vary depending on the make of the suit.

Shoes should be black or burgundy, though black is probably a better choice if you only have one pair.  I just bought a pair of Rockport shoes and Bostonian shoes through Macy's at awesome prices (on sale and used 25% promo code).  Also bought a pair of Cole Haan shoes through Hauser Shoes at 35% off list.  Make sure you know your size, not just length but as important the width.  I am EE though can deal with E if I really like the shoe.  Not every size is available.  For example, you might have a shoe that has medium only up to a certain size, then for wide it's EEE only. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataan View Post

You probably know this but just to make sure -- never button both buttons of a two-button suit.  Button the top one when when standing/walking; leave both unbuttoned when sitting.  For alterations to the pants, get cuffs and a medium break rather than a full break (full break will swallow your shoes and looks weird if you are not tall).  It could be that previously you had full breaks on your pants since some tailors do that standard.

I recently purchase tailored fit (between slim and regular) Jos Bank Signature suit separates for $177.  I'm a 37.5S and used to get 38S but went with 37S and it fits really well, like a slim fit but doesn't constrain my shoulders.  Unfortunately, Banks slim fit suits are made with lower end wool so I wouldn't touch them -- I prefer 110 count or higher.

 
yes i know that, thank you. how about no break in the pants, and show off my socks a little.  did you get it tailored from jos bank? how much was it?

Please allow me to join this discussion to make a well-intentioned comment. In addition to the advice the OP has received about checking e-Bay and suit labels such as BB and Hardwick (with which I am unfamiliar), cataan's recommendations are solid. I own several JAB Signature and 1 Sig. Gold suit (size 44S, btw), which I have had altered by the tailors at the JAB stores for minimal cost. Alterations came to under $100 each time, iirc. ($55 is a representative figure.) I think the alterations fees are standard at all JAB stores. I can't comment on the slim-fit suits, but the fit of each of mine is as good as could be expected for OTR suits. If the ~$200 figure is really a guideline/limitation for you, you may want to check out JAB Sig., Sig. Gold, and tailored fit suits on one of the frequent sales, in addition to the other recommendations on this thread.

Regarding your desire to "show off [your] socks a little," socks should not be visible when you are standing or walking, but you may already know that. smile.gif

I have one question for cataan: Aren't you afraid of being forced off SF for making favorable comments about JAB?smile.gif
post #63 of 81

OP, let me put it this way: the first suit I ever bought, back in the early days of eBay, was a NWOT Brioni that the seller idiotically priced at $275 Buy It Now. I happened to stumble across the ad 30 minutes after posting and snapped it up immediately. Still have it to this day, even though its three-button look is now out of style (but will surely come back).

 

Point being: you're not going to find a bargain *that* good on eBay, at least not on Brioni, but that's not to say you won't for lesser but still nice brands. A friend bought a nice, late-model Zegna on eBay recently for $180 (their middle line - retails for $1,200 or so at Saks). Even slightly used, it is a HELL of a lot better than anything you'll find at Banana Republic -- or even versus the much-overhyped J. Crew Ludlow, which ain't exactly cheap at $700 for jacket and trousers.

 

If you want to hit the outlet stores to try to find something, good luck, but I'll note in advance that Nordstrom Rack is the only one that doesn't carry crap. All the big name outlets -- Off Fifth, Neiman's Last Call, Barneys, etc. -- sell crap produced specifically for their outlets, stuff that would NEVER see the light of day in a full-price store. Nordstrom Rack is the happy exception.

post #64 of 81
The sweet spot for your pant length is to have no break in the rear of the leg, but a little bit in front.
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrone View Post

man, I have been buying the wrong suit size for years now. I went to millinia mall and tried on jackets. you are absolutely right. even some size 40 fits me too. i like slim suits and in my collection of 42R i have a lot of perry ellis, kenneth cole reaction, and alfani red. I got all these suits on sale for around $100 - $150 do i just throw these suits away since i should be wearing a 42S?

 

If they do not fit you the way they should - and they are new suits purchased lately - then return them for a refund.

post #66 of 81

JohnVW - ha, yes, Jos Bank is often demeaned in this forum, but it just shows ignorance because for an OTR suit the sig. and sig golds are very good buys when bought on sale.  And I say that even though I own two custom-tailored suits that are of exquisite quality.

 

Rickrone - avoid no break for your pants.  Avoid extremes like no break or lots of break by staying in the middle which simply looks good.  If your socks show it looks like your pants are too short which you want to avoid.  Alterations at Banks are very inexpensive - I think it's 12 bucks for sleeves, 12 for hemming trousers, not sure what waist suppression is but probably no more than 15.  I wouldn't get anything major done but generally all you need is to shorten the sleeves a little, hem and cuff the pants, take in the jacket's waist a little.  Shouldn't be more than 40 bucks for all of that.  Note it really depends on the suit:  I need all of that with a 38S but with a 37S the sleeves are perfect, the jacket's waist is perfect, I just get the pants hemmed.

post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataan View Post

JohnVW - ha, yes, Jos Bank is often demeaned in this forum, but it just shows ignorance because for an OTR suit the sig. and sig golds are very good buys when bought on sale.  And I say that even though I own two custom-tailored suits that are of exquisite quality.

Rickrone - avoid no break for your pants.  Avoid extremes like no break or lots of break by staying in the middle which simply looks good.  If your socks show it looks like your pants are too short which you want to avoid.  Alterations at Banks are very inexpensive - I think it's 12 bucks for sleeves, 12 for hemming trousers, not sure what waist suppression is but probably no more than 15.  I wouldn't get anything major done but generally all you need is to shorten the sleeves a little, hem and cuff the pants, take in the jacket's waist a little.  Shouldn't be more than 40 bucks for all of that.  Note it really depends on the suit:  I need all of that with a 38S but with a 37S the sleeves are perfect, the jacket's waist is perfect, I just get the pants hemmed.

fistbump.gif
post #68 of 81
No, just no... You need to work more hours or something. There's no way anyone should be wearing a suit under $200 in the U.S.A theres no excuse for that, I mean I was in college 10 years ago and I spent more on suits than that and I was a bar back.
post #69 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

No, just no... You need to work more hours or something. There's no way anyone should be wearing a suit under $200 in the U.S.A theres no excuse for that, I mean I was in college 10 years ago and I spent more on suits than that and I was a bar back.

 

lol, work more hours. the money isn't the issue, i just purchased a pair of allen edmonds fifth ave. I am looking for a good deal at the $200 price range, and not msrp of $200.

I am not familiar with what is a good or bad brand, that is what my real question is. also what to look for in a good suit opposed to a bad suit.  

post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

No, just no... You need to work more hours or something. There's no way anyone should be wearing a suit under $200 in the U.S.A theres no excuse for that, I mean I was in college 10 years ago and I spent more on suits than that and I was a bar back.

lol, work more hours. the money isn't the issue, i just purchased a pair of allen edmonds fifth ave. I am looking for a good deal at the $200 price range, and not msrp of $200.
I am not familiar with what is a good or bad brand, that is what my real question is. also what to look for in a good suit opposed to a bad suit.  

Use the "Search" function on SF to locate threads dealing with details of how a suit should fit and search out pictures of ones that fit the wearer well and ones that don't. See what to look for to determine whether a suit fits well or not. Look for suits in stores in your area to see which labels offer styles and cuts that you like. If you find something you like, you may want to post pictures of you wearing it on SF (using current such pictures and feedback on them as a guide) to determine what features of the suit(s) and fit are OK and what should be changed. Having gotten this far, use the feedback you get and your own preferences to search e-Bay, thrift shops, stores, and online (including what is for sale on SF) for what is available in what you determine your price range to be.

I hope this helps. All the best in your quest!
post #71 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvw View Post


Use the "Search" function on SF to locate threads dealing with details of how a suit should fit and search out pictures of ones that fit the wearer well and ones that don't. See what to look for to determine whether a suit fits well or not. Look for suits in stores in your area to see which labels offer styles and cuts that you like. If you find something you like, you may want to post pictures of you wearing it on SF (using current such pictures and feedback on them as a guide) to determine what features of the suit(s) and fit are OK and what should be changed. Having gotten this far, use the feedback you get and your own preferences to search e-Bay, thrift shops, stores, and online (including what is for sale on SF) for what is available in what you determine your price range to be.

I hope this helps. All the best in your quest!

thank you, i am in the beginning of my journey to replace my whole wardrobe now that I am a big boy now :)

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrone View Post

lol, work more hours. the money isn't the issue, i just purchased a pair of allen edmonds fifth ave. I am looking for a good deal at the $200 price range, and not msrp of $200.
I am not familiar with what is a good or bad brand, that is what my real question is. also what to look for in a good suit opposed to a bad suit.  

Ok good, your OP looked like you were talking about buying new. Buying secondhand is a much better idea and understandable at that price point.
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvw View Post

...I have one question for cataan: Aren't you afraid of being forced off SF for making favorable comments about JAB?smile.gif

I've bought several JAB pieces, and thrifted several more. I thoroughly enjoy all of them.
post #74 of 81

Generally, Kenneth Cole suits are very well made for "off the rack" and you can find them for under 200. I suggest looking at K&G. They usually have a good selection.

post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senorguapo713 View Post

Generally, Kenneth Cole suits are very well made for "off the rack" and you can find them for under 200. I suggest looking at K&G. They usually have a good selection.

Ruh roh.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what are the best suits for under $200