or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.) - Page 45

post #661 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro View Post

Why? Eurostar from Paris to London is so convenient... I've even done round trip in 1 day (first train to Paris, last train to London).

Because I'd rather spend my time in Paris than London. smile.gif
post #662 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:32am
post #663 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:31am
post #664 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirnelli View Post

+1 re Lucca and his scissors dancing around your neck. He's the only bespoke shirtmaker I've seen do that schtick with the cardboard collar. He's a maniac, but it pays. Playing on the height & opening of the collar in front of a mirror is really an effective way to hone in on the best balance for your face. Surprised no one else does this. Also, he's the only one I've seen experiment on you with first button placement -- makes a huge difference when doing open neck.

 

 

Makes a huge difference I concur, and he puts real thought into it.  As you say as well the only one I've come across to ask about the button placement if you never/rarely wear ties.  I plan on giving him another go to sort out the issue with the sleeve/cuffs I have.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirnelli View Post

Mactire -- what's your experience with Demagne?

 

None, apart from seeing them on a list on the Chateau Olufsen blog, I couldn't get much information other than that out of the internet, even on depiedencap the forum en francais only talks about Courtot or Lucca.  Of the others on the list Halary is not well-regarded and Rolly is shut. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro View Post

Understand that. I was actually working/living in London at the time and escaped to Paris on the weekends.

Probably another RJ question, but what was the story/fate of Mitterrand's shirtmaker Thuillier?

 

According to the site below they closed their shop in the late 1990s and in 2012 Didier Thuillier relaunched the brand.  They have a phone number listed if you wish to be measured in Paris but do not give details on sur mesure etc.

 

http://www.thuillier-chemisier.fr/

post #665 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:25am
post #666 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro View Post


Why? Eurostar from Paris to London is so convenient... I've even done round trip in 1 day (first train to Paris, last train to London).

 

I was gonna say... the travel time for one way is 2 - 2,5 hrs. I have even made the trip from Cologne, Germany to London and back in a day.

 

It's still more annoying than not going at all, but it's not too bad either ;) 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post


Because I'd rather spend my time in Paris than London. smile.gif

 

Ok, good point.

post #667 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:23am
post #668 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro View Post

Smalto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_PGsHJ_elo

I think the Smalto cutter used to work at Cifo

 

 

Wow the speech of the guy about tailoring is horrible ! 

Now, I understand why Smalto is on sold this year.

post #669 of 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighToned View Post
 

 

 

Wow the speech of the guy about tailoring is horrible ! 

Now, I understand why Smalto is on sold this year.

 

Well... what does he say?

post #670 of 1430
It's not that bad. He just explains the time it takes to make a suit and the time it takes to become a tailor.

Charles de Luca's interview is good though. He's a natural on camera.
post #671 of 1430

Well, I'm shock by this part of the interview :

 

"Tailoring techniques didn't evolve, we always very traditional, in the old tradition.

Therefore, materials are now changing. We are now changing for more and more fused, less horses hair.

Nowdays, we have trouble to found supplies. We are now required to adjust to the proposed solution."

post #672 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/19/14 at 10:00am
post #673 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:24am
post #674 of 1430
...
Edited by Kuro - 2/28/14 at 9:24am
post #675 of 1430

Lino Ventura was very close to Cifonelli familly. Massimo told me that Mr. Ventura used to eat pasta with them on week ends.

 

 

 

Finally, I resize my pictures for my post on Kenjiro Suzuki (that you can see here).

 

 

Kenjiro Suzuki was alone this afternoon. (He normally work with his wife and one intern)

I came few times and I never meet his wife. She might be working from home.

 

Mr. Suzuki is fluent in French and Japanese. Unfortunately, he is not speaking English. 

He told me that he will learn soon because he wants to work with customers in London.

 

Mr. Suzuki learned a lot at Smalto, so his cut is very Smalto-esque. He add few measurements for his own style.

He has 50% French customers and 50% Japanese customers. He get famous in Japan mostly because of NHK documentary.

 

Price for a 2 pieces suit is starting at 3.5000 euros. 

Mr. Suzuki is very, very busy. He told me that it would take at least 2 months for a suit. 

He is already thinking of hiring someone (an other talented tailor) since it's pretty hard to satisfy every customers. 

 

Every year, Mr. Suzuki is travelling in Japan for a trunk show at Wako Ginza (department store).

Price will be more expensive than his price in Paris. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › French Tailoring Thread (e.g. Camps de Luca, Cifonelli, Smalto and etc.)